Anyone have any advice on getting into politics?

Discuss Irish and International politics
CelticAtheist

Post by CelticAtheist » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:36 pm

Lads, it's my intention to get involved (heavily) in politics.
I'm of the age where I can now begin to do so.

However, I am not sure which party I wish to join yet.
Labour is my natural choice, I have some family in Fianna Fail, and I have contacts in Fine Gael....

Why?
Well, talk of this new Atheist Association has sparked a brainstorm of possibilities in my mind. While forming an interest group is a very good idea, I feel there is also a need for us to get directly involved in party politics via the currently existing parties.

FXR

Post by FXR » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:59 pm

CelticAtheist wrote:Lads, it's my intention to get involved (heavily) in politics.

Labour is my natural choice, I have some family in Fianna Fail, and I have contacts in Fine Gael....

Why?
Well, talk of this new Atheist Association has sparked a brainstorm of possibilities in my mind. While forming an interest group is a very good idea, I feel there is also a need for us to get directly involved in party politics via the currently existing parties.

Don't.

Party politics chews up idealists and shits out compromisers.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
CelticAtheist

Post by CelticAtheist » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:07 pm

FXR wrote:
CelticAtheist wrote:Lads, it's my intention to get involved (heavily) in politics.

Why?

Don't.
Party politics chews up idealists and shits out compromisers.
Compromise is the basis of politics, so duh.

Getting something done by compromise is a lot better than getting nothing done via idealism.

With the association agitating outside, and some of us working inside, there is a much greater chance of getting something done in comparison to just one method.
Last edited by CelticAtheist on Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:19 pm

I'm in the Labour Party and I suggest, if you do decide to join Labour, you join your local branch. (where is this btw)

See http://www.labour.ie
Last edited by ctr on Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
FXR

Post by FXR » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:20 pm

CelticAtheist wrote:

Getting someone done by compromise is a lot better than getting nothing done via idealism.

With the association agitating outside, and some of us working inside, there is a much greater chance of getting something done in comparison to just one method.
People outside politics have a lot more influence on it then the people in it.

But I like the idea of having agents on the inside!
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
CelticAtheist

Post by CelticAtheist » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:20 pm

ctr wrote:I'm in Labour and I suggest, if you do decide to join Labour, you join your local branch. (where is this btw)

See http://www.labour.ie
My elderly grandmother would be thrilled...
Most of my family are big Labour people (except a few dissenters in FF).
FXR wrote:
CelticAtheist wrote:

Getting someone done by compromise is a lot better than getting nothing done via idealism.

People outside politics have a lot more influence on it then the people in it.
But I like the idea of having agents on the inside!
That is indeed the idea.
I'm heavily interested in that sort of thing anyway, so why not?
FXR

Post by FXR » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:11 pm

CelticAtheist wrote:
That is indeed the idea.
I was at a meeting with some people a few years ago who were talking about setting up a new political party. There was more than enough money there to back the idea but in the end it was a nonrunner.

However I still think that with the money and the right tactics it would be possible to launch a new and successful political party. On the other hand most people I know just bribe the buggers. It's a lot handier than knocking on doors and kissing jammy babys.
CelticAtheist

Post by CelticAtheist » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:43 pm

FXR wrote:
CelticAtheist wrote:
That is indeed the idea.
I was at a meeting with some people a few years ago who were talking about setting up a new political party. There was more than enough money there to back the idea but in the end it was a nonrunner.

However I still think that with the money and the right tactics it would be possible to launch a new and successful political party. On the other hand most people I know just bribe the buggers. It's a lot handier than knocking on doors and kissing jammy babys.
To be honest, unless by some miracle we got the non-voters on side, I don't think a new party is a good idea without massive financial backing.

Besides, our ideas on other parts of government are far too diverse.
Just look at our Lisbon thread....
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:29 am

CelticAtheist wrote:Compromise is the basis of politics, so duh.
Well since you asked for advice Id say if you are going into public politics that my first bit of advice for you is raise yourself about THIS level of discourse. :) Openly arrogant condescending insults like the above will not get you too far at all. :D

Then again I have to say I like the idea of somone walking up to some of our politicians live on television and saying "Well that policy was rubbish, like DUH man really"
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:23 pm

party politics isn't the be all and end all, you should just look around your neighbourhood for an issues, or issue that affects you and start there you don't need to go to party yet.
test