Mizen to Malin in opposition to Blasphemy Law

Boreas
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Mizen to Malin in opposition to Blasphemy Law

Post by Boreas » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:19 pm

Starting on May 6th Paul Gill is walking from Mizen head to Malin head to protest the recent blasphemy law and highlight the need to vote in favour of the deletion of the blasphemy clause from the Irish constitution in the promised referendum.

If you live on or near the route and can help please contact secretary@atheist.ie or reply to this post.

Things you could do:
* Make him a hot meal
* Get your local media to interview him
* Give him a bed for the night
* Buy him a pint at the end of a long day's walk

NEW: if you want to send Paul a message of support, you can text him on 086-732-5365
Also: a shout out to Azerogodist who has been accompanying him on his journey!

Atheist Ireland is sponsoring Paul and will host events along his route. I'd like to ask people to help organise events in their local area and to help with contacting local press to cover the story.

His route is below -

Thurs May 6th:- Mizen Head-Goleen-DURRAS
Fri May 7th:-Bantry-Kealkill-BALLINGEARY
Sat May 8th:-Inchigeelagh-Toons Bridge-MACROOM
Sun May 9th:-Coachford-DONOUGHMORE
Mon May 10th:-Bweeng-Drommahane-MALLOW
Tues May 11th:-Buttevant-CHARLEVILLE
Wed May 12th:-CROOM
Thurs May 13th:-Patrickswell-Dooradoyle-LIMERICK
Fri May 14th:-Cratloe-Sixmilebridge-KILKISHEN
Sat May 15th:-Tulla-GORT
Sun May 16th:-Kiltartan-Ardrahan-KILCOLGAN
Mon May17th:-Clarinbridge-Oranmore-GALWAY
Tues May 18th:-Cloonboo-HEADFORD
Wed May 19th:-Shrule-BALLINROBE
Thurs May 20th:-Hollymount-CLAREMORRIS
Fri May 21st:-Knock-KILKELLY
Sat May 22nd:-CHARLESTOWN
Sun May 23rd:-Tobbercurry-BALLINACARROW
Mon May 24th:-Collooney-Ballysadare-SLIGO
Tues May 25th:-Drumcliff-Grange-CLIFFONY
Wed May 26th:-Bundoran-BALLYSHANNON
Thur May 27th:-Ballintra-Laghy-DONEGAL TOWN
Fri May 28th:-Barnesmore Gap-BALLYBOFEY
Sat May 29th:-Drumkeen-LETTERKENNY
Sun May 30th:-Newton Cunningham-BUNRANA
Mon May 31st:-Carndonagh-Malin-MALIN HEAD!

We're hoping that helping to organise events to support Paul will act as the start of local groups and meetups along the west coast.
HylandPaddy

Re: Mizen to Malin in opposition to Blasphemy Law

Post by HylandPaddy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:35 pm

I'm in Buncrana, but I see he's passing through Limerick...ah well.

Seriously though, I can inform local press when he's arriving and maybe get a group meeting or something. Inishowen press is three newspapers; The Inish Times, Inishowen Independant and probably The Derry Journal. You'd probably get on Highland Radio in Letterkenny aswell. It broadcasts to the whole North West, so good publicity.
Put me on the list. I think this is a very good campaign, it raises awareness outside the big cities and lets rural Ireland know that there are more atheists than they think. Good luck Paul!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-Carl Sagan
dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by dugges » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:47 pm

This is a great opportunity to promote AI, especially in the West where our presence is non-existent

Paul has just set up a twitter - http://twitter.com/AtheistWalker which should keep him amused on the wet and windy roads
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:01 am

Could we possibly supply Paul with a gift of a travel camera with charger and USB transfer capabilities.

I would be happy to pay for this myself in fact.

The idea would be that he record a kind of video travel blog. A few minutes here and there during each day, a little few words in the morning and evening before and after each walk about how he feels and what is on his mind.

The end result would be I could edit down a series of videos about the walk for the you tube channel, where we are generating some interest of late. This could be done after the walk of course, but the highest ideal, should it be found possible, would be to get the video files sent to me (or someone else who is good at video editing) to be put up on the channel DURING the walk.

The latter of course would involve someone getting to his each day, or him getting to an internet connection each day, to download the video from the camera and upload it to the editor. Any ideas on this part?

Should this go ahead the camera itself could be kept by Paul as a gift from me.
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:53 am

Would it be worth setting up some kind of donations thing on JustGiving.com or something similar for this?
Lee
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Lee » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:17 am

Great idea, I am no where near the route unfortunately but let me know where to donate! We will have to keep him in sandwiches and coffee!! I hope this generates some interest.
And posting the twitter account to my facebook etc etc !!
IrishAndroid
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by IrishAndroid » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:40 am

I live along the route. What kind of help would be required?
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:52 pm

nozzferrahhtoo wrote:Could we possibly supply Paul with a gift of a travel camera with charger and USB transfer capabilities.

I would be happy to pay for this myself in fact.

The idea would be that he record a kind of video travel blog. A few minutes here and there during each day, a little few words in the morning and evening before and after each walk about how he feels and what is on his mind.

The end result would be I could edit down a series of videos about the walk for the you tube channel, where we are generating some interest of late. This could be done after the walk of course, but the highest ideal, should it be found possible, would be to get the video files sent to me (or someone else who is good at video editing) to be put up on the channel DURING the walk.

The latter of course would involve someone getting to his each day, or him getting to an internet connection each day, to download the video from the camera and upload it to the editor. Any ideas on this part?

Should this go ahead the camera itself could be kept by Paul as a gift from me.
I was thinking the very same a vid-log for each day. I would like to along most of the route and record him, but couldn't do the whole hog. A handy cam would be too big for him to carry himself, maybe using a good video-phone with internet
good be used.
I would like to cover from the start to near Limerick, but a self vid-log would be way better.
-Tom
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:56 pm

Is there a website?
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:09 pm

aZerogodist wrote: I was thinking the very same a vid-log for each day. I would like to along most of the route and record him, but couldn't do the whole hog. A handy cam would be too big for him to carry himself, maybe using a good video-phone with internet
good be used.
I would like to cover from the start to near Limerick, but a self vid-log would be way better.
-Tom
Quite possibly a phone would be enough. I was watching Eddie Izzards cross UK/Ireland 40+ Marathon insanity. He had camera following him on a rickshaw which was cool, but some parts of the three shows (when the camera lost him for one reason or another) was him on his mobile phone camera and it came out not so bad at all.

Sound is of course the key, and something a lot of our You Tube videos have suffered from, so a cam phone that can take a mic of some sort too might be the way to go.