Books I am reading or about to read

Tell us about what you've been reading or watching
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Books I am reading or about to read

Post by Tulip1 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:04 am

Thank you, Can't wait. I really would like to have the kindle so I can read research papers etc in the sunshine! Need to write mt Thesis next year. :wink:
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:21 pm

Tulip1 wrote:Thank you, Can't wait. I really would like to have the kindle so I can read research papers etc in the sunshine! Need to write mt Thesis next year. :wink:
I'm currently writing my thesis too Tulip!

I've tried some papers (pdf format) on my Kindle Touch. I've used papers that contain a wide range of text, graphs and images and I've had no problems. The device displays them in portrait and the user can easily zoom and pan with touch-screen control.

A friend of mine also got a Touch recently and he had trouble with one pdf, specifically with the resizing of the text and lines that made up a table of data, such that it all overlapped when he zoomed. In this case I'd look at formatting the pdf again such that the table is converted to an image, or if that's too awkward or time consuming, I'd just convert the whole document to images rather than text and lines (hope that makes sense). You can download free (and legal) pdf converter software to do this.

For the week I've been playing with it, it seems to me that the device is quite capable of handling most pdfs.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:32 pm

paolovf wrote:
Tulip1 wrote:Thank you, Can't wait. I really would like to have the kindle so I can read research papers etc in the sunshine! Need to write mt Thesis next year. :wink:
I'm currently writing my thesis too Tulip!

I've tried some papers (pdf format) on my Kindle Touch. I've used papers that contain a wide range of text, graphs and images and I've had no problems. The device displays them in portrait and the user can easily zoom and pan with touch-screen control.

A friend of mine also got a Touch recently and he had trouble with one pdf, specifically with the resizing of the text and lines that made up a table of data, such that it all overlapped when he zoomed. In this case I'd look at formatting the pdf again such that the table is converted to an image, or if that's too awkward or time consuming, I'd just convert the whole document to images rather than text and lines (hope that makes sense). You can download free (and legal) pdf converter software to do this.

For the week I've been playing with it, it seems to me that the device is quite capable of handling most pdfs.
Thanks for the review paolovf. mmm really want one now.. haha What are you studying? I am doing Environmental Science. Work placement this summer and than project and thesis. it is going to be a busy year next year.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:51 pm

Tulip1 wrote:Thanks for the review paolovf. mmm really want one now.. haha What are you studying? I am doing Environmental Science. Work placement this summer and than project and thesis. it is going to be a busy year next year.
No problem. I'm doing a PhD in Mechanical Engineering, I'm in my last year now. It's difficult (for various reasons) but I'm glad I'm doing it. It's carried out in collaboration with a Irish manufacturing company so I'm getting alot of experience and great exposure to important people in academia and industry across the globe. Most of my week is spent working on my PhD.

I think this kindle thing is an excuse to do something else while telling myself it will be beneficial to my work ;)
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Wed May 16, 2012 2:15 pm

I'm nearly finished The Authoritarians by Bob Altemeyer (non fiction). It has some interesting theories about the rise of religious fundamentalism and right wing authoritarianism. He is allowing it to be downloaded for free. Here's a link to the uni website if anyone is interested.
http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~altemey/
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Wed May 16, 2012 2:52 pm

Sounds interesting, downloaded and will upload to my Kindle later.

Incidentally, I've been using my Kindle Touch quite a lot lately and have found it very handy. I use it for ebooks, pdf's of journal papers and books and more recently to store sheet notes and setlists, also in pdf, for music related things.
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Wed May 16, 2012 9:16 pm

eccles wrote: Render Unto Rome: Jason Berry
I read this a while ago. AIB (my bank) was described as the Vatican bank in America in very shady terms who actively helped suppress information about child rapist priests coming to light by paying people off. Unfortunately I can only find Daily Mail links.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ctims.html
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Wed May 16, 2012 9:21 pm

paolovf wrote:Sounds interesting, downloaded and will upload to my Kindle later.
Incidentally, I've been using my Kindle Touch quite a lot lately and have found it very handy. I use it for ebooks, pdf's of journal papers and books and more recently to store sheet notes and setlists, also in pdf, for music related things.
I love my kindle. My mum and son have one as well and get great use out of it. It's so handy I just email pdf's to myself that I want to read and as if by magic it appears on the kindle ready for my perusal.
Idle-Emma

Post by Idle-Emma » Thu May 17, 2012 2:35 am

I'm currently reading 'The God Delusion' by Dawkins while I'm waiting for the copy of Ben Goldacre's 'Bad Science' I orderd a few days ago to arrive in the post.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Thu May 17, 2012 11:32 am

Idle-Emma wrote:' I orderd a few days ago to arrive in the post.
ah one of the great joys of a kindle - no waiting required :)
والقس هو مجنون