New logo and website banner

MichaelNugent
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

New logo and website banner

Post by MichaelNugent » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:28 am

We uploaded a new logo earlier this morning on our Facebook page and the initial feedback was very positive, with 42 likes and 12 dislikes.

Aside from subjective aesthetic opinions, several people commented that it reminded them of the Sinn Fein logo. That is a valid criticism. We’ve now changed it to a single colour instead of two, and used a darker tone of green than the Sinn Fein logo does.

More feedback is welcome, based on the following criteria for an effective logo: that it conveys the intended message, that it is memorable, that it is simple, that it is scalable in size, and that it is reproducable in colour and monotone.

You can see the new logo, and the new banner and sidebar layout, on the front page of

http://atheist.ie
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: New logo and website banner

Post by Tulip1 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:10 am

Much better in my humble opinion. Stronger.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Bik » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:34 am

With the shades of green and red used it now looks like the SDLP logo :lol:

I like it though.
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
funkyderek

Post by funkyderek » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:11 am

I like it but it's a bit "fat". The proportions are wrong. Reducing the width by about 20% would resolve this. Also, I think the details of the curves are a bit off, especially Connaught. If we could tone down the "Mr. Blobby" / "jelly baby" look without losing the simplicity it could be very effective.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Image Image Image Image
MichaelNugent
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by MichaelNugent » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:21 am

There is a new version online now, both on our Facebook page and on the homepage banner of http://atheist.ie

The main issues raised about the second version were that it looks soft and passive and jelly-baby-y rather than sharp and active and dynamic.

The new version uses a very abstract three-line representation of the shape of Ireland, along with the letter A that most atheist advocacy groups worldwide use some variation of.
funkyderek

Post by funkyderek » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:45 am

I think I prefer the new version. In my opinion, it needs to be tweaked slightly so that it's made up of three green rectangles and the angles are parallel to those of the A. I think that's the intention but at the moment it's slightly off. I also think the gap between Leinster and the North is a bit large but again that can be easily fixed.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Image Image Image Image
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:44 pm

I'm not a fan to be honest. The old logo with the scarlet A is far more attention grabbing. My preference would be to keep the old logo in preference to the options presented so far for new ones.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:56 pm

I like the new logo. I think the boxy green is much easier on the eyes than the previous slender red 'A'.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:06 pm

I like the new logo without the red the best. Very strong. Did you experiment with the thickness of the A?
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:13 pm

Personally I never liked the green and red together so for me this is definitely an improvement. I think it looks much cleaner and sharper.

It took me a bit to realise that the green shapes represented Ireland, but maybe I'm a little slow :P