The Naked Emperor - Why Religion is Bollocks.

Tell us about what you've been reading or watching
Cracker

Re: The Naked Emperor - Why Religion is Bollocks.

Post by Cracker » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:03 pm

Nobody ever erected a monument to a critic. It takes years to build something but only a short time to wreck it. How many books have you written? I cannot find any of the books on Kindle mentioned by Feardorcha and I suspect he is a liar. They are silly titles anyway. The two people who gave it 5 star reviews are on different continents. So you remind me of a eunuch in a brothel, you can't do it yourself so you find fault in those who do it. A flea book is one that refutes the original book, and uses the name of the author or the title in the title. This book does neither and is the genuine discussion by the author meant to contribute to the subject. It would seem you just enjoy wrecking peoples attempts to build something. That says a lot about you. When will you write a book so people can belittle what you do?
funkyderek

Post by funkyderek » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:51 pm

Cracker wrote:Nobody ever erected a monument to a critic. It takes years to build something but only a short time to wreck it. How many books have you written? I cannot find any of the books on Kindle mentioned by Feardorcha and I suspect he is a liar. They are silly titles anyway. The two people who gave it 5 star reviews are on different continents. So you remind me of a eunuch in a brothel, you can't do it yourself so you find fault in those who do it. A flea book is one that refutes the original book, and uses the name of the author or the title in the title. This book does neither and is the genuine discussion by the author meant to contribute to the subject. It would seem you just enjoy wrecking peoples attempts to build something. That says a lot about you. When will you write a book so people can belittle what you do?
Cracker, why are you so offended by what a group of people you don't know, on the other side of the world from you, and with whom you have never interacted, think about a book you have no personal stake in?
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Image Image Image Image
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:57 pm

I cannot find any of the books on Kindle mentioned by Feardorcha and I suspect he is a liar.
Eh! Well that's true but I was aiming for irony.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:55 pm

Cracker wrote:Nobody ever erected a monument to a critic. It takes years to build something but only a short time to wreck it. How many books have you written? I cannot find any of the books on Kindle mentioned by Feardorcha and I suspect he is a liar. They are silly titles anyway. The two people who gave it 5 star reviews are on different continents. So you remind me of a eunuch in a brothel, you can't do it yourself so you find fault in those who do it. A flea book is one that refutes the original book, and uses the name of the author or the title in the title. This book does neither and is the genuine discussion by the author meant to contribute to the subject. It would seem you just enjoy wrecking peoples attempts to build something. That says a lot about you. When will you write a book so people can belittle what you do?
whinge whinge whinge :lol:
والقس هو مجنون
Cracker

Post by Cracker » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:09 am

funkyderek wrote:
Cracker, why are you so offended by what a group of people you don't know, on the other side of the world from you, and with whom you have never interacted, think about a book you have no personal stake in?
The author is an atheist who is speaking out with his voice against organised religion and he was in a Catholic orphanage as a small boy. The way you people denigrate his work, you would think he was the enemy, when in fact he is on your side. I always speak up for the underdog, but it appears you like to put the boots in, even to one of your own. The put downs and superior attitude to a fellow atheist, who has gone to the effort of producing a book is quite amazing. Do you belittle other authors? Flea books? If someone refutes Dawkins in a book called "The Dawkins Delusion" then that is a Flea book. For it is contrary to Dawkins but rides on his back using his name or title of the book. I fail to see how you can draw that bow in this case, other than seeing it as being nasty to someone who has attempted something you never have and most likely never will do yourself. Monuments are erected to builders not wreckers, so take a good long hard look at yourself, because what you have shown here in this thread is anything but honourable.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:13 pm

Cracker wrote: I always speak up for the underdog, but it appears you like to put the boots in, even to one of your own. The put downs and superior attitude to a fellow atheist, who has gone to the effort of producing a book is quite amazing.......
Monuments are erected to builders not wreckers, .
I suppose you think this guy has also made a huge contribution to science and deserves a monument -I mean look at all the books he has written and all the videos he has produced :o

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keyword ... ind&page=1
والقس هو مجنون
Cracker

Post by Cracker » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:35 pm

chemicals wrote: I suppose you think this guy has also made a huge contribution to science and deserves a monument -I mean look at all the books he has written and all the videos he has produced :o

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keyword ... ind&page=1
Kent Hovind is barking mad, and not one of your own, and someone pushing rubbish. You on the other hand are Working to build a rational, ethical and secular society free from superstition and supernaturalism.

