Debate about atheism in UCC, Mon 15 Mar

MichaelNugent
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Debate about atheism in UCC, Mon 15 Mar

Post by MichaelNugent » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:07 am

I will be speaking at a debate at the UCC Philosoph in Cork this evening, Monday 15 March, at 7.30 pm in room G19, Kane Building.

The motion is "that this house would reject atheism".

Peter Cave, who is chair of the Humanist Philosophers of Britain, will also be speaking.
Last edited by MichaelNugent on Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Debate about atheism today (Mon 15 Mar) in UCC

Post by aZerogodist » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:39 pm

Late notice: but will be there.
Atheist Ireland Youtube
HOME RULE not ROME RULE
If I'm your mission shepherd, best give it up, your welcome on my boat..god aren't. -firefly
Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies-links to local clubs & news
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:43 pm

I actually haven't seen this talk advertised by Philosoph, maybe because their events are well attended and there is a limit to how many can be fitted into G19. I assume its open to the public, most UCC society events are.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:34 am

Good debate, the speakers for the motion kept bringing up the commonist topic, but in the end the motion was defeated, but very close.
Atheist Ireland Youtube
HOME RULE not ROME RULE
If I'm your mission shepherd, best give it up, your welcome on my boat..god aren't. -firefly
Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies-links to local clubs & news
Hemingway
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Hemingway » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:23 pm

aZerogodist wrote:Good debate, the speakers for the motion kept bringing up the commonist topic, but in the end the motion was defeated, but very close.
Any recording/youtube link?
Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:54 pm

aZerogodist wrote:Good debate, the speakers for the motion kept bringing up the commonist topic, but in the end the motion was defeated, but very close.
You mean the appeal to numbers fallacy?
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:25 pm

Dev, I think it's a typo - communist is what Tom was saying.

The topic that Philosoph society posed was a little obscure "This house should reject atheism" and in their defence, I suspect that those speaking for the motion were not entirely sure what to make of it. Neither of them was an evangelical Christian by any means, so instead they focussed on the perceived "dangers" of atheism which in there opinion was: communism, nihilism, Pol Pot, Mao, China, U.S.S.R., communism, Marx, atheism is just another religion, communism and a bit more communism. In short: every hackneyed trope in the book. And communism.

There were also a few choruses of "you can't know for sure there is no god, therefore atheism is just as much dogmatic faith as religion".

Peter Cave & Michael were very good though, pointing out most of the fallacies as well as the crucial distinction between atheism & agnosticism. A lot of people make the mistake of thinking that agnosticism is the middle ground between atheism & faith; which of course isn't true. You can be deeply religious and yet admit you cannot be certain for sure that there is a god; and in fact most moderate religious people will happily admit to this. Just because they admit they are not 100% certain does not mean they are less faithful or less serious about their religion. It certainly doesn't make them in any way unbelievers.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:26 pm

@ Hemingway - Tom recorded it (two cameras), give him a few days to edit the footage & it will be up on Youtube.
Cork Skeptics
Hemingway
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Hemingway » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:42 pm

Ygern wrote:@ Hemingway - Tom recorded it (two cameras), give him a few days to edit the footage & it will be up on Youtube.
Thanks Ygern.....
Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:20 pm

Dev wrote:
You mean the appeal to numbers fallacy?
I just can't spell, usually use a spell-checker on the laptop but, I don't have one on my phone, also kind of half-asleep.
Will be more than a few days for YT.