Anyone have any advice on getting into politics?

Discuss Irish and International politics
Alexis

Post by Alexis » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:04 am

CelticAtheist wrote:Lads, it's my intention to get involved (heavily) in politics.
I'm of the age where I can now begin to do so.
What age are you? 40, 50 - a 1,000 years of age?

FYI, the only people who make REAL changes in society (for the betterment of the masses) are the anonymous people, the 'Unsung Heroes'.

Politicians are an incestuous breed of parasitic worms who do no good for humanity, but who like to believe they are the 'Saviours of Humanity'. They're not much different from the Pope and other religious zealots. Its what's known as "Delusions of Grandeur".

Go home and take care of any children you may have.
CelticAtheist

Post by CelticAtheist » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:30 am

Alexis wrote:
CelticAtheist wrote:Lads, it's my intention to get involved (heavily) in politics.
I'm of the age where I can now begin to do so.
What age are you? 40, 50 - a 1,000 years of age?

FYI, the only people who make REAL changes in society (for the betterment of the masses) are the anonymous people, the 'Unsung Heroes'.

Politicians are an incestuous breed of parasitic worms who do no good for humanity, but who like to believe they are the 'Saviours of Humanity'. They're not much different from the Pope and other religious zealots. Its what's known as "Delusions of Grandeur".

Go home and take care of any children you may have.
No, I'm young......

Are you some sort of anarchist?
FXR

Post by FXR » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:56 am

Thanks CA, I nearly fell off the chair laughing when I read that. :lol:
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
CelticAtheist

Post by CelticAtheist » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:59 pm

FXR wrote:
Thanks CA, I nearly fell off the chair laughing when I read that. :lol:
*bows*
Alexis

Post by Alexis » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:05 am

CelticAtheist wrote:
Yes I am. How could you tell :!:

Pssst (whisper in your ear) Are you happy in Irish society?
CelticAtheist

Post by CelticAtheist » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:31 pm

Alexis wrote:
CelticAtheist wrote:
Yes I am. How could you tell :!:

Pssst (whisper in your ear) Are you happy in Irish society?
No, but I like a secure income in which I can vote to increase my wages.
:D
Yazar

Post by Yazar » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:28 am

What are your aims?

To be Taoiseach? To run the country? To lead a party? To make Irish people's lives better? To create a completely secular country? To make a fundamental difference for the man on the street? To make money?

Decide what you want to do first. Then figure out what party or organisation can help you achieve your aims in the best possible way. Join said party or organisation and make it your own.

In the meantime, stand up for yourself without being rude, learn to listen to bores and rants without falling asleep, try to be interested in the person you're talking to, compromise without selling yourself, get on with the boss without licking ass and above all lead by example.

Be prepared to be hated, to not be trusted, to be abused, to be wined and dined by people who want you in their debt, to work long hours, to have to rationalise every decision and action repeatedly, to be debated with at every turn, to have your passion for your cause tested, to not be thanked. And to shake sweaty hands and kiss smelly babies.

Sounds like fun :roll:

Good luck

Cathy
CelticAtheist

Post by CelticAtheist » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:39 pm

Yazar wrote:What are your aims?

To be Taoiseach? To run the country? To lead a party? To make Irish people's lives better? To create a completely secular country? To make a fundamental difference for the man on the street? To make money?

Decide what you want to do first. Then figure out what party or organisation can help you achieve your aims in the best possible way. Join said party or organisation and make it your own.

In the meantime, stand up for yourself without being rude, learn to listen to bores and rants without falling asleep, try to be interested in the person you're talking to, compromise without selling yourself, get on with the boss without licking ass and above all lead by example.

Be prepared to be hated, to not be trusted, to be abused, to be wined and dined by people who want you in their debt, to work long hours, to have to rationalise every decision and action repeatedly, to be debated with at every turn, to have your passion for your cause tested, to not be thanked. And to shake sweaty hands and kiss smelly babies.

Sounds like fun :roll:

Good luck

Cathy
I already have my aims sorted out, I am just smart enough not to reveal them until opportune moments.

Taoiseach, yes, that would be great, except I don't think the conservatives that get such a position would elect me their leader under any circumstances.

Secular country + Irish lives made better + fundamental difference to the man on the street + TD wages = Happy Celtic Atheist.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:46 pm

Start the Secular Party of Ireland. I'll start sorting through my citizenship documents just so I can vote for you.
Yazar

Post by Yazar » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:55 pm

CelticAtheist wrote:
Taoiseach, yes, that would be great, except I don't think the conservatives that get such a position would elect me their leader under any circumstances.

Secular country + Irish lives made better + fundamental difference to the man on the street + TD wages = Happy Celtic Atheist.
Sounds like the you need to figure out how to change those circumstances :lol:

Until Ireland figures out how to get expats to vote (in which case the country would be run from the outside!) I'm afraid I can't do much from here.