Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Richard Dawkins in Conversation

Post by peter63 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:17 pm

Apologies if this has been posted before

Richard Dawkins in Conversation
05-06-2012 8:00 PM - Main Auditorium

http://www.nch.ie/online/seriesCalendar ... ::search=1
“God and Country are an unbeatable team; they break all records for oppression and bloodshed” Luis Buñuel. Quoted in The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Richard Dawkins in Conversation

Post by aZerogodist » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:27 pm

Cool, I'll put it in my diary, thanks Peter see you there.
Atheist Ireland Youtube
HOME RULE not ROME RULE
If I'm your mission shepherd, best give it up, your welcome on my boat..god aren't. -firefly
Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies-links to local clubs & news
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:27 pm

Really enjoyed the event this evening. Nice shout out to Micheal from the man himself when asked how we could make Ireland more aggressively secularist. Pity he didn't actually name AI when telling people to join.

Anyone notice the Darwin lookalike in the front row??

I'd loved to have seen his answer to that feckin' loon John J. May if he had known May was the author of that loopy anti-evolution book, particularly that May seemed to be giving him stick for saying 'saint' Paul and 'holy' scripture. May seemed to be looking for attention with his question and looking for applause for his comment about getting rid of organised religion, which he didn't get I was glad to see. Feckin' eejit that he is!

Did anyone understand the question about digging up our ancestors and burning them and polluting the environment??
umbauk
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by umbauk » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:19 am

"I think it was a renewables question" - hilarious.

Really enjoyed it too.

I thought it was interesting how comments on the fallacies and failures of christianity were largely met with laughs and applause, but there was an almost audible intake of breath and nervous silence whenever he mentioned islam.

I wonder if it's because we recognise how intolerant some muslims can be and we're afraid of the repercussions (like he said, the religion professes killing people for a variety of minor and imaginary offenses), or if it's that we don't particularly mind "our own" religion being insulted, but other people's religions are still somewhat taboo?

Kudos to him, he's a brave man either way.