Illegal to offend Muslims in Holland

Discuss Irish and International politics
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Cork
Contact:

Illegal to offend Muslims in Holland

Post by adamd164 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:59 pm

The latest chapter in the Islamisation of the West?
A Dutch court has ordered prosecutors to put a right-wing politician on trial for making anti-Islamic statements.

Freedom Party leader Geert Wilders made a controversial film last year equating Islam with violence and has likened the Koran to Adolf Hitler's Mein Kampf.

"In a democratic system, hate speech is considered so serious that it is in the general interest to... draw a clear line," the court in Amsterdam said.

Mr Wilders said the judgement was an "attack on the freedom of expression".

"Participation in the public debate has become a dangerous activity. If you give your opinion, you risk being prosecuted," he said.

Not only he, but all Dutch citizens opposed to the "Islamisation" of their country would be on trial, Mr Wilders warned.

"Who will stand up for our culture if I am silenced?" he added.

'Incitement'

The three judges said that they had weighed Mr Wilders's "one-sided generalisations" against his right to free speech, and ruled that he had gone beyond the normal leeway granted to politicians.

"The Amsterdam appeals court has ordered the prosecution of member of parliament Geert Wilders for inciting hatred and discrimination, based on comments by him in various media on Muslims and their beliefs," the court said in a statement.

"The court also considers appropriate criminal prosecution for insulting Muslim worshippers because of comparisons between Islam and Nazism made by Wilders," it added.

The court's ruling reverses a decision last year by the public prosecutor's office, which said Mr Wilders's comments had been made outside parliament as a contribution to the debate on Islam in Dutch society and that no criminal offence had been committed.

Prosecutors said on Wednesday that they could not appeal against the judgement and would open an investigation immediately.

Gerard Spong, a prominent lawyer who pushed for Mr Wilders's prosecution, welcomed the court's decision.

"This is a happy day for all followers of Islam who do not want to be tossed on the garbage dump of Nazism," he told reporters.

'Fascist book'

In March 2008, Mr Wilders posted a film about the Koran on the internet, prompting angry protests across the Muslim World.

The opening scenes of Fitna - a Koranic term sometimes translated as "strife" - show a copy of the holy book followed by footage of the bomb attacks on the US on 11 September 2001, London in July 2005 and Madrid in March 2004.

Pictures appearing to show Muslim demonstrators holding up placards saying "God bless Hitler" and "Freedom go to hell" also feature.

The film ends with the statement: "Stop Islamisation. Defend our freedom."

Dutch Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende said at the time that the film wrongly equated Islam with violence and served "no purpose other than to offend".

A year earlier, Mr Wilders described the Koran as a "fascist book" and called for it to be banned in "the same way we ban Mein Kampf", in a letter published in the De Volkskrant newspaper.

Mr Wilders has had police protection since Dutch director Theo Van Gogh was killed by a radical Islamist in 2004.

Correspondents say his Freedom Party (PVV), which has nine MPs in the lower house of parliament, has built its popularity largely by tapping into the fear and resentment of Muslim immigrants.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7842344.stm
lostexpectation
Posts: 1993
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:28 pm

Re: Illegal to offend Muslims in Holland

Post by lostexpectation » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:36 pm

that guy is fascist hate monger, he got what he wanted.
Last edited by lostexpectation on Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
test
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 929
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:23 am

Re: Illegal to offend Muslims in Holland

Post by ctr » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:54 pm

Very very true....but should his right to free speech be denied?
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Cork
Contact:

Re: Illegal to offend Muslims in Holland

Post by adamd164 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:04 pm

Of course it has. I do not agree with the man's politics; he preys on fear and hatred. That's not the issue here. He has been under police protection since he made that film last year because of Theo Van Gogh's cold-blooded murder -- and these are the shower on behalf of which the state was so willing to take "offence". It's an absolute disgrace.

Holland is embarrassing the EU. What are people actually allowed to say about religion without fear of being prosecuted? Where will they draw the line?
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 929
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:23 am

Re: Illegal to offend Muslims in Holland

Post by ctr » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:08 pm

adamd164 wrote:Of course it has. I do not agree with the man's politics; he preys on fear and hatred. That's not the issue here. He has been under police protection since he made that film last year because of Theo Van Gogh's cold-blooded murder -- and these are the shower on behalf of which the state was so willing to take "offence". It's an absolute disgrace.

Holland is embarrassing the EU. What are people actually allowed to say about religion without fear of being prosecuted? Where will they draw the line?
I tend to agree with you Adam, however, I would make exceptions for say the disabled.
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
lostexpectation
Posts: 1993
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:28 pm

Re: Illegal to offend Muslims in Holland

Post by lostexpectation » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:54 pm

hate speech isn't free speech, you obviously do agree with that guys politics, this isn't trial about being offensive its trial about hate speech, your just undermining freedom of speech from the get go with that title.

this is not trial for the murderers of theo van gogh either.
test
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Cork
Contact:

Re: Illegal to offend Muslims in Holland

Post by adamd164 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:46 pm

lostexpectation wrote:hate speech isn't free speech, you obviously do agree with that guys politics, this isn't trial about being offensive its trial about hate speech, your just undermining freedom of speech from the get go with that title.

this is not trial for the murderers of theo van gogh either.
I don't see how anything Wilders did or said has undermined anyone else's freedom. He has given his views on a religion that covers itself in hatred of others, suppression of ideas and subjugation of women.

Were you also in favour of David Irvine not being allowed to appear here last year because thugs threatened to kill him if he tried to air his bigoted views?
FXR
Posts: 3176
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:44 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Illegal to offend Muslims in Holland

Post by FXR » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:15 pm

First they gagged the Fachist and I said nothing.

Then they gagged.....
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
lostexpectation
Posts: 1993
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:28 pm

Re: Illegal to offend Muslims in Holland

Post by lostexpectation » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:35 pm

adamd164 wrote:
lostexpectation wrote:hate speech isn't free speech, you obviously do agree with that guys politics, this isn't trial about being offensive its trial about hate speech, your just undermining freedom of speech from the get go with that title.

this is not trial for the murderers of theo van gogh either.
I don't see how anything Wilders did or said has undermined anyone else's freedom. He has given his views on a religion that covers itself in hatred of others, suppression of ideas and subjugation of women.

Were you also in favour of David Irvine not being allowed to appear here last year because thugs threatened to kill him if he tried to air his bigoted views?
i think phil soc twats in ucg have invited him now, im not in favour of little twats inviting nutters to speak just to get attention
test
TomBarry
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:37 pm
Location: South Africa

Re: Illegal to offend Muslims in Holland

Post by TomBarry » Fri May 01, 2009 11:47 pm

[quote="adamd164"]
I don't see how anything Wilders did or said has undermined anyone else's freedom. He has given his views on a religion that covers itself in hatred of others, suppression of ideas and subjugation of women./quote]

I'd have to agree with you Adam. The following is an example of muslims taking offense because of a planned advertisment campaign placed by Tayside police, Scotland in 2008. The only reason the muslim community keeps keeps acting up over the slightest cause of offense, is due to the UK government agencies readily bending backwards to accommodate them, just like the situation in Holland with Geert Wilders

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/scotlan ... 4243889.jp
"No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says; he is always convinced that it says what he means." - George Bernard Shaw
Post Reply