Page 2 of 2

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:14 pm
by artyfarty
Reading "The End of Faith" is on my ToDo list after my exams in May but for any of you who've not decided to purchase the book here is a sample of the first chapter to entice you to spend some cash

Click Here

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:49 am
by Neesik
I am reading Sam Harris "the end of faith" right now (from the library, I got them to order it) I'm on chapter 4, page 147.
Man! if you like horror stories; you will love this.
The things that have been done in the name of religion..............Just read it.

Re: Sam Harris - The End of Faith

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:18 pm
by bipedalhumanoid
seamus wrote:I just ordered "The End of Faith" by Sam Harris
Anyone read this yet? What do you think?

Check out this video of a talk he gave

http://www.irishatheist.com/ia/cgi/pm.c ... &app_id=42

:)
I bought the audio-book for my ipod. I thought it was brilliant. There is some seriously cutting arguments both against the truth value of religion and 'virtue' of faith. It is a very short book though. The audio goes for 2 hours. Compare that to the god delusion which goes for about 13 hours.

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:11 pm
by Neesik
bipedalhumanoid
I bought the audio-book for my ipod. I thought it was brilliant. There is some seriously cutting arguments both against the truth value of religion and 'virtue' of faith. It is a very short book though. The audio goes for 2 hours. Compare that to the god delusion which goes for about 13 hours.
I think you might be getting the two books mixed up, "The end of faith" is 256 pages.

"Letter to a christian nation" is short at just 90 pages.
Seamus, they are both excellent books, enjoy your long weekend.Image

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:27 pm
by Martha
Neesik wrote:I am reading Sam Harris "the end of faith" right now (from the library, I got them to order it) I'm on chapter 4, page 147.
Man! if you like horror stories; you will love this.
The things that have been done in the name of religion..............Just read it.
Seriously though, do any of us have to read a book to know what barbaric things were done, and will continue to be done in the name of religion :roll: I know I don't!

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:39 pm
by CatHerder
Martha wrote: Seriously though, do any of us have to read a book to know what barbaric things were done, and will continue to be done in the name of religion :roll: I know I don't!
Let's all quit reading :roll:

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:52 pm
by bipedalhumanoid
Neesik wrote:bipedalhumanoid
I bought the audio-book for my ipod. I thought it was brilliant. There is some seriously cutting arguments both against the truth value of religion and 'virtue' of faith. It is a very short book though. The audio goes for 2 hours. Compare that to the god delusion which goes for about 13 hours.
I think you might be getting the two books mixed up, "The end of faith" is 256 pages.

"Letter to a christian nation" is short at just 90 pages.
Seamus, they are both excellent books, enjoy your long weekend.Image
Ah right you are. Tis letter to a christian nation I have.

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:41 am
by FXR
brianmmulligan wrote:There is an article critical of Sam Harris here:
http://alternet.org/story/46196/
Sam Harris himself sent the link in his newsletter. The article suggests that he is in favour of torture, but I have been able to figure out that he is just in favour of it when the benefits clearly make it worthwhile (I know some of you may disagree with this, but it is still different to outright support of torture - my own mind is not made up on this issue).
The article also suggests that he also gives some credence to some paranormal phenomenon such as ESP and reincarnation. I have not got around to reading any of his books, so if someone has, you might make a comment on that. I did feel that the writer (John Gorenfeld) last some credibility by his misinterpretation (misrepresentation?) of harris's views on torture, but I would like to hear how anyone could suggest that there was anything to reincarnation.

Brian.
There might be something to reincarnation. I'm so lucky I must have been the cancerous left testicle of a lepers dog in my last life!

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:14 pm
by mkaobrih
Just finished reading this one - I preferred the letter to a christian nation though - shorter.
I don't believe that he confronted those east europeans with the girl. I think he was biggin himself up. His chapter on the mind opened up a lot of questions. Going to read some steven pinker for better analysis.