A Devil's Chaplain
3%
The Ancestor's Tale
31%

Total votes: 29
DanCorb

Richard Dawkins

Post by DanCorb » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:02 pm

Besides the God Delusion, what is your favourite other book by Richard Dawkins?
hector

Post by hector » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:40 pm

My favorite dawins book is the selfish gene
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by adamd164 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:21 pm

Very close call for me here between The Selfish Gene and The Ancestor's Tale. I took so much from both of them that it doesn't seem right to choose, but if I was pressed I'd go for TSG on the basis of how important I feel it was generally.

(they were all great, by the way. The Extended Phenotype was his most original and innovative work.)
robdonn
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by robdonn » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:49 pm

Apart from TGD, the only one I've read so far is Climbing Mount Improbable. Although yesterday I used a well earned book voucher to buy The Blind Watchmaker, The Selfish Gene, Unweaving The Rainbow, The Ancestor's Tale and A Devil's Chaplain.

I'll be doing some reading this Christmas...
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:26 am

The Ancestor's Tale is a fabulous book and gets my vote.
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
eoin
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by eoin » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:24 am

It's a tough choice; I'm going for Climbing Mount Improbable, but I'd also put in a plug for the unlikely-sounding The Extended Phenotype (a more professionally-orientated follow-up to The Selfish Gene).

Eoin
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:10 pm

I said the selfish gene. Although I haven't actually read it yet I have a fair Idea of what it's about. This book opens up a whole new way of thinking about Darwinian evolution. I may be wrong, because I haven't read any of the others in the list either :oops: but I find it difficult to see how anything else could rival it... though the extended phenotype might come in next place.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Richard Dawkins

Post by Ygern » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:57 am

After TGD, my favourite so far is The Ancestor's Tale, which I would characterise as a gem amongst non-fiction writing. It's so much more than a comprehensive primer on evolution - witty, discursive on a variety of related subjects such as cosmology, quantum physics and philology and always intent on informing rather than dazzling the reader.

I've just been given The Extended Phenotype as a Winter Solstice Booze-Up Present (my friends are well-informed and obliging :wink: ); so watch this space.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
robdonn
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by robdonn » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:18 am

The Ancestor's Tale

Everybody feel free to have a read, I'll be uploading the rest of my collection over the next few days.
I'm fucking Matt Damon!!
niallllll

Post by niallllll » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:03 pm

The selfish gene was one of the first contemporary science books i read, have continued to read and would happily read through it again sometime in the future. I would have to say that it may have been one of the main influences that set me on my current academic path. (That and a truly amazing Biology teacher in secondary school)