Movie V for Vendetta

Tell us about what you've been reading or watching
Hobbesian World View

Movie V for Vendetta

Post by Hobbesian World View » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:00 pm

The movie V for Vendetta was on TV3 last night, which I enjoyed immensely for a whole lot of reasons. It depicted a society where the state has taken away basic human rights and controls the media in order to stay in power. The church is a shown as partner in this oppression, which struck me as being what usually happens in the real world also. Theres a scene in it where a bishop is shown trying to rape a girl.

It was a very well thought out script and the ideas were bang on target. For example, it shows most of the regimes collaborators as believing they are being good law abiding citizens. And also, they were bang on about homosexuality being an important aspect of basic human freedom.

Anyone else care to comment on this movie and why they liked or disliked it.
lostexpectation

Re: Movie V for Vendetta

Post by lostexpectation » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:17 pm

bit of nasty antihero though, screwing with the girl.
test
Hobbesian World View

Post by Hobbesian World View » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:44 pm

lostexpectation wrote:bit of nasty antihero though, screwing with the girl.
Tough but not nasty. Necessary when youre battling that kind of oppression.
cosmosforest

Post by cosmosforest » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:46 pm

That's how it happens in the comic book/graphic novel.
Alan Moore (who wrote Watchmen, and several Batman comics, and many others) penned this back in the day.
I'd recommend it if you enjoyed the film, as I would Watchmen as well (Watchmen even more so).
his works ar elisted here.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war"
Plato
eannamul
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by eannamul » Wed May 06, 2009 8:36 pm

i saw the film a few years ago so my memory of it is a quite hazy, however i do remember thinking the entire duration of watching it that it very much smacked of 1984 (the George Orwell novel) to the point where i couldnt take the film as seriously as i otherwise would have. the 'leader' figure in v is very reminiscent of big brother and the 'bagging' of citizens is also an act regularly carried out in 1984.

not to say its a bad film, just that i'd read 1984 a few months before seeing the film so all the issuess tackled in the film didnt seem to me to bring anything new or improve on anything already explored in 1984. in my own opinion 1984 is a far superior piece of work and i'd strongly recommend it if you havent read it already. i did very much enjoy the colourful character of v and his impressive mastery of the english language though.

another film i've seen recently that loosely falls into the 'future controlled by the religious extreme' type genre is 'franklyn'. part of the story shows a fantasy world where it is illegal to be without religion and religious police (clerics) patrol the streets. although the final act of the film reveals the true nature of this world to be something different, the film itself it quite good and raises some interesting points. - also 3 of the 4 main characters are atheists and voltaire is quoted a couple of times.

Hobbesian World View wrote: And also, they were bang on about homosexuality being an important aspect of basic human freedom.
the film milk may be of further interest to you then. very much highlights this issue and vividly shows how claiming otherwise is an infringement of human rights.
Hobbesian World View

Post by Hobbesian World View » Wed May 06, 2009 9:17 pm

eannamul wrote:it very much smacked of 1984 (the George Orwell novel) to the point where i couldnt take the film as seriously as i otherwise would have. the 'leader' figure in v is very reminiscent of big brother and the 'bagging' of citizens is also an act regularly carried out in 1984.
Well of course its going to be similar to "1984". One kind of totalitarian regime is very much like another. They all do surveillance, propaganda, imprisonment without charge, bagging, torture etc. The point of Vendetta was to bring the concept up to date, and re-present it to a younger audience.

Vendetta has had a big effect on many young people. It is the inspiration behind the successful "Anonymous" movement, which has sought to confront the church of scientology.

Is there anyone here involved in Anonymous? Ive heard theyre still picketing Scientology on Abbey St? Is that true?