DIT Atheist society

Alan

DIT Atheist society

Post by Alan » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:54 pm

Hi would any DIT students be interested in helping me set up an atheist society. I believe it is about time we had one. I would need some help though and If I receive enough interest and there would be some other DIT students willing to help then we could have something up and running for this year. Without some help though nothing can happen.
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: DIT Atheist society

Post by Bik » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:59 pm

I believe UCC have a pretty active atheist society. If you get enough interest from DIT students perhaps you can ask advice from the UCC posse (I'm using student speak :D ) about how to get things started.
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by dugges » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:01 pm

I've been helping a few guys from Sligo get a society started in the IT.
Do you have Skype Alan? If so you can PM me and we could touch base with the guys in Sligo.

So far the Facebook has already been set up.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/gro ... 514&ref=ts

Do you already know a few non-theists in the college or atheist friends to help you get the ball rolling?
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams
IrishAndroid
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by IrishAndroid » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:38 pm

Bik wrote:I believe UCC have a pretty active atheist society. If you get enough interest from DIT students perhaps you can ask advice from the UCC posse (I'm using student speak :D ) about how to get things started.
This is true. You can contact them for ideas/suggestions/tips at atheist[at]uccsocieties.ie.
dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by dugges » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:06 pm

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:42 pm

Welcome to the forum Alan – Nice to see someone all fired up and ready to go.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:53 am

Just as a parallel read to this thread, I think AL is the same poster who made the post on boards here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthre ... 2056003245

And I directed him over here. There is some interest over there too. I would say with a small push and a bit of zeal it could be quite successful in DIT.

The best first step would be if someone in DIT ask what the procedures are for setting up a society. For example on the thread linked here someone mentioned how DCU have a minimum number of signatures of people who want to join it which you need to achieve first.
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:36 pm

nozzferrahhtoo wrote: The best first step would be if someone in DIT ask what the procedures are for setting up a society. For example on the thread linked here someone mentioned how DCU have a minimum number of signatures of people who want to join it which you need to achieve first.
I know in TCD you need 100 signatures but it doesn't have to be a signature of intent to join, just signatures of either staff or students that the support the notion i.e. it would be very difficult to setup a Nazi party for instance as you might not get 100 people wanting to see such a society. I thought about setting one up in TCD but it's a lot of work and would be my final year. If anyone started one here I'd help but I don't know about running the thing myself.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:24 pm

"Dev wants Nazi party in TCD - evil atheists show true colours "
Dev wrote: it would be very difficult to set up a Nazi party for instance as you might not get 100 people wanting to see such a society. I thought about setting one up in TCD but it's a lot of work.
Hows that for a bit of creationist style quote mining :)
والقس هو مجنون
hecfran

DIT and TCD

Post by hecfran » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:44 pm

Hi there,
I'm one of the students in TCD, who is trying to set up an atheist society.
We are also using Atheist Ireland Forum, so if there is anything we can do to help you let us know.