Dawkins Talk RDS Thursday September 17th

Morgase

Re: Dawkins Talk RDS Thursday September 17th

Post by Morgase » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:32 pm

That Irish Times article was rather poorly written. They should have asked Beebub to write it instead!

I really enjoyed the reading and was thrilled to get the Selfish Gene signed as well as the new book. I'm on a high!

I would have loved to meet you all but had to be back at work in Kilkenny this morning. With any luck (crosses fingers and toes) there will be more readings / talks of a similar nature in Dublin in the near future.
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:17 pm

he said that ordinary evolution was probably not going on in developed countries any more
He also most certainly did not say this and it's rather a stupidly put sentence. He was presenting a book claiming to show 'evidence' for Evolution. Why then in a Q & A afterwards would he say anything like 'ordinary evloution was probably not going on'. What does that even mean??

Of course evolution is 'going on' as it always has. He was suggesting that human evolution has probably changed and is no longer based on a need to survive.

I'm sure Dawkins was chuffed with the way this piece was written (if he read it).

Looking forward to seeing him on the Late Late tonight (yes, I'm in on a Friday watching the Late Late, yes, i have no life!)
Hemingway
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Hemingway » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:52 pm

I really enjoyed the talk.

I'm sorry I didnt get to the pub to see y'all but I drove from Wicklow and didnt get to the hall until 7:20 so I went straight in with a copy of the book under me oxter.

I was only a few feet from the disturbed gentleman and I can tell you I found it difficult to understand his ramblings. The chap was obviously not the full shilling. Ah sure it takes all sorts I suppose.

Good night was had by me and me mate though.
Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken
anadub25

Post by anadub25 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:07 pm

Is he really 68! Ive Tubridy on now, was Dawkins already on? No way im watching annoying Tubridy if the Dawkins bit is over.
"Religion is comparable to a childhood neurosis."

- Sigmund Freud -
Morgase

Post by Morgase » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:17 pm

anadub25 wrote:Is he really 68! Ive Tubridy on now, was Dawkins already on? No way im watching annoying Tubridy if the Dawkins bit is over.
Yeah it's over and done. It was a farce really. He asked him one question about the book and then moved onto the god thing, does he want a funeral... He got a show of hands from the audience of who believes in god as if to say "well you can't call all these people delusional now can you?"

Edit: formatting
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by adamd164 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:23 pm

Yeah, Tubbers only wanted to ask about atheism cos "it's what we're all interested in". What is it about the Irish mentality that you're still seen as having 2 heads when you come out and say it? :roll:

Silence was deafening when RD said the Vatican was a "gigantic, very expensive, rich waste of time". Classic! :lol:
dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by dugges » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:26 am

adamd164 wrote: Silence was deafening when RD said the Vatican was a "gigantic, very expensive, rich waste of time". Classic! :lol:
He called the Vatican "Toy Town"
RTÉ should do a piece on atheism by all means.....but FFS

Dawkins wasted an evening to get half arse questions about The God Delusion, while trying to plug the new book (if anyone noticed, when Tubridy was plugging the book at the end - the camera was 100% on Dawkins) Dawkins could have been somewhere else giving a reading/lecture

If I do a phd in Economics and I go on the Late Late, am I going to be asked about by religious beliefs??? Just because my last book was on how religiosity will not help gaining FDI?? Or how budgets of religious countries ignore innovation and entrepreneurs' ideas?

I think it's the last time Dawkins will be on Irish TV
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams
munsterdevil

Post by munsterdevil » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:03 pm

Silence was deafening when RD said the Vatican was a "gigantic, very expensive, rich waste of time". Classic! :lol:
Jimmy Carr (atheist) was also on after Dawkins, and he also had a classic when he said to the audience on God:
We've all had our imaginary friends, I've just grown out of mine
He said to Tubridy that he is a massive fan of Dawkins
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke
Stargazer

Post by Stargazer » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:19 pm

Just wanted to say a big thank you to Davef for the ticket on the night, like I said it made my day. It was great to hear the man in person. It makes reading the new book even nicer because I can hear his voice saying the excepts he read out on the night. Unfortunately I had to rush off afterward so I couldn't shake hands with Prof. Dawkins or get my book signed but hopefully I'll see him again :)

And thanks to everyone on the forum who was so welcoming when my friend and myself gate-crashed your huddle in the corner of the horseshow house!

Tubridy was appalling, never asked a bit about the new book or gave him an opportunity to speak passionately and eloquently on evolution. Instead he tried to provoke the audience and him into a slagging match and was quite rude to the man in my opinion. The overriding feeling I have had from the two times Dawkins has been on the late late is that I wanted to apologize to him and say that us, as Irish people, are not as closed minding as what he might think from his interviews. I mean how did they get 99% of the audience to say they believed in God, they must have made it a criteria for getting audience tickets.
Do I dare disturb the universe?
munsterdevil

Post by munsterdevil » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:22 pm

Another thing as well, Tubridy never asked for a show of hands for how many were 'Agnostic'
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke