Trinity Atheist Society

Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Trinity Atheist Society

Post by Dev » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:40 pm

I had a mate telling me today that there was a guy going around campus asking for signatures to create an Atheist society. There is a reasonable chance someone here knows something about it. I know one person who would also be willing to contribute actively and I've seen two people on AI who are also enrolled in the college who probably would at the very least wish to be members.

I've contacted Emma in the CSC (central societies committee) for any information regarding this.

If you would like to appraised on this situation just mention so here.
jadelicosner89

Re: Trinity Atheist Society

Post by jadelicosner89 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:29 am

yeah so where exactly is this signature campaign?? let me contribute mine too.. thanks.. :mrgreen:
spam spam spam spam
Davo

Post by Davo » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:52 am

Kinda on topic, you might be interested in this type of situation born out of the recent global atheist convention in Australia :

http://freethoughtalliance.org.au

A coalition of of atheist, humanist, skeptic and secular campus groups is a great way to bring together the like minded and also help propagate other groups on other campus via mutual aid. I'm sure there would be a lot of cross-pollination of members of these types of groups, if something is going to happen be sure to hook in with others similar.

Is there much going on with regard atheist university groups in Ireland in general?
An explanation of Logical Fallacies : http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies ----- ferox deo vacuus vinco
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:47 am

The CSC have refused permission to set up an atheist society in TCD but it seems there may have been some level of confusion that we are hoping to sort out. Michael Nugent is debating in the Phil on Thursday if you'd like to meet up and discuss it afterwards.

Hopefully Hector, the guy making the application, will be there. He's looking for a direction (and possible activieties) for the atheist soc as the CSC turned him down on the grounds that the Theological and Metaphysical socs cover the area well enough and that there didn't seem to be enough support or interest from the general student body (possibly too many signatures collected from members of the Theological Society for "a stand-alone society".
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:05 pm

Dev wrote:I've contacted Emma in the CSC (central societies committee) for any information regarding this. If you would like to appraised on this situation just mention so here.
I'd like to hear the reply.

Hector is hoping to hold an AGM in TCD on Weds 24th. He'll need suggestions for the aims of the soc, how it will contribute to college life in an ongoing way. I think the exact parametres and goals of the group will be very important to getting a second shot at it. I also think a small committee, however informal, will need to be put in place going on this http://cscgrants.com/new_society.html. Once the members can show the aims are not covered by other socs, that there is interest from joining members and that the group has a good sense of its own purpose then I reckon there's a good chance. I think getting Ivana Bacik involved in some way is very important for obvious reasons. If she'll put her name to it, it will stand a better chance.

As for active atheist groups in universities the UCC Atheists are playing a blinder as are the UCD Humanists. There are people trying to set up in DCU at the moment too with a small society in NUI Maynooth. There's a new atheist society in Sligo Institute called SIN (Sligo Infidel Network) set up by Tulip1 and Dugges. Sorry if I missed anyone...
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:20 pm

Emma,
I heard that someone was looking for signatures in creating a Trinity Atheist society. I'd like to get involved but I have no idea what the name of the guy is.
Is it possible you could refer this email to him or pass his contact info to me.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Best Regards,
_____
We have heard nothing about this society. That is not to say that someone is not looking to set one up but they have not been in touch with the CSC yet.

Emma
Emails are dated 28th and 29th of September respectively.

Can you pass me Hectors contact details by any chance Ciaran? You can pm me them if needs be.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:44 pm

PM'd
neddam

Post by neddam » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:48 am

I cant believe the soc was turned down. Theres a falun dafa society, a jewish society, a christian union and a muslim student association. Theres definitely a need for a society promoting rationalism.

The metafizz and the theological society aren't necessarily critical of religion.

Anyway, ill be at the phil debate on thursday, hope to see some of you there.

Anto
hector

Post by hector » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:07 am

Hi every one, I'm Hector, the guy who collect the signatures, (Atheist and Humanist society)
we have around 120 signatures. (only 100 signatures were required)
I hear that Trinity already reject to recognize an atheist society two years ago.

the email said:
``not granted recognition. It was felt that these areas of interest were sufficiently covered by the activities of other societies - the Metaphysical and the Theological societies. It was also felt that there is not sufficient interest displayed by the student body as evinced by the signing sheet to justify the existence of a stand alone society.''

So I decided to call the AGM for next Wednesday 24 at 3pm at the hall of the arts building.

It's interesting that students of theology were very supportive.
Even the priest seems to like it: in February 24,2009, Trinity News publish an article about UCC atheist society, where Trinity Chaplain Revd Darren Mc Callig, said `I welcome the establishment of such a society. As far as I'm concerned the more informed debate we can have on these issues the better'.

Thanks to every one how is helping to create the society in trinity.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:29 pm

hector ggod luck with it and keep us informed!
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.