Education Policy meeting; your ideas.

Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Education Policy meeting; your ideas.

Post by Ygern » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:42 pm

Just a quick reminder about the meeting:

Holiday Inn, Pearse Street, Dublin
Tomorrow (the 28th) at 2pm
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
AcProctor
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by AcProctor » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:07 pm

I would like to suggest that the education issue is not simply a matter of educating about multiple faiths/beliefs, including atheism which is often incorrectly viewed as the absence of a belief in anything. Religious instruction - especially in Irish Catholic schools - affects the children's capacity to think objectively, and to think without undue deference to anyone and without fear of stepping outside "conventional thinking".

I believe this type of education limits their horizons, especially in science. I raised this subject recently in the Irish Examiner http://www.irishexaminer.ie/archives/20 ... 74100.html

The two most important changed I'd like to see are:
1) Education being separated from the Church. The curriculum should be secular. Religious education can be provided in separate optional (Sunday-)schools
2) School premises to be owned by the state, and teacher's employment to fall totally under education department control

On a side note, I also believe that the concepts of 'scientific thinking' and 'atheism' are not well understood and that this organisation could help improve the perception amongst the public who have been taught to see non-religious people as heathens, pagans, or otherwise amoral devil-worshippers ;-)
JH
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by JH » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:48 pm

Here's a link to the draft Atheist Ireland Education Policy, which might be of some use;

http://www.secularireland.org/wiki/inde ... ion_Policy
GT
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by GT » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:41 pm

chaplains are my new pet hate.

How many chaplains are on the payroll of VECs, ITs and Universities.

Like the army chaplains this is another way the state bankrolls the catholic church.

Would love to attend the meeting but have newborn son so wife has taken to wearing the trousers and wont let me :)

Regards,

GT
Regards,

GT

Faith is following someone else's lies.
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:39 am

Feardorcha wrote:I'll get on to Patsy McGarry - a sound man of my acquaintance - and ask him to follow up on the story.
I normally like Patsy's stuff, but he sometimes makes me wonder:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 01174.html

In this piece he takes what must have been an Iona press release on the opinion poll they had commissioned and really did a number on it.

At the end of the piece he quotes
Prof Patricia Casey, consultant psychiatrist at the Mater hospital in Dublin, said people would “benefit from the moderating effects of religious practice on the stress that inevitably results from the current downturn.”
When I first read it I thought that it was interesting to get an opinion on attending mass from the perspective of a psychiatrist. But then I had a thought that I recognised her name. Sure enoungh a very quick bit of reseach (Wikipedia!) tells me that she's a patron of the Iona Institute, the very organisation who commissioned the damned poll! Might this firstly have tainted her veiws on the benefits of going to mass, but more importantly was it not worthy of mention in the article??

He also neglected to include, from the same poll, that just 48% of people want their children educated by the catholic church. It really was a silly piece and I was surprised at him.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:17 am

had a read of the policy, surely the policy goes above and beyond ET and agreement with them
Last edited by lostexpectation on Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
test
JH
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by JH » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:09 pm

lostexpectation wrote:had a read of the policy, surely the policy goes above and beyond ET and agreement with them at issue..
"Agreement with them at issue" ? What?

What was the outcome of the meeting?
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:56 pm

Just to report back on that trust that the Taoiseach said he would set up back in June, well, nothing has materialised so far. The stated intention was to have it 'independently' managed but funded by the religious organisations to help the survivors. There is no website for it as yet or even an established name. Also, the form of the 'help' is not being specified.
Meanwhile, all the religious orders are setting up trusts which RTE claims will be used to 'help' the survivors. There is one called Ceist and one called the Edmund Rice Trust and the Sisters of Mercy have just set up another tonight (see tonight's RTE News).
The religious orders are transfering their assets to these bodies and, I suspect, putting these assets beyond future litigation - and it's all happening under our noses.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:24 pm

i thought the ceist and edmund rice trust were educational trust for schools, and they would be setting up entirely different trusts for abuse compensations claims and counselling etc.
test
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:18 pm

Yeah, they are setting up these trusts to take over the running of 'their' schools as they are running out of priests, nuns and brothers. What worries me is that these trusts are being given the assets of the orders, including schools, land, buildings and cash.