David Norris for Irish President

Discuss Irish and International politics
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

David Norris for Irish President

Post by aZerogodist » Sun May 02, 2010 12:27 pm

I see on FaceBook David Norris for Irish President
I do like the way he speaks, and as think he would be more apt than the current one Mary-something, yes McAleese not that you ever hear much about her in the news or what she's doing for Ireland.

I don't know too much about David Norris, apart from the "partnership" bill.
I was wondering if anyone knew what his position is on:
1. The Blasphemy Law.
2. The Catholic Church with regards to the Education system, church/education seperation.
3. What belief does he follow.
-Tom
Atheist Ireland Youtube
HOME RULE not ROME RULE
If I'm your mission shepherd, best give it up, your welcome on my boat..god aren't. -firefly
Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies-links to local clubs & news
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: David Norris for Irish President

Post by chemicals » Sun May 02, 2010 2:46 pm

aZerogodist wrote:I don't know too much about David Norris, apart from the "partnership" bill.
I was wondering if anyone knew what his position is on:
1. The Blasphemy Law.- opposed it
2. The Catholic Church with regards to the Education system, church/education seperation. dunno but suspect he be for lesser RC control
3. What belief does he follow. Church of Ireland -attends Sunday service weekly
والقس هو مجنون
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Sun May 02, 2010 2:53 pm

I heard Bertie Ahern will probably be going for president. He'll get it as well. You just know the strategy:

Appear on late late show with a beaming smile as soon as the economic grassroots turn to a meadow. He'll be full of chatter and positivity and will appeal to the FF voters who have seem to have the memory of a goldfish. He'll accentuate his role in the peace process over the economic policies he's implemented; peppering us with terminology of "International financial crisis" and "moving Ireland forward".

He'll make contributions to the Times calling for change based on proven experience of leadership. He'll assert himself over other candidates and position himself as the natural safe choice.
Last edited by Dev on Sun May 02, 2010 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Sun May 02, 2010 3:05 pm

Dev wrote:will appeal to the FF voters who have seem to have the memory of a goldfish
:)
Yes very true and write another artistic/creative tax exempt book afterwards. “The money was just resting in my account”
Atheist Ireland Youtube
HOME RULE not ROME RULE
If I'm your mission shepherd, best give it up, your welcome on my boat..god aren't. -firefly
Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies-links to local clubs & news
Rev j.jones

Post by Rev j.jones » Sun May 02, 2010 3:51 pm

How about we abolish the redundant presidency and stop wasting money that we could better spend on other things.
"The Meek a'int gonna inherit shit"
"I've got a hell of a lot of weapons to fight! I got my claws, I got cutlasses, I got guns, I got dynamite, I got a hell of a lot of fight! I will fight!" Rev Jones cured religion for 950 americans.
HylandPaddy

Post by HylandPaddy » Sun May 02, 2010 6:10 pm

aZerogodist wrote:I don't know too much about David Norris, apart from the "partnership" bill.
He also got homosexuality decriminalised in 1993. :shock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norris_v._Ireland
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-Carl Sagan
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Sun May 02, 2010 7:11 pm

HylandPaddy wrote:
He also got homosexuality decriminalised in 1993. :shock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norris_v._Ireland
He is gay himself. I would love the thought of a openly gay president it would send a great signal to both the Irish and the rest of the world that we really are changing and disavowing ourselves of our old conservative ways. Provided he's qualified and has sound policies and a good track record of course.

I'll be voting against Bertie for now so I'll see if Norris turns out to be okay before I vote for him. The whole regular religious thing does irk me a bit but who won't be religious in this election?

Why is it the Senate seems to have far better politicians than the Dáil? Maybe it's to do with the universities placing them there. Maybe.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Sun May 02, 2010 9:53 pm

I thought he was Jewish.
And he has stood up against the ethnic cleansing of the Palestinian terrritories by Israel, even visiting Gaza.
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Sun May 02, 2010 10:20 pm

Feardorcha wrote:I thought he was Jewish.
And he has stood up against the ethnic cleansing of the Palestinian terrritories by Israel, even visiting Gaza.
He's a prod. Fair play to him for having the balls to pick a side. I was reading his thoughts on cities and he said Jerusalem was one of his favorite cities.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Mon May 03, 2010 12:57 am

Feardorcha wrote:I thought he was Jewish.
His long term partner is Israeli and he visits out there a lot .
والقس هو مجنون