New logo and website banner

canasta42

Re: New logo and website banner

Post by canasta42 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:40 pm

The new logo:

Me again, with another 2 c worth:

I've had a cruise around the web to see what other atheist groups use and, while most are pretty poor, I consider 'our' new one to be down at the bottom of the barrel.

I know that it's easy to criticize without proferring some positive solution.

I also know that sometimes, when designing some aesthetic or visual solution, it is easy to become somewhat inured to the impact of what it is you are designing/struggling with. It is good to step back from it and/or get other people's views.

Logos are important, they can project - or induce - feelings associated with the graphic. Lettering is important in the same way and all kinds of subtle feelings and associations can be transmitted by means of the graphics and lettering. The logo should aim to be associated with bright, open, friendly, optimistic feelings etc. etc. I believe that this is possible to achieve.

The 'new' logo looks more dull, heavy, weak etc (in my opinion).

It is true that many of these feelings are subjective. But I believer that it is possible for a logo to carry these associations by means of its graphic styling.

I think that, of all the atheist logos I've looked at recently, Richard Dawkins' foundation's red 'A' - the current logo - is the best. It looks light, friendly and familiar.

If the logo is not readily associated in the public mind with atheists, then I suggest putting the words "Atheist Ireland" underneath in simple, clear, strong, but not necessarily dark, green letters. (Very similar to the current/'old' logo.

Think of Shell Oil: whatever you think of the company, their logo is one of the best and most recognizable in the world. It began as a yellow scallop shell with the word 'SHELL' under it in large clear letters. Now they do not need to put the word 'SHELL' there any more. It took some time to achieve this recognition, but I think that is the way we should go.

We should choose a clear, simple logo. (I suggest Dawkins' red 'A').

Once again I think the new logo is dull, heavy, complicated, weak and tries to be too clever and achieves an unwanted complexity.

I am slightly timid in offering such strong views because:

I am not actually a paid up member of Atheist Ireland

I am only an occasional contributor to this forum

Of all the respondents, my views are in the minority

I have immense respect and gratitude for Michael Nugent and the other members of Atheist Ireland for all the work they undertake on behalf of atheists in this country.

However, I think the new logo is a mistake. I thought I should put forward my positive suggestion for what I think the new logo should be.

C.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:18 am

alternative banner suggestion - although i like the new logo

والقس هو مجنون
MichaelNugent
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by MichaelNugent » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:28 pm

Some quick clarification regarding some aspects of the logo.

The red A is not the logo of the Dawkins Foundation, and was not even technically speaking our logo. It is the logo of the Out Campaign, which encourages atheist groups and websites to publish their logo with a link to their website.

When we started Atheist Ireland, we borrowed the Out Campaign’s A as our own interim logo, on the understanding that we would develop our own logo at a later stage. So we’ve now done that.

I am happy that the new logo serves the professional requirements of an effective logo, and I am optimistic that, over time, that we will be able to associate it in the public mind with the aims and work of Atheist Ireland as a dynamic, active organisation.

There is of course a subjective aesthetic element to each person’s reaction to any logo, and in developing this logo we tried to balance the criticisms of the early versions with the fact that, at all stages of the development, more people liked the logo than disliked it.

I’d like to again thank everyone who shared opinions on this.
robdonn
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Loving the new logo!

Post by robdonn » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:20 am

aZerogodist wrote:Will take a bit of getting use to but I like the abstractness.
robdonn wrote:I just had to have a go at animating it. Maybe it could be used for YouTube videos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkVPnJZ0rOY
I like, snappy and short, do you think you might do any further animating or happy to use as is?
Can't really think of anything else to do with it right now. If you want to use as is then go for it. If you have any suggestions then I'm definitely open to them.
I'm fucking Matt Damon!!
calumet140
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by calumet140 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:03 pm

Would prefer stronger colours,like:red,blue etc.
Dr Raskolnikov
Location: "In the beginning there was the word, and the word was "word up biatch""

Post by Dr Raskolnikov » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:42 am

calumet140 wrote:Would prefer stronger colours,like:red,blue etc.
... and white?...
Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins the movie by telling you how it ends. Well, I say there are some things we don't want to know. Important things. - Ned Flanders