Religilous

Tell us about what you've been reading or watching
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Religilous

Post by Beebub » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:11 pm

I watched this last week. Bill Maher is one funny dude.

Dawkins is accused of arrogance and superiority. However Dawkins is always respectful and never mocking.

Maher just goes for them hammer and tongs. I can't count how many times he replied to an interviewee's response to one of his question with 'Come oooooon!!!!'

It's hilarious and a must see.

He goes to 'Jesus Land' or 'Holy Land' or some such equally tacky name for a Jesus theme park. On the way in the door he's confronted by animatronic people interacting with animatronic dinosaurs. If it wasn't so bloody real it would really be funny, but it's actually quite sad.

He also visits an orthdox Jew who is an inventor. I'm not up on Jewish tradition but orthodox Jews don't do anything on the Sabbath including using a telephone and all sorts of other stuff. This guy has invented a whole pile of nutty looking instruments which allows an orthdox Jew to use the telephone on the sabbath without actually using the telephone. It's mad as all giddy up and has to be seen to be believed.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Religilous

Post by chemicals » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:21 pm

والقس هو مجنون
dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by dugges » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:24 pm

+1
topdocumentaryfilms.com will have full versions of most documentaries.
It has Jesus Camp and The God Who Wasn't there

It also has the full Carl Sagan's Cosmos (split into 10 min YouTube sinppets)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams
djoc17

Post by djoc17 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:56 pm

I'm a big Maher fan.
Check out Real Time (with Bill Maher) on hbo.com every friday night.
Sorry Saturday morning here as it's shot in L.A.
He takes his slant on religion all across the political board.
Rogan
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Rogan » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:38 pm

Yeah, Religilous is a great documentary, it's hilarious!
eoinyk1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by eoinyk1 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:17 am

Saw religulous too... was ok but preferred some other recent films which kinda take on religion more obliquely.. Cilian Murphy is said to have given up believing after acting in the sci-fi film 'Sunshine'.

And there's a strange film out at the moment called 'dogtooth' - not explicitly anti-religious but kinda reminds me of what religion does to people if ideas are censored and children are kept away from experiencing the full range of different influences, as well as being controlled by a father figure. Ambiguous ending.
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:29 am

*Joke Spoiler*

Highlight text to view.

The best part of the film is when the €2,000 suit preacher tells a member of his congregation who confesses suicidal thoughts that he should put that passion and hatred towards religion. Maher cuts to a man running in to a van in some middle eastern setting followed by an explosion coupled with a silent audio feed.
RichardDawkinsFan

Bill Maher's Religulous

Post by RichardDawkinsFan » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:42 pm

All ten parts on youtube. Very very funny stuff. Go look see. :)
Last edited by mkaobrih on Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod: merged post
Human beings are all equal. Religion, color, sexuality and other 'tags' should mean nothing. Live life without bias or discrimination.
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:56 am

Yeah...

I've been listening recently to hte podcasts of his HBO programme 'Real Time'. It's very good and he can be very funny. He also frequently makes very sound points and I find myself agreeing with him qutie a lot. He's a little too left wing for my liking, but we need more of him and less George Bush's in the world, that's for sure.

However, get him on the subject of Isreal and just like Jon Stewart, all objectivity, rationality and principles go out the window. Although he's an atheist he does come from a part Jewish background. He was dicsussing the Isreal invasion of the ship in international waters last year. If it had been done by any other country, even his own, he would have condemned it. But no, shock horror he sided with the Isrealis and thought their actions justified. :roll:

Other than that, he's pretty cool.
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:38 am

...there is also the fact that he is anti-anti-vaccine crank :roll:
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver