Films: Marjoe and Jesus Camp

Tell us about what you've been reading or watching
Kaulpelly
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Films: Marjoe and Jesus Camp

Post by Kaulpelly » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:50 pm

Hi All,

Just thought I'd share two films I've shown a couple of my skeptical friends recently that you might not have heard of.

The first is Marjoe and is a really interesting documentary about Marjoe Gortner who goes back to his days as a preacher to highlight the whole 'industry' behind it. He was an ordained minister at 4 yrs old if you can believe it.

The other film which is less 'interesting' and more 'disturbing' is Jesus Camp. Its basically another docu, this one about the religious summer camps in the States used to warp the minds of America's youth.

Give me a shout if you want me to try and get you copies of these films as Marjoe is a tough one to find but worth the effort.
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Films: Marjoe and Jesus Camp

Post by paolovf » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:54 am

I've seen extended clips from Jesus camp - yeah, very disturbing. The kids all appear to be brainwashed.
Vae

Post by Vae » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:15 pm

Those proselytisation camps always seem to upset me. It's sad that people would so openly harm the minds of children without any idea of what they are doing. If only children were given a chance to think for themselves, and not to have their mind made up for them by religious zealots..
Kaulpelly
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Kaulpelly » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:59 am

Its pretty scary alright. The main organiser of the camps is a seriously messed up piece of work too.

She wants a militant Christian population that's comparable to Muslim extremists.

Watching the kids speaking in tongues and writhing around the floor while 'communing with the holy spirit' is really shocking.
Its like mass hypnosis and the fear of the whole thing really shows up on the kids faces.

Not painting the prettiest picture of it but I do think it is a must see.
DaithiDublin

Post by DaithiDublin » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:06 pm

Kaulpelly wrote:Give me a shout if you want me to try and get you copies of these films as Marjoe is a tough one to find but worth the effort.
I'd love to see that Marjoe film. I read an interview with him in a magazine back in the early 80's and I've never forgotten him. And I don't think I've heard his name mentioned in a very long time.

I've seen Jesus Camp, but I wouldn't mind having a copy of it for the files too, if that's possible.

Cheers,
Dave
As yet I have not found a single case of a terrestrial animal which fertilises itself.

- Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species
(he obviously never went to Bray)
Kaulpelly
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Kaulpelly » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:58 pm

On its way to you now.

Only sent Marjoe though, sorry. Forgot all about Jesus Camp.
DaithiDublin

Post by DaithiDublin » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:04 am

Kaulpelly wrote:On its way to you now.

Only sent Marjoe though, sorry. Forgot all about Jesus Camp.
No bother, Jesus Camp is accessible enough. But I'm really looking forward to this Marjoe flick. I'll track down the article for you, it'll give me an excuse to crawl around my mother's attic for an hour or two. There's tons of cool stuff up there! Well, it's mostly mine so I would say that..

Thanks again!

Dave
As yet I have not found a single case of a terrestrial animal which fertilises itself.

- Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species
(he obviously never went to Bray)