Direct action!

McQuaid

Direct action!

Post by McQuaid » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:02 pm

Hi Everyone

I am new to this website and just want to say I think it is a great Idea!
I like many of you here would like to see a more secular society and hopefully one day an Ireland that is free from servitude to religion and a more reasoned approach to evolution.

I think as a country we have moved on from terrible oppression of religion not fully but we are getting there, my thinking on joining this website was that probably in my naievity I could help speed up that process.

There are a lot of lapsed catholics in this country who are atheists or agnostics who as yet have not excommunicated themselves from the church and I was wondering would it be possible? or have people on here the will to set up a grouping or campaign for people who would like to excommunicate themselves from the church in a large group to get some publicity.

This group could be set at a initial goal of 1000 former catholics but it could be changed depending on the response.

The effect of this publicity would be to encourage others to question their beliefs and maybe open the door for them to excommunicate themselves, this I believe would have the effect of helping to speed up that process of a country in transition.

Thanks for your time!

Gary
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Direct action!

Post by Tulip1 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:54 pm

The church wont let the be excommunicated accoording to canonlaw. That is a huge problem and that is why Countmeout.ie is out of business.

The state doesn't want to make the church do it while in other countries make the church write them out.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:10 pm

Hi Gary,

Welcome. Someone thought of this before you. Have a look here:

http://www.countmeout.ie

However, since the site was set up and received quite a lot of publicity, the catholic church changed canon law to say that you can no longer defect.

I think you're confusing defection and excommunication.

Excommunication is a punishment for a catholic who commits a grave offence against the church or christianity or whatever. It shouldn't make an iota of difference to you if you're excommunicated as they say themselves that it does not reverse your baptism.

Neither in fairness did defection as they say baptism leaves a permanent mark on your soul. But at least defection shows a record that you are no longer a member. But you can't do this anymore.

I would still write a letter, they say they're keeping a note of those wishing to leave.

Our Aussie athiest friends are promoting excommunication.

http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/art ... munication

I'm not sure I could be bothered. Mind you, it's easier for me I defected before they changed the rules! :D
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:45 pm

Beebub wrote:
I think you're confusing defection and excommunication.

So did I.... LOL
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
McQuaid

Post by McQuaid » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:29 am

So we are trapped forever? Surely there is an ability to have this constitutionally challenged is this not against human rights?

Could we not lobby the government or get a petition going? Eamon Gilmore is an atheist surely he can speak for th voiceless.
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:03 am

a french man is trying to sue
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ptism.html
(sorry about the dailymail link :oops:)
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:09 am

I think the count me out folks should start up again regardless of what the pope says. Count me out could still act as register for people who no longer want to be catholic. They could print off a nice little unbaptism certificate for a keepsake and there would be record - a way of measuring the number of people leaving the church.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:37 am

So we are trapped forever?

Only if you are a believer.
dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by dugges » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:30 pm

Feardorcha wrote:
So we are trapped forever?

Only if you are a believer.

Frankly they are welcome to my soul

Welcome to the Forum McQuaid!
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams