Does God Hate Women? - Oct 28

Rigsby

Re: Does God Hate Women? - Oct 28

Post by Rigsby » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:34 pm

Mr. Mercurial wrote:Furthermore, her credentials are impeccable; she earned her PhD from an Ivy League college under the supervision of one of the most influential contemporary philosophers of mind, Jaegwon Kim.
As a sceptic of the entire field of philosophy, I believe a phd in philosophy is not an "impeccable credential". I consider it on a par with a phd in theology or divinity.
FXR

Post by FXR » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:42 am

Rigsby wrote:
Mr. Mercurial wrote:Furthermore, her credentials are impeccable; she earned her PhD from an Ivy League college under the supervision of one of the most influential contemporary philosophers of mind, Jaegwon Kim.
As a sceptic of the entire field of philosophy, I believe a phd in philosophy is not an "impeccable credential". I consider it on a par with a phd in theology or divinity.

Philosophy tries to guess the unknown, religion claims it has. Neither has any proof. Science is the only method by which the claims of either can be tested.
FXR

The talk would be more interesting if she is a feminist. To understand the positon of another group, in this case women, you need someone fully behind the subject. In other words you need a champion to fully do the position justice.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Mr. Mercurial

Post by Mr. Mercurial » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:52 pm

Rigsby wrote:
I suspect, though I may be wrong, that the scepticism sometimes levelled at philosophy comes from those who have never really studied the subject, and may thus be under a misapprehension as to what philosophy actually consists of.

Some of the most famous and reliable contributions to the atheistic arsenal of arguments come from philosophers like David Hume and Bertrand Russell. Daniel Dennett is perhaps the best example of a contemporary, and indeed Dr. O’Brien would be more than familiar with his work in the field of contemporary metaphysics.

Ironically, to even dismiss philosophy as worthwhile, one must use philosophical arguments. The entire school of logical positivism, for example, was dedicated more or less to demonstrating that most philosophy is pointless. Nevertheless, one can never really escape some philosophical perspective, even if that perspective is scepticism of most philosophy.

Additionally, science itself is infused with philosophy, and there is an entire branch of philosophy dedicated to the philosophy of science (Popper's principle of falsifiability for example, is a philosophical principle). Without philosophy, science is nothing but an arbitrary and empty collection of descriptions lacking any direction or coherency. It may not seem to be so, but again that goes back to the problem of not appreciating how pervasive and useful philosophy is in our everyday lives.

Finally, I wonder whether you realise that ‘the entire field of philosophy’ includes the philosophy of law, and political philosophy. Any time you argue against a theocracy you are using philosophy, any time you point out a logical fallacy in a theist’s argument, you are echoing arguments made by philosophers from Russell to Epicurus. Any time you assert that a human right has been violated, or even that no such human rights exist, you are using philosophy.

You may think it worthless, but you won’t be able to explain why without using it.
anadub25

Post by anadub25 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:34 am

I have to be honest im not mad about the title+poster myself but i would like to hear the speaker. Is she the same one who spoke at the Humanist meeting before last?
"Religion is comparable to a childhood neurosis."

- Sigmund Freud -
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by adamd164 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:13 pm

I can't be sure cos I'm not in the Humanist Association.

She might have done, but I don't think so.