UCC draft constitution

adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

UCC draft constitution

Post by adamd164 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:42 am

Feel free to pick this apart, but I just used the standard constitution format that all the socs have (for comparison, here's the Christian Union's constitution).

(A) Standard type Constitution

1. The name of the society shall be University College Cork Atheist Union Society (?).
2. The objectives of the society shall be:
Primarily, to provide a voice for nonreligious students in University College Cork, bringing to the fore issues of concern to its members, and raising awareness of non-theistic views.
Interest in - and understanding of - rationality, reason, and critical thinking, as manifested in secular philosophy, shall be fostered and encouraged amongst the membership body, as shall the rejection of the supernatural, superstition, and pseudoscience as necessary facets of everyday life.
The Society also aims to equip non-religious students with information on living a life free from organized faith in modern Irish society and to provide them insofar as possible with an educational support.
3. Students shall only have voting right if they have:
- Registered with the Honorary Secretary of the society.
- Attended 5 meetings during the session.
4. The affairs of the Society shall be under the control of a Committee which shall include the Auditor, the Honorary Secretary, the Honorary Treasurer and at least one first year student. The Auditor shall be entitled to make rulings and to take steps towards the proper conduct of meetings.
5. The Committee shall meet at least once every three weeks during term. A quorum shall be one half plus one of the full committee.
6. An Extraordinary General Meeting shall be called by the Honorary Secretary at the request of the Committee, or of one-sixth of the members of the Society.
7. The Annual General Meeting of the Society - advertised at least one full week in advance - shall be held in the second term. The Agenda shall include Minutes, Auditor’s Report, Secretary's Report, Financial Report, and the election of Officers and Committee. The Constitution may only be changed at the A.G.M., and a two-thirds majority vote is required to do so.
8. Membership shall be open to all students of U.C.C.
Last edited by adamd164 on Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IrishAndroid
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: UCC draft constitution

Post by IrishAndroid » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:41 pm

The Christian Union Constitution states that "Membership shall be open to all student members of U.C.C.". I think we should add that.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:09 pm

All student societies are required by UCC to be open to all; I'm not sure if its required that it be stated in the constitution though.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by adamd164 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:13 pm

OK I added it in there.

What about the main text though? Is there anything I'm missing or anything that shouldn't be there?
pantsheadmagee

Post by pantsheadmagee » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:54 pm

Looks good to me!
Jennie

Post by Jennie » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:01 am

I can't think of anything else Adam, nice work. :)
Where words fail - music speaks
Mr. Mercurial

Post by Mr. Mercurial » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:15 am

http://www.uccphilosoph.com/wiki/index. ... nstitution

^ The constitution of the UCC Philosophical Society (Philosoph). It's rather large, but there might be something in there that we might want to emulate, or that the template above has overlooked.

Some Small Suggestions:

I think the 5 meeting requirement could be reduced, maybe to something like the Philosoph’s 2. (“Any current student of UCC who attends at least two ordinary meetings of the society (within the meaning of this constitution) shall become a member of the society, and shall be afforded all of the entitlements of membership outlined in this document”). (The template says “voting rights”, and I’m assuming there is no distinction between members with and without voting rights, i.e. that students with voting rights = members.)

I’m sure there must be some administrative advantage to being able to claim as many members as possible (within reason). What I suggest is that in order to stand for a Committee position within the society, a candidate must have attended at least X meetings (where X is a larger number than 2). I believe the LGBT Soc has some similar provision in their constitution. This would allow us to claim as many members as possible, while protecting against the (highly unlikely) event of some sort of coup.

Second small suggestion is to include something like this from the Philosoph’s constitution:

“ 2. (a) The society shall not discriminate against any person on the basis of gender, age, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, social status, political views, or other grounds.
(b) In particular, nothing in this constitution shall be interpreted so as to discriminate against any person on any of these grounds.”
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by adamd164 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:17 pm

I've made some changes based on the above and what I was told by a member of the socs guild when I showed it to them.

I reduced the number of meetings until membership to 2 and added in a bit about not being able to stand for the committee unless you've attended 5 meetings during the session. I also added Public Relations Officer to the committee list and a bit about not descriminating based on gender, sexual orientation, etc.

Incidentally, is anyone who showed up the last day in first year? All socs must have at least 1 first year student on the committee.

Anyway, here's the newer version.

U.C.C. SECULARISTS, ATHEISTS, AND SCEPTICS SOCIETY: Constitution

1. The name of the society shall be University College Cork Secularists, Atheists, and Sceptics Society.

2. The objectives of the society shall be:
Primarily, to provide an organised, coherent voice for secularist and non-religious students in University College Cork, bringing to the fore issues of concern to its membership body, and raising awareness of non-religious worldviews by open discussion of matters relating to the prevalence and impacts on such persons of religious belief (be they educational, political, cultural, scientific, or otherwise in nature); the social position of non-theists, and issues of particular interest to such persons which may periodically arise. The society aims to stimulate interest in - and encourage an understanding of - rationality, reason, and critical thought, as manifested in secular philosophy. Insofar as is practically possible, the society will endeavour to equip non-religious students with sound information on living a life free from organized faith in modern Irish society and to provide them with an educational support.

3. Membership shall be open to all students of University College Cork.

4. The society shall not discriminate in its actions against any person on the basis of gender, age, sexual orientation, religious views, ethnicity, social status, political views, or any other grounds.

5. Students shall be considered members of the society – and so have the right to vote in society elections – if they have registered with the Honorary Secretary of the society and attended at least 2 meetings during the session.

6. Members shall only be entitled to stand in committee elections if they have attended at least 5 meetings during the session.

7. The affairs of the Society shall be under the control of a Committee which shall include the Auditor, the Honorary Secretary, the Honorary Treasurer, the Public Relations Officer, and at least one first year student. The Auditor shall be entitled to make rulings and to take steps towards the proper conduct of meetings.

8. The Committee shall meet at least once every two weeks during term. A quorum shall be one half plus one of the full committee.

9. An Extraordinary General Meeting shall be called by the Honorary Secretary at the request of the Committee, or of one-sixth of the members of the Society.

10. The Annual General Meeting of the Society - advertised at least one full week in advance - shall be held in the second term. The Agenda shall include Minutes, Auditor’s Report, Secretary's Report, Financial Report, and the election of Officers and Committee. The Constitution may only be changed at the A.G.M., and a two-thirds majority vote is required to do so.

11. This constitution may be replaced or amended by a motion passed by a qualified majority of members at a meeting of the society. At least two weeks notice must be given if such a motion is to be proposed.