Dawkins Talk RDS Thursday September 17th

davef

Re: Dawkins Talk RDS Thursday September 17th

Post by davef » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:33 pm

I now have one spare ticket. PM me if you would like it. Gratuities/favours/etc accepted. No pints, though, cos I'll be driving from Wexford. Hopefully in my new van!

EDIT: Ticket's gone.
Last edited by davef on Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peter63
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by peter63 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:35 pm

I have a spare ticket. Anyone interested can PM me but I won't be able to check for messages after 11:00am tomorrow morning.

[ticket is gone now]
“God and Country are an unbeatable team; they break all records for oppression and bloodshed” Luis Buñuel. Quoted in The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by adamd164 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:35 am

Interview with Dawkins in today's Irish Times: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sci ... 10483.html

This bit jumped at me:
The Greatest Show on Earth ends with a certain despair over surveys results which show how many people believe in the idea that the earliest humans lived at the same time as dinosaurs. In Ireland, 27 per cent agreed with that statement. Dawkins calls those who actively propagate the idea “history deniers”.
Demoo1

Post by Demoo1 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:54 pm

Anyone have tickets for tonight, I know its a long shot...
Hemingway
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Hemingway » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:04 pm

Hi guys. Just so you can Identify me I'll be wearing my T-shirt with a Panda holding two guns. Ironic eh? Try to save the hoors and thats how they repay ya.

I'm coming from Wicklow, so I'll try and get to the pub as close to six as I can but should be there before half past.

See y'all later........
Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken
Stargazer

Post by Stargazer » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:12 pm

Will probably show up to the Horseshoe around half 6 or so so hopefully meet some of you there, will be bringing a friend along too, I have a ticket and he doesn't so we're ready to do some begging as well as having a good chat!
Do I dare disturb the universe?
Serendipity1

Post by Serendipity1 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:16 pm

Final try friends ........ any spare tickets? I had requested previously but spares which appeared later appear to have gone to subsequent posters....

Please PM me if you have or may have a spare.

Given that there are no physical tickets, anyone know how entry is going to be policed? By showing them the text message received from IT?

What are the chances that some kind souls attending on their own will show up at the Horseshoe with a view to getting a fellow heretic in to the event???

Thanks all.......
robdonn
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by robdonn » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:18 pm

I just realised that I've no idea what time this is on at.
I'm fucking Matt Damon!!
davef

Post by davef » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:43 pm

Starts at half seven. It seems people will be meeting in The Horseshow House from around half six.
FXR

Post by FXR » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:56 pm

robdonn wrote:I just realised that I've no idea what time this is on at.

7.30 pm the pandemonium begins.

I've promised my spare to a poster but I'd suggest if whoever it is has not turned up by 7pm I'll just give it to anyone there who wants it.

I don't know what company they got to organise this but they should be shot. If the tickets are allocated in pairs based on a list of names and addresses what's to stop somone turning up and giving someone elses name? Do you need ID?

The IT seem to be making it up as they go along. When they said they's send a letter out it sounded a bit hairy and it turned out it was just someone coming up with an idea off the top of their head. They also said it's way oversubscribed and there is a waiting list for tickets. How was the list complied and do the people who were unsucessful even know they are on a waiting list?

This might turn into survival of the fittest.......... :roll:
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.