Creationism Talk in TCD

TcdTheo

Creationism Talk in TCD

Post by TcdTheo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:15 am

Hi folks,

We have a talk on creationism that may be of interest...

Anthony Bush and his wife run Noah's Ark Zoo Farm in Bristol, UK. The zoo is dedicated to the theory of creationism, the religious belief that God created the world and humans according to the biblical account in Genesis. The zoo was opened in 1998 and attracts 100,000 visitors per year. Bush encourages school trips to visit his zoo, "opening them up to all possibilities" and "seriously promoting discussion"! Come along to see creationism in action!

The talk is held in the debating chamber of the GMB in Trinity College at 7pm, Monday 24th January, with reception to follow. See tcdtheo.com for more information.

All are welcome!

Thanks.
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Creationism Talk in TCD

Post by ctr » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:27 am

Can we bring along our Crocaducks?
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
Hemingway
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Hemingway » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:08 pm

Should be fun. Are AI going to have an official representative there?
Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:39 am

Come along to see creationism in action!
Now that would be something to see. :shock: :shock:
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
TcdTheo

Post by TcdTheo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:32 pm

Hemingway wrote:Should be fun. Are AI going to have an official representative there?
The format is a talk by the speaker for about 40 minutes followed by Q&A. Everyone is welcome to ask questions at this point!
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:17 pm

Why would anyone bother?
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:03 pm

Feardorcha wrote:Why would anyone bother?
I'm assuming they are being willfully ignorant, I would question why they are choosing to ignore a preponderance of evidence supporting evolution including carbon dating, the fossil record, the human genome project and of course observation of evolution by natural selection in lab conditions. These sort of people thrive in the absence of good debate. If it's presented publicly it should be challenged publicly in the Q&A.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:32 pm

He's not only ignorant, he's arrogant:
I spoke to a lorry-driver the other day, and said to him, "Do you believe in God?" He said no. So I said: "How do you think all this amazing plant and animal life happened?" He said: "It was all from the Big Bang and that." So I made a mental note that Attenborough and Dawkins had used their monopoly TV airtime well, and tried to put him straight. All this is a very big subject, and we cover it on the websites, for any reasonably well-informed layman.
Link to the rest of his interview. Unintentionally comedic. http://www.churchtimes.co.uk/content.asp?id=15680

The British Centre for Science Education has a page on it here
...by the time your children have left the place they will have been –
1. Messed around with bogus science that even the creationists don’t agree with. 2. Exposed to the undermining of their religious education by an Anglican who contradicts the position of the Church of England on evolution. 3. Told that their science teachers are completely wrong, and proselytised to by a commercial farmer.
I am surprised that a Trinity theology society would bother with this sort of unsophisticated and semi-literate version of religion.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:02 pm

They're painting the doors of the Bank of Ireland across the road from Trinity. I might go along to watch the paint dry. Should be interesting.
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Bik » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:03 am

Feardorcha wrote:They're painting the doors of the Bank of Ireland across the road from Trinity. I might go along to watch the paint dry. Should be interesting.
I was thinking of going along to that until I heard that there was grass growing in the Phoenix park :D
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers