Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Interview RTE Primetime

Post by Tulip1 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:30 pm

aZerogodist wrote:
Tulip1 wrote:The church rents out a cheap hall here for 10 euro an hour!! LOL
After all they are a poor charity?

Maybe they're offering to rent it out for an AI meeting?
Maybe the local priest who is head of the board of management will give it for free and come and have a chat with us about the situation or even to build bridges! :lol:
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
oldrnwisr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by oldrnwisr » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:00 pm

Just watched the Prime Time interview, well done Martijn, well said. Those other parents are the kind of mealy-mouthed, spineless, waste of human existence that rubs me up the wrong way. They all seemed to start from the position of "we agree but ..." I thought that as a nation we had grown out of this national sentiment of not making waves. Someone once described the Irish mentality in a restaurant context by saying that an Italian person will complain about the food if it's not to their satisfaction but an Irish person will eat their food, pay their bill then go outside and complain about the food.

I have to say that Paul Gogarty seems to get it though. It's a pity that the Green Party haven't a hope of being elected.
"Science doesn't know everything. Religion doesn't know anything." AronRa - WAC 2011
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:57 pm

oldrnwisr wrote:Just watched the Prime Time interview, well done Martijn, well said. Those other parents are the kind of mealy-mouthed, spineless, waste of human existence that rubs me up the wrong way. They all seemed to start from the position of "we agree but ..." I thought that as a nation we had grown out of this national sentiment of not making waves. Someone once described the Irish mentality in a restaurant context by saying that an Italian person will complain about the food if it's not to their satisfaction but an Irish person will eat their food, pay their bill then go outside and complain about the food.

I have to say that Paul Gogarty seems to get it though. It's a pity that the Green Party haven't a hope of being elected.
Thanks.

Specially the first irish woman, she agreed fully in the end? WTF?? They basically only have a problem because it is about their school... they still dont like us though!
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:15 am

is it amusing to be continuesly called "irate" tulip?, you seem very reasonable

people really need to stop quoting the archbishop of dublin as if its some clever debating tactic to quote your 'opponent' in support of you, he wants pluralism not secularism and pluralism in ireland is catholic monopoly.
test
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:32 am

It is quite funny, but I am really angry at that school though. I was hugely ammussed by the fact that 1 of three supporters of the principal actually was agreeing with me and a second one was proving my point.

The third one just said basically nothing.

its on player:

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1091880
Gadfly

Post by Gadfly » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:08 am

Tulip1 wrote:They basically only have a problem because it is about their school...
I think you hit the nail on the head. But it's still shameless the way they has ostracised you and you family.
"I do not believe in any religion. I will have nothing to do with immortality. We are miserable enough in this life without speculating upon another." Lord Byron.
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Bik » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:43 am

How many pubs are there in the village?
An atheists in the pub night some Saturday night there might be fun, I'm sure the local publicans and b&b owners wouldn't object to our business!
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:48 am

Well done again Matrijn. I can't believe the attitude of some of the other parents. Particularly the woman who didn't like the fact that their school was being targeted saying that it was a problem for the whole country and then going on to say that she agrees with him! How else will things change if people like Martijn don't stand up and make some noise.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:10 pm

If as they said in the show 50% of people attend mass, then applying that figure 50% of those parents/children do not attend mass, that would mean the school is wasting money and more importantly time on 50% of their students. Even if the school wanted to drop religion or only have it for the last 20mins of the day, so those not wanting religious instruction as opposed to calling it education, could go home, the school's not allowed to do so.

I think many people are just immune in seeing the problem, and should view it from a different point. If there were no religious instruction in the school and suddenly the school introduced religious prayer in the morning/evening many parents would be outraged and oppose such a move saying that it has no part in the education.

Actually it would be interesting to do a poll (by a polling company so parents could stay anonymous) of the parents in that school on whether they agree that the school should teach prayers as part of it's days-education.

What about doing a poll on say a few schools in Dublin just to see the figures?
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:13 pm

Bik wrote:How many pubs are there in the village?
An atheists in the pub night some Saturday night there might be fun, I'm sure the local publicans and b&b owners wouldn't object to our business!
3 pubs in the village and 1 just outside. My local would not mind I think... not been there lately though.