Atheist Ireland AGM, Davenport Hotel Dublin, Sat July 17

nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Atheist Ireland AGM, Davenport Hotel Dublin, Sat July 17

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:20 am

Enjoy the beers tonight all. Have one in my name and think of me sitting in the crazy heat here in Germany on baby-watch wishing I was over there.
Gar

Post by Gar » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:33 pm

Ygern wrote:I'm staying on St Stephen's Green, but I'm not sure how to get there from Heuston - I mean I know where it is, but I'm not sure what public transport goes there. DART? Luas?

In the immortal words of Leeloo, pless halp

Hi Ygern,
if you want to get to Stephens green you can get the luas to abbey st and then get a number 10 , the stop is about halfway down O'Connell St, and get off on Kildare st, just around the corner from Stephens Green. That being said it depends on where you're staying on the green. you're I would say that the total amount of walking between luas to bus and bus to hotel would be approximately 5 mins and the cost would be €1.80 for the luas and €1.15 for the bus. A taxi on the other hand would be the guts of a tenner.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:39 pm

bipedalhumanoid wrote:
Tulip1 wrote:Where is MacTurcaills? I am in Dublin this weekend so I might pop in if youse don't mind
Next to the Long Stone. If you want a pint that doesn't taste like it was poured from the drip tray, I suggest you pop into the Long Stone next door :?
So get a pint at the Long Stone and walk with pint next door? Thanks for the tip!
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:39 pm

Why the hell are we holding meetings in Dublin, which is completely inaccessible? There are three pages of texts here from members trying to find the centre of the city with the worst public transport and signage in Europe.
Any chance of Athlone next year?
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:01 pm

I found it in the end though!
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:01 pm

I was at another AGM in Athlone this year and let me tell you it was a nightmare to get to. Anywhere in Dublin is better.

Great meeting guys...left just on time as I had to sprint for my train but just made it 8)
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:39 pm

Yeah as unfortunate as it is - Dublin is easier to get to than almost anywhere else in the country. All buses / trains go there - the rest of the country gets redirected from Dublin – It’s a disgrace - but that’s the way it is. If meetings were in Athlone - I’d never be able to make any of them and I’m from the country. Public transport in Ireland means everything goes to Dublin and gets redirected from there.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:55 pm

I know. I just like to annoy people who think Dublin is Ireland every now and then. They're probably better off talking among themselves anyway.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:42 am

I'm just in the door from the long train ride home.
What we need is more regional groups - this is something that Ciaran is working on.

Like Helen says, for national meetings the only viable option is to have the meetings in one of the major centres. It is just not realistic in having the meeting in Killmackologue because it is hard to get to even if you have your own transport. Realistically, getting from Cork where I live to Dublin is much easier even if it is technically much further away than that pretty little hamlet in Kerry.

Those who made it to the meeting were from all over - not only Ireland but the UK, Europe and even from the USA.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:04 am

Just have to say great venue and well done Ciaran in booking it. Same again for next AGM.