Shopping in the north

Discuss Irish and International politics

Do you agree with the Irish governments view that shopping in the north is unpatriotic

Yes
12%
Don't care
15%
No
73%

Total votes: 33
TomBarry

Shopping in the north

Post by TomBarry » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:39 am

Much has been made recently of shoppers in the Republic piling across the border for cheaper deals in the north. I'd be interested to hear peoples views on whether they agree or not, with the Dublin governments view that this is unpatriotic
"No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says; he is always convinced that it says what he means." - George Bernard Shaw
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:13 am

Of course it isn't.
I only wish more people had done it during the Tiger years in protest at being fleeced by a greedy herd of merchants who were prepared to screw every last cent out of the consumer that they could possibly get away with.

This isn't unpatriotic. Its called coming to your senses.
Alexis

Re: Shopping in the north

Post by Alexis » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:07 am

TomBarry wrote:Much has been made recently of shoppers in the Republic piling across the border for cheaper deals in the north. I'd be interested to hear peoples views on whether they agree or not, with the Dublin governments view that this is unpatriotic
Who in their right mind would want to be loyal (patriotic) to a country that is run by a bunch of gurriers. This is like asking people to support a ghetto in the control of mafiosa drug-pushers!

I'm Irish and I happen to like the country of my birth, but if its been taken over by a bunch of perverted psychoes, I don't want to have anything to do with it anymore.

I'm off to Newry tomorrow to do my christmas shopping :lol:
FXR

Re: Shopping in the north

Post by FXR » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:43 am

TomBarry wrote:Much has been made recently of shoppers in the Republic piling across the border for cheaper deals in the north. I'd be interested to hear peoples views on whether they agree or not, with the Dublin governments view that this is unpatriotic
If shopping in the North is unpatriotic then where does that leave gulping down the countrys money like it was growing on trees. How unpatriotic is it to kow tow to a foreign states interests to the detriment of this country when this is where you're paid to represent.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:36 am

For years they've been telling us to vote with our feet. Now that we are they call it unpatriotic.

Cowan needs to get his shit together. Clearly we have a taxation system that is at odds with that in the north. We don't have to rely so heavily on hidden taxes like VAT which is already ridiculously high in this country. If he had a brain in his head he'd do something like this...

Cut VAT down to about 10%
Increase Petrol excise to UK levels in order to make up for it
Provide tax credits to the transport industry (so that extra fuel costs don't show up on our shopping bill)

This would allow the economy to be stimulated and stop people going out of their way to shop in the north.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:45 am

I was in Belfast last weekend. It cost me 38 euro in petrol and toll charges and I got that money back with my first purchase.

The euro exchange rate being offered by British boutiques here in the republic is criminal. ie. I bought a jumper that was marked at £45 and the marked euro price was €70. Because I payed in sterling it cost me €54.

Also, pretty much everything I bought was at least 20% off the marked price. Something you don't often see here.

I understand that doing business is more expensive here but that doesn't make up for all of the variables. I'd encourage anyone to stick two fingers up at rip off retailers. They deserve a disasterous christmas if their only response is going to whinge that we're being unpatriotic. They obviously need to learn what it's like to operate in a free market.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:17 am

This is on the cover of the Irish Times this morning.

DollarLama
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by DollarLama » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:04 pm

If shopping up north is unpatriotic, what's shopping on the internet? Internationalist?
Wikipedia wrote:Proletarian internationalism is a Marxist social class theory whose concept is that members of the working class should act in solidarity towards working people in other countries on the basis of a common class interest, rather than following their respective national governments. Proletarian internationalism is summed up in the slogan, Workers of all countries, unite!, the last line of The Communist Manifesto.
:lol:

regards
DL
Yazar

Post by Yazar » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:24 pm

It would only be unpatriotic if all the shops in the south were fully Irish-owned. As it is most of the profits go outside of the country, other than the minimum the companies pay to local products and wages.

Even Dunnes was sold there a few weeks ago wasn't it?

Cathy
TomBarry

Post by TomBarry » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:47 pm

I'm glad to see you all disagree with the Government. If I lived anywhere near the border I would be the first to cross it to get a good deal and to say this is unpatriotic is ridiculous. More power to the consumer who has at least has a choice now of keeping household bills down. We've been fleeced for years and I've no pity for any business whinging at their loss of customers. Let them bring their prices down if they are worried

Fianna fail have some neck to suggest we shouldn't shop in the north. As far as they're history is concerned, the struggle for a united Ireland is what they were founded upon so to try to make consumers guilty by doing their business on an all Ireland basis goes against their own stated long term aims

Sympathy for Cowen & Co - ZERO
"No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says; he is always convinced that it says what he means." - George Bernard Shaw