Interview TV3, Friday 4 Feb

MichaelNugent
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Interview TV3, Friday 4 Feb

Post by MichaelNugent » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:36 pm

Martijn Leenheer, the parent who removed his son from the school over the reciting of prayers, and Jane Donnelly, Atheist Ireland Education Policy Officer, will be interviewed tomorrow morning (Friday) at 8.15 am on TV3.
Last edited by MichaelNugent on Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ter
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Interview TV3 tomorrow morning, Friday 4 Feb

Post by Ter » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:24 pm

+1 Martijn Leenheer, busy man.
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Bik » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:05 pm

Best of luck to both. I'll be in work at that time so won't be able to tune in though :(
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by dugges » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:14 pm

Good thing TV3 have an online catch-up service. Aside from the whole show, they upload particular segments!! :)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Bik » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:52 am

dugges wrote:Good thing TV3 have an online catch-up service. Aside from the whole show, they upload particular segments!! :)
I'll check it out when I get home so. Or if some kind person who can access the TV3 website from work or home can provide a link when it's available that'll be even better!
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:09 pm

Bik wrote:Or if some kind person who can access the TV3 website from work or home can provide a link when it's available that'll be even better!
http://www.tv3.ie/ireland_am.php?video= ... ID=1.65.74

Good stuff. Well done both of you.

edit: add praise.
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:08 pm

That was fantastic!!! - well done Martijn and Jane.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:15 pm

Well done guys.

Martijn, another issue you could raise when people say 'Ah sure it's only a couple of prayers a day' is that if the school agreed that Finn could opt out and at five already have him reciting 3 prayers a day, it can only get worse. What will happen when more and more religion is introduced. What will happen in communion year for example when hours and hours are spent on communion preparation? You weren't willing to put your child though that so it was much better to get him out now before a far more significant amount was time was shortly going to be spent on religion with no real option to opt him out.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:38 pm

Beebub wrote:Well done guys.

Martijn, another issue you could raise when people say 'Ah sure it's only a couple of prayers a day' is that if the school agreed that Finn could opt out and at five already have him reciting 3 prayers a day, it can only get worse. What will happen when more and more religion is introduced. What will happen in communion year for example when hours and hours are spent on communion preparation? You weren't willing to put your child though that so it was much better to get him out now before a far more significant amount was time was shortly going to be spent on religion with no real option to opt him out.
good point. what I want to say when they talk about about is: if it is not such a big deal why don't you just stop it then?

I could really do with these kind of comments guy and girls!! It helps me a lot in next interviews.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Bik » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:52 pm

Well done guys, you both made your point very well.