Is it time to start an Irish Atheists Association?

Is it time to start an Irish Atheists Association

Yes I'd join and pay €25 membership fee
87%
You can't herd cats
6%
I don't have €25 euro to spare
7%

Total votes: 86
dandabananaman

Post by dandabananaman » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:42 am

My good friend from Luimneach,I'm not out to preach to anybody.I have raised three children without a need for either organised religion or organised atheism.Today i watch my children raise my grand children in much the same way. My friends in the pub and my friend who supplys my weed all know of my atheism but it is a very small part of my life and who I am.
Mcampbell

Post by Mcampbell » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:48 am

I am in! just let me know where and when! also, i second on the having meetings outside of dublin afew times depending on members{im in shannon} would we be considering this also as some sort of political group? since none of these so called catholic ones seem to be able to take care of the job!
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:57 am

I think that the principle of a group is accepted and now we just need to decide on the format.

I would suggest a sort of pressure group agitating for secularism.
Not so much a club but something like the Freedom From Religion Foundation in the US.
BubbleWrap
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by BubbleWrap » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:15 am

Hmm? I really don't know what to think of this idea. I had wished for such an association ages ago while heavily immersed in the HAI on the committee. I got frustrated with the softly softly approach.

But I do think the Humanist Association are doing the correct thing the way they are (except for the loss of the newsletter, but that's another story).

But, guys and gals, be warned, organisation can be a bitch! Committee meetings, lost personal time and money, oh and did I say committee meetings!

I would say, I probably would join and pay my 25 doodles, and I would suggest you keep things simple. As simple as you can get it, simple.

Oh, yes, and expect only a handful of people to actually do any work, while the rest pay their dues and tell you what you should be doing.
thomasbrunkard

Post by thomasbrunkard » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:17 am

I think the point regarding fragmentation of the atheists of Ireland is a valid one but personally I find the HAI is not as direct and has a different philosophy.

Humanism by its nature is a positve belief whereas atheism is the absence of a belief.

By being a negative pronouncement an atheist agenda would be hard to quantify without it becoming something else. Personally I would favour a secular lobby that has numbers and a national organisation. I think it is a bizarre situation that the bulk of our country's schools are still run under a church ethos and that parents are having children baptised just to guarantee them getting an education.

This is one of many agendas that a secularist association should engage with but it would be open to those professing a religion to be involved also.

The point I'm trying to make is what does atheism stand for? Take the issue of abortion, I don't believe in any supernatural mumbo jumbo though I don't support 'convenience' abortions. I support euthanasia but I don't support a blanket law allowing it lest it gets taken advantage of.

So what does an atheism association do? Does it prosletise the believers? Does it promote an ethical outlook that is not necessarily agreeable by all atheists?

Atheists don't believe in God(s) and accordingly thats where we should start. We should ask where is the belief in God is exerting undue and unfair influence on Irish life as these are the issues that affect all atheists regardless of their ethical beliefs.

When this discussion is had the stakeholders should take their draft mission statement and compare it to that of the HAI.

If it is either significantly different from what HAI do or if HAI are not actively or effectively pursuing the same aims then we have the need to create a new group.

If this is done then I pledge to dedicate my time to making this organisation work as best as I can contribute as an individual.

If such an organisation is created its focus should be heavily on recruitment. A lobby is only influential if it can demonstrate it has a large mobilisable voting bloc. Accordingly membership should be a voluntary contribution. If funding is needed then there other ways of getting it that can be examined. A study of Barrack Obama's campaign might be worth a look. (Seriously)

To sooner a large mass of people with atheistic beliefs organise into a large mass the better. If it is an elitist paid membership organisation then it will be reduced to a monthly talkshop and will wittle out.
heather

wary.. but interested

Post by heather » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:40 am

I've only lurked on this site- I joined after hearing two friends (fellow atheists) talk about it.

I like the idea of an association looking at the rights of non-religious people; for example to raise a child in a non-religious education, to get a status on the census for "atheists" as a category.

However, I voted that you can't herd cats... because I'm a middle-way kinda person, not a radical atheist. On the spectrum of pro-abortion (abort all babies) and pro-life (keep em all), I'm pro-choice. In that way, I'm pro-choice when it comes to beliefs. I would not be interested in any activities which promote atheism to others. I'm non evangelical about my beliefs, and find evangelism unbearable.

Of course it might sound like a contradiction to say that I would be interested in an organisation which promoted debate in and around atheism, and took measures to get recognition for the validity of atheist beliefs.

I would very much be interested in donating, or paying a membership fee to an organisation promoting choice and alternatives, and developing an awareness as described above.... but gathering from the discussions about atheism, I would be wary about becoming a 'member' and associating myself with any organisation which purported to stand for my non-beliefs.

This probably points to why I am atheist in the first place...

and... it's why I voted you can't herd cats!
maledettobenedetto

Post by maledettobenedetto » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:58 am

Count me in.

I think the goal of the organisation/association should be to shout from the rooftops that the emperor has no clothes.

Let's get an "outing" campaign going to get public figures to declare their non-belief.

By the way, are meetings of posters here already held?
dj357

Post by dj357 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:57 am

dandabananaman wrote:My good friend from Luimneach,I'm not out to preach to anybody.I have raised three children without a need for either organised religion or organised atheism.Today i watch my children raise my grand children in much the same way. My friends in the pub and my friend who supplys my weed all know of my atheism but it is a very small part of my life and who I am.
well, I'm glad to see that religion has very little impact on the lives of you and your family, it's a wonderful thing, but not everyone is so lucky, and I can't just stand idly by while religion continues to wreak havoc around the world, and if an association of atheists or whatever coming together to do something about that only requests 25squid off me to do my part, I feel it's a small sum to pay.
"In meinem Himmel gibt's keinen Gott!"
I'm An Atheist...
Midwest Humanists!! - http://midwesthumanists.wordpress.com
skepticgriggsy

Post by skepticgriggsy » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:47 am

How abiut the Irish Naturalist/ Rationalist Society to reveal our abhorrence of the paranoraml and any nonsense? It is for us to help the cause of reason using the natural world rather than going for the irrational in whatever form. :wink:
The great skeptic Martin Gardner is a fideist.
We should be new atheists- anti-theists- to slam the scams of religion. Ecrasez l'infame!
happy

religion/atheism

Post by happy » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:50 am

Does anyone have any thoughts on what issues an atheist group would take on which the HAI doesn't already?

Happy