UCC Atheist Group Forming.

FXR

UCC Atheist Group Forming.

Post by FXR » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:30 pm

adamd164 wrote:
Following on from the thread about NUIG, a few people PMd me saying that they'd be interested in setting up a soc in UCC. It was attempted last year but probably not done the right way.

The reason I'm starting this thread is cause it will hopefully be seen by lots of people, and also because I'd like the society to have ties with the newly-formed Atheist Ireland association - to co-host any meetings/events in the Cork area. Assuming Michael Nugent et al. are approving. It could provide free meeting rooms on UCC's campus (which is fairly central), etc.

Anyway, there's probably going to be a meeting held this January to elect a committee for it (half dozen members roughly).

Once the committee elected, the presence of it can be made known to the wider student body and submitted to the societies guild for official status.

Any advice / comments / personal insults more than welcome! :)

I'll notify in this thread when the room is booked.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by adamd164 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:40 pm

Thanks frank! :oops:
Jennie

Post by Jennie » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:41 pm

I'm starting to get a bit of an adrenalin rush in anticipation Adam :) I hope we can get it up and running this time around!
DollarLama
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by DollarLama » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:27 pm

Good luck - let us know how this proceeds. Setting up Atheist Societies within universities is one of the goals of Atheist Ireland, so you have our support.

Any reason why there are two threads on this?

regards
$Lama
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:57 pm

You should get in touch with the Philosophy society as they love having debates/lectures on the negative values of religion, also the science/physics soc as religion has often inhibited the rational progress of science, and still does it today.
I know on UCC Bebo there are many Atheists, so find a few and email them.
Imagine getting Dawkins to UCC.
dj357

Post by dj357 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:38 pm

aZerogodist wrote:You should get in touch with the Philosophy society as they love having debates/lectures on the negative values of religion, also the science/physics soc as religion has often inhibited the rational progress of science, and still does it today.
I know on UCC Bebo there are many Atheists, so find a few and email them.
Imagine getting Dawkins to UCC.
a good friend of mine by the name of Shane is the Philosoph Secretary, he'd be very interested in the group, so definitely get in touch with them!
"In meinem Himmel gibt's keinen Gott!"
I'm An Atheist...
Midwest Humanists!! - http://midwesthumanists.wordpress.com
CRonnie

Re: UCC Atheist Group Forming.

Post by CRonnie » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:58 pm

This sounds like a great idea, I'm a UCC student and that's one society I'd definitely join.
True equality requires secularism.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:26 pm

Good to hear CRonnie - head over to the Student Societies part of this forum to catch up on where the next meeting is.
Welcome to our forums! :)
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
ksmith

Post by ksmith » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:03 am

Hey, just read about this today in the UCC Express. I remember people trying to start it last year but this already seems to be more organised. I'm 2nd year Arts majoring in "Religions and Global Diversity". I'd love to be a part of it, how do I sign up?
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:08 am

Welcome to our forum ksmith. :)

If you head over to the Student Societies section you can catch up on what's been happening so far and how you can get involved.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics