Humainst Society of UCD

chocolatesauce

Humainst Society of UCD

Post by chocolatesauce » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:16 am

There is a very good chance this will be a real society by tomorrow. Two years ago I lodged the application for the then Atheist and Agnostic society (AA meetings anyone? I changed the name to humanist so as to offer a broader scope and not to alienate non-militants and the undecided.), but got snowed in with work and also had a medical problem which caused me to put it on hold. Two days ago I got a call from the societies office to tell me there was a meeting this Thursday to discuss applications, and was I still interested? Well, I'm now in year 3 of 5 and I have a lot of time on my hands, being a part time chemistry major, so I said yes.

I've got the signatures, the mission statement, the constitution, the plan of action and the meeting with the board, who last time said they would support my application. If anyone would like to talk, or if you're in UCD and want to meet me and get involved (you'd be most welcome), my email is 06062113@ucdconnect.ie
IrishAndroid
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Humainst Society of UCD

Post by IrishAndroid » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:12 pm

I'm not in UCD but I'd like to wish you the best of luck with this. Having helped set up a society, the UCC Atheists, I know it can be a lot of work. Just ask our auditor adamd164 :lol:.

You seem to be well prepared so I don't see why they would reject you. We did get some resistance but if you stick it out it'll be hard for them to ignore you.

As for the name, originally we were to be called the UCC Secularists, Atheists, and Skeptics but the Societies Guild felt it was too broad. I hope you don't run into similar problems. Atheist and Agnostic Society would have been fine in my opinion.

Tell us how it turns out. :D
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by adamd164 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:34 pm

Just a word about nomenclature...

The primary reasons we opted away from Humanists were (a) the ambiguity of the term, and (b) the fact that we felt it would be limiting event-wise.

There are a million and one inferences to be taken from "Humanism", a large number of brands and subsets, only one of which - Secular Humanism - we felt was actually in accordance with any of our aims and objectives -- and even at that it's not explicity non-religious, which makes it limiting in terms of potential events (i.e. ones with a specifically atheistic core to them).

But whatever the name, best of luck with it.

Can I ask if you've had contact with these people? I see that they held a meeting about it last month.
chocolatesauce

Post by chocolatesauce » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:36 pm

I have heard of at least two other individuals trying to get a society going, but couldn't find them. Thanks for the link, I'll get in touch.

I balanced the humanist name with the contents of the mission statement, which is 60% Amsterdam declaration, 20% Skeptic, 20% Hitchens. Of course, I don't regard it is my society to be run my way, I regard it as everyone's, and we can change it as we see fit. The hard part is getting it up and running, and I'll happily accept all the help that is offered.

It is for this reason that I chose the softer term of humanism. I'm a hard-liner of a very high order, but I accept that the majority of atheists aren't, and I want the society to appeal to the largest possible number. Until such a time as we have actual members, I think it should be...like a stem cell, rather than my personal jihad.
chocolatesauce

Post by chocolatesauce » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:27 pm

Good news everyone! It was approved. I was given quite a grilling about one passage of the mission statement in particular which was openly anti-theistic (though it was civil and not hateful), so I'm glad I took the softer line. They also mentioned they had had some other "tougher speaking" applicants.

Regardless, the hard part is over. Now it needs to be implemented. We've got until September to organise properly.

Suggestions for events are most welcome.
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by adamd164 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:02 pm

Congrats!

Mr. Mercurial on the forum will be up in UCD next year I think and he said he's interested in getting involved with a soc.
IrishAndroid
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by IrishAndroid » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:37 pm

Good work.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:42 am

chocolatesauce wrote:Good news everyone! It was approved. I was given quite a grilling about one passage of the mission statement in particular which was openly anti-theistic (though it was civil and not hateful), so I'm glad I took the softer line. They also mentioned they had had some other "tougher speaking" applicants.

and what are those individuals going to do now?
test
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:31 pm

Is there a link to your website also do you have a youtube account ?
Atheist Ireland Youtube
HOME RULE not ROME RULE
If I'm your mission shepherd, best give it up, your welcome on my boat..god aren't. -firefly
Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies-links to local clubs & news
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:04 am

Fair play chocolatesauce.

Let us know when you have a website or Facebook page up and running so we can support you and get the word out!