Interview on BBC Radio Ulster this Sunday morning

MichaelNugent
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Interview on BBC Radio Ulster this Sunday morning

Post by MichaelNugent » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:06 pm

I will be interviewed briefly on Sunday Sequence on BBC Radio Ulster at about 9 a.m. tomorrow.

The topic is prayer and faith healing, in light of the American couple who decided to pray for their dying child instead of calling an ambulance.

I'm checking up today on scientific studies about the lack of power of prayer. If you know of any, can you please let me know? Thanks.
lostexpectation

Re: Interview on BBC Radio Ulster this Sunday morning

Post by lostexpectation » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:18 pm

MichaelNugent wrote: I'm checking up today on scientific studies about the lack of power of prayer. If you know of any, can you please let me know? Thanks.
does one really need a study for that, is that really the issue,i mean once you get into the discussion.... the child was seriously sick.
Last edited by lostexpectation on Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
test
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:22 pm

I googled wetenschappelijk onderzoek naar gebed which means scientific research of prayer in dutch. I got these results, first two are a maroccan site which didn't work when I tried to log on but they are probaly in favour of prayer.

but this one: http://skepp.be/artikels/pseudo-wetensc ... d-genezing

is done by 1802 patients. maybe a bit more scientific. you can translate through google.

Any problems with translation PM me and I can help you.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
peter63
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by peter63 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:26 pm

Viewing of some of the articles may require a payment.

Free Articles: PubMed Central I used "prayer" as a search term.

Scientific American article [Edit: this is another article about the Study of the Therapeutic Effects of Intercessory Prayer (STEP) that I mention below]

[ Edit: deleted three links. articles not that relevant on second thought. Apologies]

The most scientifically rigorous study to date (as far as I know): (Complete article can be purchased for 31.50 Dollars) can be found here:http://www.ahjonline.com
Volume 151, Issue 4, Pages 934-942 (April 2006)

ABSTRACT

Study of the Therapeutic Effects of Intercessory Prayer (STEP) in cardiac bypass patients: A multicenter randomized trial of uncertainty and certainty of receiving intercessory prayer

Herbert Benson, MDal, Jeffery A. Dusek, PhDal, Jane B. Sherwood, RNm, Peter Lam, PhDm, Charles F. Bethea, MDb, William Carpenter, MDivc, Sidney Levitsky, MDd, Peter C. Hill, MDe, Donald W. Clem Jr., MAf, Manoj K. Jain, MD, MPHg, David Drumel, MDivgh, Stephen L. Kopecky, MDi, Paul S. Mueller, MDj, Dean Marekk, Sue Rollins, RN, MPHb, Patricia L. Hibberd, MD, PhDlm

Abstract
Background

Intercessory prayer is widely believed to influence recovery from illness, but claims of benefits are not supported by well-controlled clinical trials. Prior studies have not addressed whether prayer itself or knowledge/certainty that prayer is being provided may influence outcome. We evaluated whether (1) receiving intercessory prayer or (2) being certain of receiving intercessory prayer was associated with uncomplicated recovery after coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery.

Methods

Patients at 6 US hospitals were randomly assigned to 1 of 3 groups: 604 received intercessory prayer after being informed that they may or may not receive prayer; 597 did not receive intercessory prayer also after being informed that they may or may not receive prayer; and 601 received intercessory prayer after being informed they would receive prayer. Intercessory prayer was provided for 14 days, starting the night before CABG. The primary outcome was presence of any complication within 30 days of CABG. Secondary outcomes were any major event and mortality.

Results

In the 2 groups uncertain about receiving intercessory prayer, complications occurred in 52% (315/604) of patients who received intercessory prayer versus 51% (304/597) of those who did not (relative risk 1.02, 95% CI 0.92-1.15). Complications occurred in 59% (352/601) of patients certain of receiving intercessory prayer compared with the 52% (315/604) of those uncertain of receiving intercessory prayer (relative risk 1.14, 95% CI 1.02-1.28). Major events and 30-day mortality were similar across the 3 groups.

Conclusions

Intercessory prayer itself had no effect on complication-free recovery from CABG, but certainty of receiving intercessory prayer was associated with a higher incidence of complications.

New York Times article about the above study

Hope this helps.
Last edited by peter63 on Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
“God and Country are an unbeatable team; they break all records for oppression and bloodshed” Luis Buñuel. Quoted in The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:34 pm

http://www.nd.nl/artikelen/2006/april/0 ... bij-ziekte

an otherone in dutch, discovered that when I right klick you have a translation option aswell.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
MichaelNugent
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by MichaelNugent » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:17 pm

Thanks very much. Those are very helpful.
robdonn
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by robdonn » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:50 pm

Study of the Therapeutic Effects of Intercessory Prayer (STEP) in cardiac bypass patients

For a summary of that experiment, check out The God Delusion, chapter 2. There is a section called The Great Prayer Experiment.

Edit: Whoops, just realised that Peter already linked to this one.
I'm fucking Matt Damon!!
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:05 am

The 2006 study was funded by the Templeton Foundation, and was ridiculed afterwards by secular and religious alike.

Needless to say this has not stopped the Templeton Foundation from funding similar studies to the tune of millions: http://www.templeton.org/funding_areas/ ... editation/

In other words, they will keep on trying to "prove" their faith no matter what it costs them. There is an agenda here, and they are not going to let evidence and results dissuade them from pursuing their goal. I suspect that the same goes, mutatis mutandis, for the individuals trying to prove their personal faith by prayer.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:18 am

Can we hear that interview anywhere online?
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:06 am

Radio Ulster has a "listen again" feature http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/ra ... _sequence/
but they most likely won't have this morning's show up yet.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics