Next Cork Meeting

Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Next Cork Meeting

Post by Ygern » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:54 pm

Saturday 29th August, 3.30pm in Tribes Coffee Shop, 8 Tuckey Street, Cork

This is an informal meeting, a more formal one is scheduled for September.
Among other things we will be discussing the AGM & AI campaigns for those who were unable to attend in Dublin last month.
Hope to see you all there.

If you want more details, please let me know at: southwestATatheist.ie
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Irish Shaman

Re: Next Cork Meeting

Post by Irish Shaman » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:02 pm

*fingers crossed*

I really hope someone can get down to film there. I know there is previous footage from Cork on the AI YouTube channel, but I only reached Dublin so far.

Corks a bit of a stretch for me from Dundalk/Newry, since I've never actually been there... I know people from Cork, but never been there or heard of that particular venue.

I would head down, but only if I knew that nobody else would be around to film some of it, since it'd include more recent updates since the July 11th meeting.

- Paul M.
*COUGH* SHAMELESSPLUG *COUGH*
http://www.youtube.com/1rishShaman

Atheism, Atheist Ireland, Gaming, The Atheist Experience... what more could you want?
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:15 pm

aZerogodist (Tom) usually looks after videoing events in Cork, and he will be there AFAIK.
But this time we are having an informal discussion and doing some internal "housekeeping" so we don't really need to record it. We might post a few pics of people quaffing coffee though :)
If you can quaff coffee, that is.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Irish Shaman

Post by Irish Shaman » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:23 pm

Ygern wrote:aZerogodist (Tom) usually looks after videoing events in Cork, and he will be there AFAIK.
But this time we are having an informal discussion and doing some internal "housekeeping" so we don't really need to record it. We might post a few pics of people quaffing coffee though :)
If you can quaff coffee, that is.
Thats good to know, at least there is someone available to film in the different regions on Ireland where meetings are held. I guessed it was informal due to it being hosted in a coffee joint :lol:

I normally have about 10+ strong black coffee's a day to be honest. No milk, sugar, sweeteners etc. Just pure or instant stuff. I really enjoy it with nothing added.

I might not be able to attend it was all, since college starts again either late August or early Sept, I have two courses and I'm thinking of attempting to set up a college Atheist/chill out and game etc after-hours club in the Newry college, so have to figure that out in the meantime.
*COUGH* SHAMELESSPLUG *COUGH*
http://www.youtube.com/1rishShaman

Atheism, Atheist Ireland, Gaming, The Atheist Experience... what more could you want?
Citybone

Post by Citybone » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:12 pm

I got work on saturdays :( . Enjoy the meeting
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by adamd164 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:17 pm

Irish Shaman wrote:I normally have about 10+ strong black coffee's a day to be honest. No milk, sugar, sweeteners etc. Just pure or instant stuff. I really enjoy it with nothing added.
A man after my own heart! :mrgreen:
pantsheadmagee

Post by pantsheadmagee » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:08 am

Ooh, that's today! I'll be there- who else is about?
anadub25

Post by anadub25 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:28 pm

So how did it go?
"Religion is comparable to a childhood neurosis."

- Sigmund Freud -
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:43 pm

Good get togather, met another group,that were protesting against the blasphemy law,they where handing out protest postcards, which we should also be doing.

Good chat some even about atheism, topic of debate was 'burkas freedom of choice or oppression'we forgot to have a vote, but it looks like as we mainly talked about burkas in school, that they should be moderatly allowed, and incorperated within a school uniform, instead of a type of secular totalitarianism, outlawing freedom to wear a peice of clothing, Peig would be turning in her grave if you banned head-scalfs. Another point was that, more muslim private schools would appear causing segregation, and fundamentism. Though i see it as sexist oppresion, the change has to come about with knowledgable muslims with an increased world view, rather than a closed cavelike view.
Thats my view point, that forced banning of burkas' would be no better than muslim women being forced to wear them. Its a good idea to have a topic for discussion at these meetup's.
-Tom
Atheist Ireland Youtube
HOME RULE not ROME RULE
If I'm your mission shepherd, best give it up, your welcome on my boat..god aren't. -firefly
Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies-links to local clubs & news
Rigsby

Post by Rigsby » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:39 pm

aZerogodist wrote:topic of debate was 'burkas freedom of choice or oppression'we forgot to have a vote, but it looks like as we mainly talked about burkas in school, that they should be moderatly allowed, and incorperated within a school uniform, instead of a type of secular totalitarianism, outlawing freedom to wear a peice of clothing
Definetly a difficult question, but Id have to say burkas shouldnt be allowed in publicly funded schools. The reality is if they are allowed, then the muslim fathers will force all their girls to wear them, so it will never be about choice for them.

The reason we have school uniforms, is so kids conform to a standard and dont divide themselves by class or ethnicity. Burkas defeat the whole original purpose of school uniforms.