David Norris for Irish President

Discuss Irish and International politics
bipedalhumanoid

Re: David Norris for Irish President

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:45 am

Bik wrote:
bipedalhumanoid wrote:
Bik wrote:There are already enough loons in the Presidential race without adding Dana or Norris.
Yeah screw democracy.
FFS :roll:

Ok, why not have a free for all and allow every gobshite in the country to run? That'll show respect to the post of President.
No no, I like your idea better. Prevent one of the most popular potential candidates from even appearing on the ballot paper because, in your personal opinion, he is a loon. I think that's a great idea.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
funkyderek

Post by funkyderek » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:05 pm

Bik wrote:Ok, why not have a free for all and allow every gobshite in the country to run? That'll show respect to the post of President.
Indeed, why not? This is the case for TDs. Anybody can run, subject to paying a deposit. The deposit is returned if they receive a certain percentage of the vote. I can't see a good reason not to implement this for the presidency as well, with the proviso that the amount of the deposit be considerably more.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Image Image Image Image
Dr Raskolnikov
Location: "In the beginning there was the word, and the word was "word up biatch""

Post by Dr Raskolnikov » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:58 pm

funkyderek wrote:
Bik wrote:Ok, why not have a free for all and allow every gobshite in the country to run? That'll show respect to the post of President.
Indeed, why not? This is the case for TDs. Anybody can run, subject to paying a deposit. The deposit is returned if they receive a certain percentage of the vote. I can't see a good reason not to implement this for the presidency as well, with the proviso that the amount of the deposit be considerably more.
Too right, Funkmeister D, lest we forget:

Screaming Lord Sutch and the Monster Raving Loony Party

Unless anyone wants to argue that the UK is not a true parliamentary democracy, in which case, as you were...
Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins the movie by telling you how it ends. Well, I say there are some things we don't want to know. Important things. - Ned Flanders
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:08 pm

Well, he has 17 nominations now. :o
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:08 pm

It wasn't long ago that Norris was written off as someone who wouldn't be able to secure a nomination despite consistently polling as one of the most popular potential candidates.

He now has 18 TD/Senator nominations and 1 council. He has 1 TD willing and ready to nominate him if he gets his 19th. It's looking like Martin McAleese might nominate him if nobody else does.

On top of all that there are rumours of councils willing to nominate him if he can't get the 20 TD/Senator nominations.

All in all it's looking pretty good. This would make a pretty damn interesting movie.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:34 pm

The FG councillors have been released from their party line as HQ has realised that their candidate Gay Mitchell isn't going to win and Norris is the only one to stop McGuinness.
I suppose the thinking is that they can tolerate a gay President but not a Sinn Fein one.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:24 am

Feardorcha wrote:I suppose the thinking is that they can tolerate a gay President but not a Sinn Fein one.
Seems that's John Waters opinion
Http://irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion ... 76473.html
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:29 pm

I'm having a little David Norris got nominated party. So happy I am :mrgreen:
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:14 am

Norris is just telling Pat Kenny now that he is a devout Christian and goes to church every Sunday. He's going to give some reading from the Bible shortly. Looking forward to that!