Dawkins Talk RDS Thursday September 17th

Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Dawkins Talk RDS Thursday September 17th

Post by Beebub » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:36 pm

I wasn't disappointed. While he was reading from the opening chapter, I remembered that it was promoted as a 'Reading'. So it wasn't a lecture or a talk. It was a reading from his new book. And once I remembered that and was then not expecting a lecture I just enjoyed it. Some questions were good, some a bit sillly. If one amongst you was the one who asked him what he would tell Darwin if he met him today, be prepared to be slagged. It sounded so much like the primary motive of the question was to tell Dawkins that he had just finished reading The Origin of the Species, as if Dawkins' response was going to be 'good for you!'.

Fair play to whoever went slighlty off topic to inform him that Atheist Ireland had been set up since his last visit and that both he and the God Delusion would have been an influence on that. Was that someone here? Interesting question too.

The sound was a bit of a problem, we probably could have had more questions if he could have heard properly.

The moderator failed miserably with the nutbar. Long before Dawkins went down off the stage he was muttering some sort of objection but let him waffle on. I wouldn't have minded if the nutbar was a proper one, as in challenging him on his views, but he spent more time telling us his family history and personal medical details and giving out about having to travel to the 'wrong side of town' than anything else.

Given the level of interest and the amount who would have been told tickets were gone, there msut be a lot of pissed off people who could easily have been there.

€15 for the book was a reasonable price too, I was pleased to be able to support Hughes & Hughes for bringing him over. Both Dawkins and the publisher would have profited from my purchase regardless of whether he came here or not, but it's unlikely I would have bought it from Hughes & Hughes had I not gone to the reading. I hope they do it again.
marklen
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by marklen » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:00 am

Still in pub. Quite drunk. FXR has some good stories.
davef

Post by davef » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:39 am

I'm at home in bed now, snuggling up to my autographed copy of TGSOE. 'Twas cool to meet some of ye - albeit very briefly! Stargazer, I hope you enjoyed it! Sorry for disappearing abruptly at the entrance. There seemed to be some confusion about where everyone would sit, and I ended up just jumping into the first seat I could find. A good evening, I must say.

Did anybody else think Dawkins' smile looked a little forced as the queue came to an end?
stardustmary

Post by stardustmary » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:43 am

Thanks very much to the patient guys who responded to me about tickets......I was cycling to the event and got waaaay lost so I was a few minutes late for the talk, but was able to get in no problem.

And yes: seeing all those empty seats (not to mention the TON of free space where people could have stood or sat was really, REALLY annoying)

However: I was delighted to see him in person (he really looked wonderful), and was especially proud of his courage and candor in discussing the very real and growing threat that Islam is posing to science in the Universities in the UK.
For this act alone , I consider him a hero.

cheers,

Mo.

I would favour a more charitable attitude in discussing the "nutter". He said right off the bat that he struggles with manic depression and I suppose other assorted mental illness. His comments were a bit all over the map, but I felt he was genuine in trying to convey something of the struggle he has had with Faith and Reason.

Plus, it is certainly not the first time Richard Dawkins has been taken to task for his attitude, lol. He handled it just fine.

PPS: What a wonderful thing it was to hear Richard Dawkins endorse St. Thomas Aquinas's work :lol:
dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by dugges » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:33 am

Wow, all I can say is now I know how my old lady felt after going to see the pope.

The ranter was a complete toss pot, they could have at least sent a proper nutter like Egan or John Waters to get his arse handed to him, not some randomer.... bit of an anti-climax when he finished his tirade.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by adamd164 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:10 am

Beebub wrote:Fair play to whoever went slighlty off topic to inform him that Atheist Ireland had been set up since his last visit and that both he and the God Delusion would have been an influence on that. Was that someone here? Interesting question too.
That was meself. I gave him our website address after. :)
Beebub wrote:€15 for the book was a reasonable price too, I was pleased to be able to support Hughes & Hughes for bringing him over. Both Dawkins and the publisher would have profited from my purchase regardless of whether he came here or not, but it's unlikely I would have bought it from Hughes & Hughes had I not gone to the reading. I hope they do it again.
Yep, likewise. I already had the audiobook of it bought, but I got the physical thing mostly to get him to sign it. Seemed like they were selling swiftly too!

