Other (please specify in thread)
7%

Total votes: 14
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

UCC Atheist soc - picking a name

Post by adamd164 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:46 am

Please comment here if you have an idea for a name or want to recommend another idea (even if you don't intend joining it - the more input the better!).

It's important that a name be in place when collecting signatures next week; technically people have to know what they're signing up for.

UCC Atheists would be ideal, but may not pass the socs guild.

UCC Secularists and Skeptics is a nice title in my opinion, but it leaves out the Atheism bit.

these have also been suggested:

UCC Secularists, Atheists, and Skeptics?

UCC Atheist Union Society?

UCC Atheist Cultural Society?
pantsheadmagee

Re: UCC Atheist soc - picking a name

Post by pantsheadmagee » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:00 pm

I like "Secularists, Atheists, and Skeptics"- and not just because we'll then be able to be called UCC SASS!
I like the name because, firstly, it incorporates atheism, which is, of course, what we're about. However, having the 'secularists' and 'skeptics' also included indicates that the society isn't just for 'hardcore' atheists, but is also open to people who may not have such definite views, but who are open to learning more. And, of course, getting the 'secular' in there allows for alliances with other groups/individuals who, regardless of personal beliefs, advocate the removal of religion and superstition from public life.

(also, Adam, if we call it UCC Secularists and Skeptics we'll be the UCC SS. And I'd give the religious lot about 0.3 seconds to start using that one against us! Whereas if we put in the 'atheist', we'll be the UCC SASS, which works far better for publicity.)
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:57 pm

I think I like the SASS thing too :)
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by adamd164 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:08 pm

Okay - SASS it is then! :lol:
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:27 pm

Not sure if being a member of UCCSASS would entice membership.
What would be wrong with UCC Atheist Society.

Here are a few Universities' Atheist Soc.
Student groups UK

Liverpool Atheist Society (ULAS)
Southampton University Atheist Society
Cambridge University Atheist and Agnostic Society Very good site.

American Uni

I like this one.
Students For a Nonreligious Ethos (SANE)-Berkeley SANE *****
UCC SANE? As I am no longer in UCC these are just my suggestions.
Atheist Ireland Youtube
HOME RULE not ROME RULE
If I'm your mission shepherd, best give it up, your welcome on my boat..god aren't. -firefly
Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies-links to local clubs & news
pantsheadmagee

Post by pantsheadmagee » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:39 pm

Zero- I think that we'd have a lot of trouble getting the society set up if we just called it the "UCC Atheist Society", because, technically, religious societies aren't allowed in UCC. Now, I know that we're anything but religious, but given that we are a group based on a very particular viewpoint on religion, we will be viewed as a religious group.

So, we have to get around that. Other groups have done this relatively easily- instead of having a Christian, Muslim, Pagan or Baha'i society, there's the Christian Union, Muslim Cultural, FECC & Pagan (FECC stands for.. Folklore...something something something..), and Baha'i Cultural Societies.

Now, as atheists, we don't exactly have a culture in common- herding cats, anyone? So we have to get around the "no religious societies" rule another way. Hence, putting in the skeptic and secular bits.

The other thing that is very important, is that (for the moment at least) we make sure that we're not coming off as arrogant. While something like SANE would be a lot of fun, it also implies that theists are, well, insane. Now, while that may or may not be the case, the fact is that if we want to set up the society, we do have to get past the Societies' Guild. Which is likely to have religious people on it. Who might be a bit twitchy about being called, er, insane.

Personally, I like SASS because it gets around the no-religious-societies rule, and it's fun and just a little bit self-deprecating*, which always goes down well.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:00 pm

can a bloke have sass?

ucc doesn't allow religious societies?
test
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:05 pm

He can if he wants to. In fact, its to be devoutly hoped so.
It means: Impertinent, impudent, disrespectful speech; back talk.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Jennie

Post by Jennie » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:57 pm

My vote went to SASS too :D I quite like it.

Although UCC Atheists may seem like the most obvious option, SASS is the best option because of the difficulties that Adam has outlined.
Where words fail - music speaks
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:14 am

pantsheadmagee wrote:Zero- I think that we'd have a lot of trouble getting the society set up if we just called it the "UCC Atheist Society", because, technically, religious societies aren't allowed in UCC.

What's UCC Christian Union Society
"The UCC Christian Union has existed in it's present form since 1987 when it became an official society within the University College Cork. The purpose of the society, as stated in our constitution is, 'to bear witness to Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour"

I do realise that a low key name will not raise red flags, I do know that the church does have its huge clown's-foot in the door, there's a chaplin
EOR
Atheist Ireland Youtube
HOME RULE not ROME RULE
If I'm your mission shepherd, best give it up, your welcome on my boat..god aren't. -firefly
Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies-links to local clubs & news