Radio interviews Wed Aug 18

MichaelNugent
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Radio interviews Wed Aug 18

Post by MichaelNugent » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:43 pm

I will be talking about removing the Angelus from RTE at about 9 am Wed Aug 18 on http://oceanfm.ie/ and at about 10.30 am Wed Aug 18 on http://www.highlandradio.com/
BubbleWrap
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Radio interviews Wed Aug 18

Post by BubbleWrap » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:35 am

(Ocean fm)
There ya go, we're "working for the powers of darkness".
If Ireland became a secular state "we'd have sodomites getting married"
I knew there was something I enjoyed about AI.
I'm going to start a revolution... er... if that's ok with everyone?
BubbleWrap
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by BubbleWrap » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:49 am

It's sad to hear so many people not really listening to Michael's reasoned argument. They really believe we're trying to stop them believing in a god. They seem terrified.
MichaelNugent
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by MichaelNugent » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:04 am

Yes, the sodomites getting married was an interesting angle. I had to consciously stop myself from laughing out loud at that. It was like a return to the 1980s.

But the listeners may (or of course may not) have been more open to hearing what we are saying than the callers to the programme were.

We will be starting an Atheist Ireland group in the north-west soon, so we will get some idea of what overall public reaction is there.
MichaelNugent
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by MichaelNugent » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:14 am

Just finished another lengthy interview on Highland FM.

Pro-Angelus callers seem to be focusing on two arguments: (a) that we are a Catholic (or Christian) country and (b) that the Angelus gives them hope and we are trying to take away their hope.

To over-simplify, my responses to these arguments have been (a) that we are not a Catholic country and, even if we were, we should not have a Catholic State (using the Protestant State of Northern Ireland as an example); and (b) that Catholics can pray the Angelus anytime they want, and they presumably get their hope from what they believe to be their God, and not from the State broadcasting authority.

Any other thoughts welcome.
MichaelNugent
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by MichaelNugent » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:14 am

Deleted double posting
Last edited by MichaelNugent on Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelNugent
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by MichaelNugent » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:32 am

I will be talking about removing the Angelus from RTE at about 1.15 pm today on http://www.bbc.co.uk/radioulster/
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:45 pm

MichaelNugent wrote:Just finished another lengthy interview on Highland FM.

Pro-Angelus callers seem to be focusing on two arguments: (a) that we are a Catholic (or Christian) country and (b) that the Angelus gives them hope and we are trying to take away their hope.

To over-simplify, my responses to these arguments have been (a) that we are not a Catholic country and, even if we were, we should not have a Catholic State (using the Protestant State of Northern Ireland as an example); and (b) that Catholics can pray the Angelus anytime they want, and they presumably get their hope from what they believe to be their God, and not from the State broadcasting authority.

Any other thoughts welcome.
(a) I think saying we're more a country of cafeteria Catholicism:
Dev wrote:Many people are actually deists even when they identify with a religion. Catholics who don't believe in hell are as common as muck; this pick and choose Catholicism is often called cafeteria Catholicism or á la carte Catholicism.

If they don't believe in the virgin birth and transubstantiation, ask them what separates them from Protestants? I think you'll find that they are culturally Catholic rather than religiously Catholic.
Most people do wish to think about religion - rather they just don't want to be critical of it as you say. A lot of it stems from this social taboo of "having respect for religion". You'll find the same people will laugh at you if you said you believed in ghosts. Change that to holy ghost and there seems to be a paradigm shift in the attitude of the discussion.
Basically how many people actually watch the Angelus? or how many just pretent its not on or just ignore it, so is it worth the tax payer paying for something that nobody watches.

Could we remove the Angelus from the la carte Catholic menu as no one is ordering it.

(b) I think you could say set their phone-Alarm for 6pm, or download an Angelus ap. (I assume they exist).

As in other interview, it's the bells which are 100% catholic, change it to Brahms, change the name to "A thought at Six" or just put it on RTE2
Atheist Ireland Youtube
HOME RULE not ROME RULE
If I'm your mission shepherd, best give it up, your welcome on my boat..god aren't. -firefly
Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies-links to local clubs & news
BubbleWrap
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by BubbleWrap » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:51 pm

MichaelNugent wrote:I will be talking about removing the Angelus from RTE at about 1.15 pm today on http://www.bbc.co.uk/radioulster/
Just to say Mike, you're doing a sterling job. And keeping calm when most, well me anyway, would lose the head altogether.
MichaelNugent
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by MichaelNugent » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:16 pm

Thanks, Bubblewrap.

I will be talking about removing the Angelus from RTE at about 1.40 pm today on http://www.4fm.ie/

The BBC Radio Ulster interview, scheduled for 1.15, was brought forward to the start of the show and is now over.

Most people supporting the Angelus just said that it was nice and they liked it, although one person suggested I was possessed by the devil.