Thanks again for the heads up with this Beebub. Lots of people didn't manage to get tickets clearly, so I owe you one and I'm sure a few others on here do too!
imokyrok

Post by imokyrok » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:39 am

adamd164 wrote:
Beebub wrote:Fair play to whoever went slighlty off topic to inform him that Atheist Ireland had been set up since his last visit and that both he and the God Delusion would have been an influence on that. Was that someone here? Interesting question too.
That was meself. I gave him our website address after. :)
Beebub wrote:€15 for the book was a reasonable price too, I was pleased to be able to support Hughes & Hughes for bringing him over. Both Dawkins and the publisher would have profited from my purchase regardless of whether he came here or not, but it's unlikely I would have bought it from Hughes & Hughes had I not gone to the reading. I hope they do it again.
Yep, likewise. I already had the audiobook of it bought, but I got the physical thing mostly to get him to sign it. Seemed like they were selling swiftly too!

Thanks again for the heads up with this Beebub. Lots of people didn't manage to get tickets clearly, so I owe you one and I'm sure a few others on here do too!
I got the book on Friday in an independent bookshop but I'm curious to hear there's an audiobook already as well. Presumably Dawkins is the narrator? I must pick one up. Where did you get it?

I was delighted he took the time to sign his book last night and he signed my copy of TGD as well. I was tempted to bring all his books with me - didn't want to appear greedy. :wink:
imokyrok

Post by imokyrok » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:50 am

dugges wrote:Wow, all I can say is now I know how my old lady felt after going to see the pope.

The ranter was a complete toss pot, they could have at least sent a proper nutter like Egan or John Waters to get his arse handed to him, not some randomer.... bit of an anti-climax when he finished his tirade.
I felt a bit sorry for him tbh. He had clearly taken Dawkins previous quip about us evolving in the future to pass on genes for clumsiness with condoms personally as he is from a family of 13 (and has manic depression). I think it would have worked out better if Dawkins had been able to make out the guys accent - it was very broad. While the sound wasn't brilliant I think Dawkins has trouble making out unfamiliar accents (as do I for that matter). He certainly tried hard enough to understand the ex-fundie though. In the end the only bit he caught was the accusation that Dawkins "never let his hair down and had a good belly laugh". That was a lovely example of cognitive dissonance given the man had just sat through half an hour of Dawkins having the audience in stitches.
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:42 am

That was meself. I gave him our website address after.
Well done. He seemed geniunely pleased to hear of the organisation.
Thanks again for the heads up with this Beebub.
Most welcome.

Sorry I didn't get to meet up, as mentioned I was with my missus and my folks, so it wouldn't really have suited. Besides, we got there just before it started and left pretty promptly to let the sitter go.
He had clearly taken Dawkins previous quip about us evolving in the future to pass on genes for clumsiness with condoms personally as he is from a family of 13 (and has manic depression).
I'm not sure I agree. I think he had long prepared what he was going to say and his main beef seemed to be that Dawkin was too intellectual and elitsit for his own good, as is The Irish Times and its readers and it shouldn't have been held on the southside. He was accusing Dawkins of not fighting for good causes. He even mentioned the starving in Africa on his way out. He was clearly quite mad. I too was disapppointed that a better nutbar didn't take him on. Waters wouldn't have the cohones to show his face at an event such as this. He might have done if he had his band of brainy religious friends with him though!

I too loved his reposnse to the St. Thomas Aquinas question. That's what so great about him. I'm sure the bishop in Maynooth has a sneer when he regails people of this, thinking that he'd have Dawkins on the back foot if he ever brought it up with him. Dawkins simply says, I never knew that. That's great, I'm delighted!
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Bik » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:53 am

What was the St. Thomas Aquinas question (for those of us not lucky enough to have attended :( )?
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers