Late Late Show

aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Late Late Show

Post by aZerogodist » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:10 pm

20:59 Mr.T just said ''after the news..... Parents who want to ban crucifixes from classrooms''
?? What, here we go Dawkins...
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:12 am

Well done everyone, pity it was so rushed. Jane was great and got the point across well, hope at least it will make people more aware.
DaithiDublin

Post by DaithiDublin » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:05 am

I think that was a reasonably good discussion of the topic, so far as the Late Late goes.

For those who haven't seen it, and don't want to wrangle with the RTE Player, I've uploaded the discussion on it's own and it can be watched here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W13RcfHZHEk
As yet I have not found a single case of a terrestrial animal which fertilises itself.

- Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species
(he obviously never went to Bray)
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:04 am

thanks for that! I posted that to the people in Holland so they don't have to sit through the rest of the bollocks.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:40 pm

I always get the feeling when Tubs reads an "email" especially when he delivers it with the passion he did the "Get over it" email.... that it is not actually an email but Tubs saying what he wants by using his Tablet PC as a sock puppet for himself.

No one pulled Tubs up on his "well why not just MOVE and find an educate together school?". Nice that he lives in an Ireland where there are so many jobs available that people can just quit, up and move, and get a new job anywhere they like. It is nice he lives in an Ireland where if everyone DID move to close to an educate together school that there would be enough places for everyone who require them!

Alas us here in reality do not live in that Ireland in his head.
aiseiri47
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aiseiri47 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:04 pm

Well done, everyone; too bad Tubridy is useless and kept interrupting everyone just as they were making their point (particularly when he started interrupting people to read those subjective e-mails and when he accused the Muslim man of embarrassing his son by calling him out of Church.)

Breda O'Brien is useless; sorry, I don't agree at all with what she says about "one-size-fits-all" (and lost a little respect for those who agreed with her, even if they were only being diplomatic) ; there are secular schools in many western cultures who educate and nurture children just fine; believe it or not, Breda, a school is not just meandering without direction because they don't teach religion. Why can a school not have an ethos of tolerance, and respect without bringing an ancient book into it? (Not that I've seen a whole lot of tolerance and respect in the Catholic ethos.)
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:30 pm

aiseiri47 wrote:Well done, everyone; too bad Tubridy is useless and kept interrupting everyone just as they were making their point (particularly when he started interrupting people to read those subjective e-mails and when he accused the Muslim man of embarrassing his son by calling him out of Church.)

Breda O'Brien is useless; sorry, I don't agree at all with what she says about "one-size-fits-all" (and lost a little respect for those who agreed with her, even if they were only being diplomatic) ; there are secular schools in many western cultures who educate and nurture children just fine; believe it or not, Breda, a school is not just meandering without direction because they don't teach religion. Why can a school not have an ethos of tolerance, and respect without bringing an ancient book into it? (Not that I've seen a whole lot of tolerance and respect in the Catholic ethos.)
The worst thing she said and says is that if there is no religion taught in a school that that is not neutral. Total nonsense but she and the Iona istitute write that all the time and keep repeating it.

Tubridy attacked her on saying it was not democratic what she wants and that ET (well he pointed in the direction of the ET people) was much more democratic with more choice.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
aiseiri47
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aiseiri47 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:11 pm

Tulip1 wrote:Tubridy attacked her on saying it was not democratic what she wants and that ET (well he pointed in the direction of the ET people) was much more democratic with more choice.

At least he was being democratic in making sure he interrupted everyone equally.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:31 pm

DaithiDublin wrote:I think that was a reasonably good discussion of the topic, so far as the Late Late goes.

For those who haven't seen it, and don't want to wrangle with the RTE Player, I've uploaded the discussion on it's own and it can be watched here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W13RcfHZHEk
Thanks Daithi, just watched again.
Interesting when Ryan asked the audience to raise their hands if they where practicing Catholics, looked about half, which was nice to see.
Atheist Ireland Youtube
HOME RULE not ROME RULE
If I'm your mission shepherd, best give it up, your welcome on my boat..god aren't. -firefly
Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies-links to local clubs & news
DaithiDublin

Post by DaithiDublin » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:56 am

aZerogodist wrote:Interesting when Ryan asked the audience to raise their hands if they where practicing Catholics, looked about half, which was nice to see.
Yes. And you'd have to factor in those who did so either because of who they were with, or for the thought of who might see them on telly. There are so many weekend Catholics in the country who aren't quite ready to break the ties. I'm convinced that it is little more than tradition with a lot of them. Of course, it is always the most passionate ones like Breda O'Brien who make their voices heard while the rest follow along with what is being said in their name.

They've been called sheeple , and such-like in the comments for that video. I think that's an overly simplistic description. It's too easy to bandy around such terms. It's a cheap shot, basically. If I was on the receiving end of it, it would bristle me and perhaps make me dig in my heals a bit.

I think that when some people in the 'atheist community' take the easy route of demeaning these people for being weak minded and easily led, they do us a disservice. They're turning off the very people we need to reach, and are closest to being reached. And I'm talking about the commenters in particular. I spend a lot of time on YouTube, and a lot of that will be reading and writing comments. The irony is never lost on me that there is an army of atheist commenters posting largely similar messages accusing believers of being predictable. As well as being arrogant, that just makes for circular arguments. Arguing for the sake of it. I can't say I haven't been guilty of it, but I do feel guilty afterwards. I can't help thinking that we need a new to find a new tack before we loose the momentum of the last few years. Less attack and more generosity of spirit. A less confrontational and more attractive example.
I like the new We Are Atheism website. It seems to have a good ethos, if not a little Americanised . I think that those weekend Catholics here will adopt any tradition where they still get to be ordinary decent people and just get on with the job of living a life. If only it is presented to them properly.
..and then I read the comments section on a YT video and I think: Oh, for fuck sake...

Ok, rambling now. Not sure where I was going with that, it just occurred to me tonight. Something along the lines of catching more flies with honey than vinegar. There's too much vinegar representing the atheist community on many platforms where there's anonymity. And not enough honey, like we saw on the Late Late. Everyone presented themselves really well there. I'm wondering how we turn that around.

Anyway, just some thoughts. Opinions wanted, as always!

Daithi
As yet I have not found a single case of a terrestrial animal which fertilises itself.

- Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species
(he obviously never went to Bray)