Does God Hate Women? - Oct 28

adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Cork
Contact:

Does God Hate Women? - Oct 28

Post by adamd164 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:01 pm

UCC Atheists in conjunction with Atheist Ireland Cork Regional Group are holding a talk on October 28th by Philosopher Lillian O'Brien.

Social afterwards in New College Bar. All welcome.

Image
lostexpectation
Posts: 1993
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:28 pm

Re: Does God Hate Women? - Oct 28

Post by lostexpectation » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:44 pm

i thought the title was dodgy then i see the poster, so atheist ireland isn't immune from juvenile attention seeking college societies
test
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Cork
Contact:

Re: Does God Hate Women? - Oct 28

Post by adamd164 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:12 pm

lostexpectation wrote:i thought the title was dodgy then i see the poster, so atheist ireland isn't immune from juvenile attention seeking college societies
Please don't reply to threads when you've nothing constructive to add. It'd cut out a lot of shite on this forum.
Rigsby
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:02 pm

Re: Does God Hate Women? - Oct 28

Post by Rigsby » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:32 pm

Just in case people are unaware, this lecture will probably be heavily slanted towards feminism since the speaker is a lecturer in womens studies.

http://www.ucc.ie/en/philosophy/staff/lecturers/obrien/

I must say I do find it very hypocritical that feminists have no problem using a naked female image, when advertising their own lectures, but object hysterically whenever anyone else does it.

Image
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 3003
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:02 pm
Location: Cork
Contact:

Re: Does God Hate Women? - Oct 28

Post by Ygern » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:55 pm

So, are you objecting to this talk because the lecturer is a feminist or because the poster has a (not actually naked) woman in it?
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Cork
Contact:

Re: Does God Hate Women? - Oct 28

Post by adamd164 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:27 pm

That page does not state that the lecturer is a feminist. She is a philosopher of feminism. There is a difference.
Rigsby
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:02 pm

Re: Does God Hate Women? - Oct 28

Post by Rigsby » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:28 pm

Ygern wrote:So, are you objecting to this talk because the lecturer is a feminist or because the poster has a (not actually naked) woman in it?
Im not objecting to the lecture. Im merely warning those who might go along expecting an informative lecture to be aware that the speaker teaches "womens studies" and is therefore a fulltime professional feminist.
Mr. Mercurial
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:37 pm

Re: Does God Hate Women? - Oct 28

Post by Mr. Mercurial » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:50 pm

Rigsby wrote:
Ygern wrote:So, are you objecting to this talk because the lecturer is a feminist or because the poster has a (not actually naked) woman in it?
Im not objecting to the lecture. Im merely warning those who might go along expecting an informative lecture to be aware that the speaker teaches "womens studies" and is therefore a fulltime professional feminist.
Are you implying that a lecture could not be both informative and on the topic of feminism? Have you ever discussed the topic with a feminist outside of the context of an internet forum?

Regardless, I am sure like all good atheists you appreciate a bit of empirical evidence. I have had the pleasure, albeit briefly, of studying philosophy under Dr. O’Brien and have found her to be nothing but an intelligent, reasonable person, who is well able to defend the views she holds. Furthermore, her credentials are impeccable; she earned her PhD from an Ivy League college under the supervision of one of the most influential contemporary philosophers of mind, Jaegwon Kim. At the very least, she deserves the benefit of the doubt.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 3003
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:02 pm
Location: Cork
Contact:

Re: Does God Hate Women? - Oct 28

Post by Ygern » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:55 pm

So in your opinion someone who thinks or teaches that women should not be treated as inferiors (i.e. a feminist) is incapable of presenting an "informative lecture"?

Did you even read the page that you linked to?

It says:
Current Research: Action Theory

Particular interest in non-causalism about intentional action and action explanation, anti-psychologism about reasons, and the individuation conditions for action.
So in fact she is not "therefore a fulltime professional feminist" as you put it, but you've made your point.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Rigsby
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:02 pm

Re: Does God Hate Women? - Oct 28

Post by Rigsby » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:39 pm

Ygern wrote:So in your opinion someone who thinks or teaches that women should not be treated as inferiors (i.e. a feminist) is incapable of presenting an "informative lecture"?
Feminism is a lot more than merely that. And I think you know that.

I would recommend this site as a good awareness raising site about the pernicious feminist agenda.
Post Reply