So the author is one of your own. His father is from County Down. He was in a Catholic orphanage, and is voicing his protest against organised religion, and all you can do is put the boots in. He would be treated better if he went to Church. They would be nice to him there and give him a cup of tea.

All you can do is patronize and hand out put downs, yet none of you have ever published any books yourself. As one said above - his heart is in the right place. It is strange how you treat one of your own. That tells me you are just as bad as the religious - worse. They at least are nice to their own.
HarryO'Criosna

Post by HarryO'Criosna » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:44 pm

Cracker wrote:He would be treated better if he went to Church. They would be nice to him there and give him a cup of tea.

All you can do is patronize and hand out put downs, yet none of you have ever published any books yourself. As one said above - his heart is in the right place. It is strange how you treat one of your own.
I gave my honest opinion of the book. Someone working for the author promoted it here, so comments on it are fair game. Just because the author and I share a viewpoint on something doesn't mean I should say his book is great. Fair enough I've never written a book, but so what? Yeah it must have taken a long time and lots of effort and dedication, and I appreciate that, but it still doesn't mean I have to like it. If you write something but don't want any criticism of it, then its probably best to keep it to yourself.

Also I didn't realise they were handing out cups of tea in churches now, it was strictly body and blood of long-dead messiahs on the menu the last time I darkened their door.
funkyderek

Post by funkyderek » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:46 pm

Cracker wrote: The way you people denigrate his work, you would think he was the enemy, when in fact he is on your side. I always speak up for the underdog, but it appears you like to put the boots in, even to one of your own. The put downs and superior attitude to a fellow atheist, who has gone to the effort of producing a book is quite amazing.
Not really. It's just not a very good book. Truth be told, it's terrible. There is more to publishing a book than simply writing 20,000 words on a given topic - or at least there used to be. We've allowed the author (and his friends) to publicise his work here, but he has no right to be immune from criticism, or to expect five-star reviews just because his heart is in the right place or because writing a book - even a bad one - is hard.

Again I have to ask: why are you so offended by what a group of people you don't know, on the other side of the world from you, and with whom you have never interacted, think about a book you have no personal stake in?
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Image Image Image Image
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:53 pm

Cracker wrote: and someone pushing rubbish.
out of the mouths of babes !
. It is strange how you treat one of your own.
So the author is one of your own. His father is from County Down. He was in a Catholic orphanage,
what has that got to do with the quality of his work??
yet none of you have ever published any books yourself.
so what ? do food critics have to be chefs? do movie critics have to be directors? do book critics have to be best selling writers? do religious critics have to be priests ? -obviously not !

and how do you know that any way ? besides any one can get a vanity book printed !
Would you like to see your manuscript published? VIVID, a division of Fontaine Publishing Group, supplies the necessary trade publishing expertise, quality book production and printing experience, giving your book the best chance possible in the marketplace. VIVID also provides budget solutions for personal publishing ventures, book printing and book cover and interior design services. VIVID books are listed with the National Library of Australia, Global Books-in-Print and TitlePage® enabling your book to be easily found, discovered and ordered by bookstores, libraries and readers.
http://www.vividpublishing.com.au/gettingpublished/ - the authors publisher
was it peer reviewed ? clearly the editing was also absent from the bit I had to endure on amazon .
They at least are nice to their own

thousands of survivors of physical and sexual abuse by the catholic church would disagree
والقس هو مجنون