Dawkins Talk RDS Thursday September 17th

stardustmary

Re: Dawkins Talk RDS Thursday September 17th

Post by stardustmary » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:50 pm

I just noticed your comment now Stardustmary, and I jumped in and had a go at him straight after.
No worries at all. I was sitting fairly close to him and although I didn't catch everything, it was very obvious that he had more than a few ' mental issues'. Not at all someone who posed a serious question, more of a cry for help really! I just cringed for most of his meandering rant and frankly, I was glad when he decided to exit the building.

Now, about Turbridy:
What an absolute ASS. He was very RUDE to Richard and totally out of line in his manner of questioning. I felt quite ashamed at how he handled the interview and I am writing in to RTE to voice my displeasure.
(Although having 'evangelical atheist' (his words!) Jimmy Carr on right after Richard was a stroke of good fortune :)
munsterdevil

Post by munsterdevil » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:42 pm

For those that missed The Late Late Show here is the link to watch it again, Dawkins and Carr are on near the end.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1055765
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke
Morgase

Post by Morgase » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:44 pm

stardustmary wrote:What an absolute ASS. He was very RUDE to Richard and totally out of line in his manner of questioning. I felt quite ashamed at how he handled the interview and I am writing in to RTE to voice my displeasure.
(Although having 'evangelical atheist' (his words!) Jimmy Carr on right after Richard was a stroke of good fortune :)
I was thinking of writing in too. I don't pay my tv license (more fool me!) to have our national broadcaster be rude to one of the most best scientists of our time.
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Bik » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Morgase wrote:
I was thinking of writing in too. I don't pay my tv license (more fool me!) to have our national broadcaster be rude to one of the most best scientists of our time.
And the 2009 award for the most best scientist goes to........... :D

(sorry, couldn't resist)
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
Morgase

Post by Morgase » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:14 pm

Bik wrote:
Morgase wrote:
And the 2009 award for the most best scientist goes to........... :D

(sorry, couldn't resist)
Haha I didn't realise what I'd written :oops: (I think I was going to write eminent but didn't) Let's give RD the award anyway!
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:08 pm

One time when I was in hospital I was compelled to watch the late late show. I could not believe it – it went on and on for so long. I was board to tears and I hope to never endure such mind numbing boredom again for a long time. Who watches this thing and why??
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by adamd164 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:42 pm

FXR

Post by FXR » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:17 am

mkaobrih wrote:One time when I was in hospital I was compelled to watch the late late show. I could not believe it – it went on and on for so long. I was board to tears and I hope to never endure such mind numbing boredom again for a long time. Who watches this thing and why??
I do, although after the performance with RD that's going to feel more and more like a chore. Same goes as far as is practical for everything on TV3, RTE2 and TG4.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
robdonn
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by robdonn » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:12 am

I just watched the Late Late Show on the RTE player, just to skip ahead to Dawkins and then to Jimmy Carr, and that show makes me so ashamed to be Irish!

It is absolute rubbish! No entertainment value, such a non-reactive audience with no respect for the guests. Jimmy Carr's interview consisted almost entirely of a conversation with his aunt and uncle who were in the audience. The questions were so boring and useless, Carr just went on a little rant instead of listening to them.

Why can't RTE do anything entertaining? For a show that is the longest running chat show in the world, it has to be the least watched chat show in the world.
I'm fucking Matt Damon!!
Freethinker
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Freethinker » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:39 pm

Hi All,

It was myself who asked the question about Thomas Aquinas raised by a professor in NUI Maynooth (Michael Dunne). Michael Dunne is a staff member in the National University of Ireland, Maynooth. He published his critical review of The God Delusion in the Yearbook of the Irish Philosopical Society.

In this review he made the claim that, "Richard Dawkins I suppose is not to be expected to know that Aquinas knew of some elements of an evolutionary theory, namely birds and fish having a common ancestor and the role of random mutations".

Considering that Thomas Aquinas A Father of the Catholic Church lived between 1225 and 1274, this to me would seem highly unlikely. I can find no reference to this aspect of Aquinas anywhere and this statement seems so rediculous that I wanted Dawkind to just comment on it. The review in question can be had at http://eprints.nuim.ie/932/1/Michael_Dunne.pdf and the quote in question is on the page 5 of 8.

It just seemed to me that the Catholic Church is not just accepting Evolution as a fact, but are almost claiming to be the original consceivers of this idea centuries ahead of Darwin as suggested by this Maynooth professor of philosophy. To me this is utter noncence. Since the reading was on Evolution and by the man himself, I just wanted to know what Dawkins thought of this claim both about his alleged ignorance of evolution and on this Professor's calim about Aquinas.