UCC Express Student Paper Article

IrishAndroid
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

UCC Express Student Paper Article

Post by IrishAndroid » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:13 pm

On Wednesday 28th January the Express, UCC's student newspaper, published an article on the formation of the UCC Secularists, Atheists, and Sceptics Society. At Adam's request I've scanned and uploaded the article.

JH
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: UCC Express Student Paper Article

Post by JH » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:48 pm

Great article. Congrats to UCC SASS! 8)
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:49 pm

Fantastic - Well done.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:12 am

A great write-up! Excellent work, guys.

But Adam, is that you? :shock: My how you've aged in the last week :mrgreen:
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:08 am

off topic but check out this http://www.indymedia.ie/article/90875 what are the soc guild up to. who are they
test
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by adamd164 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:24 pm

I'm very sad to hear that.

Just want to make it clear though in case there's any confusion: that's not us, has nothing to do with us. I did not even know that society was submitting a proposal.

I am personally disappointed that it's been rejected, but the UCC SASS group has NOT been rejected.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:44 pm

Well done !!!
Mr. Mercurial

Post by Mr. Mercurial » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:16 am

Is there any way for us to somehow support the cause of the would-be pro-choice society?

I am personally fairly neutral on the topic of abortion itself, but in the interests of intellectual honesty and open debate about what is often an issue charged with silly religion-based arguments it seems as though we ought to support this kind of thing in whatever small way we can.
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by adamd164 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:25 pm

Mr. Mercurial wrote:Is there any way for us to somehow support the cause of the would-be pro-choice society?

I am personally fairly neutral on the topic of abortion itself, but in the interests of intellectual honesty and open debate about what is often an issue charged with silly religion-based arguments it seems as though we ought to support this kind of thing in whatever small way we can.

I agree completely, and I think we should definitely have discussions on it, the same we we can have discussions on ALL of the effects religion has on society.

I'm just wary of coming across as a wing of the pro-choice campaign while we're trying to push the soc through.

I think that instead of continuing to press for a soc that's never gonna be approved (clearly the socs guild won't back down), they should support our secular one and tackle it that way, along with the education system / stem-cell research / the constitution / same-sex marriage, etc, etc, etc. Because our message is clear: we want complete secularisation.
Jennie

Post by Jennie » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:18 pm

adamd164 wrote:I'm just wary of coming across as a wing of the pro-choice campaign while we're trying to push the soc through.

I agree with Adam on this one. We can't show our support for a would-be pro-choice soc because SASS isn't constitutionally pro-choice, even if the majority of our membership is likely to be that way inclined. One of our main objectives is secularism and pro-life secularists come under our umbrella.

We can hold debates on it of course but not officially show our support...... especially, as Adam said, while we're endeavouring to get approved ourselves.
Where words fail - music speaks