Atheists and Christmas - Ryan Tubridy Show Monday 4 Dec

MichaelNugent
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Atheists and Christmas - Ryan Tubridy Show Monday 4 Dec

Post by MichaelNugent » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:52 pm

I will be on the Ryan Tubridy radio show on RTE next Monday morning, December 14, as part of an item on how atheists view Christmas.

Ariane Sherine, the editor of The Atheist's Guide to Christmas will be taking part from a London studio, and Rosemary Mac Cabe and I will be in RTE discussing the book with Ryan Tubridy.

It won't be a serious theological discussion about the existence of God. It will be assumed that as atheists we don't believe in gods, and discussing our opinions of Christmas.
Last edited by MichaelNugent on Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lostexpectation

Re: Atheists and Christmas - Ryan Tubridy Show next Monday

Post by lostexpectation » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:59 pm

so will you ask him before the show if he's acting dumb or really is that dumb?
test
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:04 am

This will be interesting. I'm looking forward to the conversation being posted. Tubridy is matured religious timber. He will prove cheeky and casually hostile. I won't be able to listen live but good luck Michael.

I don't believe in ghosts and banshees but I do celebrate Halloween and St. Patricks day isn't just celebrated by the Irish, seems to me to be hypocritical to make an argument that Christmas is just for Christians.
washington
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by washington » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:22 pm

Good luck Michael on Monday...break a leg! :D
My feelings about Xmas are two-fold....both of them concerned with delusions.
Delusion (1)
As a father I participated eagerly with in the Santa Clause delusion with my children. It was a fun time with the idea of a benign unthreatening Father figure arriving loaded with presents and imparting peaceful vibes and good -will to all. It's a majical time for kids and also for those adults who have positive memories of their own childhood. Unfortunately not all adults have such happy memories of Xmas. But generally it's a time for children and their indulgence, obviously within reason. I suppose as as parents we used the Santa delusion as a form of control...'You better be good'... etc. but we always relented with the dissidents on the day! The point is that we knew the kids would soon emerge from the delusional state in their own time as they matured and accept the Santa syndrome for what it was or wasn't!
Delusion (2)
The Christian dimension to Xmas was always problematic for me but as a father whose kids were in the catholic education systems, I went with the flow. ...kids in nativity plays, choirs etc...it would have been churlish not to attend these productions. The problem with this delusion was that the kids might not emerge unscathed from it. Thankfully they have.
I trust you will get that point across tomorrow Michael. The season has two components for atheists...both delusional.
(1)The benign Santa delusion
(2) The more sinister christian delusion
NB. The existence of the Christian delusion doesn't stop us enjoying the season.
HAPPY XMAS TO ALL!
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:59 am

09:48

The show is nearly over and they have not done this section yet. Tubs has taken a few chances to get a dig in on the subject however. He keeps mentioning that it is coming up and making some snide comment or other. So far calling his image of Christmas as an atheist as being everything from boring to terribly quiet. Also comments like 'Well I just got a lot of nice texts, so the spirit of Christmas is at least some of you' as if someone who is not a subscriber to Christmas could not possible text in something nice.

10:50

Sketch just started now, talking about the book "The atheist Guide to Christmas".

He asked Nugent just now "Is Christmas some kind of horror for you".

The stream of texts that came in however led Tubs to say "It seems everyone in Ireland is on the side of the atheists here".

Ariane Sherine came on then with a bit of a cold. Tubs asked her about the many people who must be horrified (but clearly underrepresented in his listeners) at the idea of Christmas becoming separate from Christianity. She just replied by saying that clearly this happens all the time and we still have Thursday for example (Thors day) without worrying about the movement of that away from its religious base.

Nugent made a good temperate monologue saying that calling Christmas "Hijacked" is unnecessarily emotive, but it is however worth noting how good Christianity has been historically at absorbing other traditions. He gave the example of Christmas of course but also of Easter which is also named after another god etc.

It was closed with Nugent saying that it is worth separating the parts of Christmas that are useful and do lead to happiness and humans being kind to each other, from the unsubstantiated claims about the nature of the universe in which it is steeped.

All pretty tame overall, but good to see that Tubs couldn't mine a single quote from the texts to support him as much as he tried.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:05 am

very short, forgot tubs show is only an hour long, but well said all.

tubs said
take the nice bits but leave heaven, hmm, how could an atheist take heaven... what was he trying to say...
test
bockedy

Post by bockedy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:15 pm

Given that probably most atheists celebrate Christmas in some shape or form - the time spent with family and friends, the gift giving and receiving, the overindulgence, the time off work and the general nostalgia of it all, but don't observe the religious claptrap - I guess that some christians want to take that away from us just because we don't believe in their self-fathering zombie. That really annoys me.

This video illustrates my point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Aq00yJSxo
May Ea smite thee with the might of his fist!
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:51 pm

Congratulations! I thought it was excellent exposure for AI and atheism in general.
Michael and other guests came across as caring, family people who enjoy the holiday and not evil, anti-Christmas grilches, which is probably what Tubridy thought he was getting.
bockedy

Post by bockedy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:25 pm

How about making these as a secular treat to go with the xmas turkey?

Edible FSM
May Ea smite thee with the might of his fist!
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:36 am

Do they do podcasts of all the shows? I had a look on the rte website and this show is not listed. Anyone know where I can hear it?