David Norris for Irish President

Discuss Irish and International politics
Vae

Re: David Norris for Irish President

Post by Vae » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:04 pm

Dev wrote:It is a dying language and should be promoted at all levels including the government.
I have to disagree with this, mainly for the reason that promoting the language has been largely ineffective in doing anything in the past century or so that the government has been trying.

At the moment, most of the country's children are taught the Irish language in school. This sounds like quite the promotion, given that this is probably the biggest chunk of the 1.2 billion spent on promoting Irish annually. However, roughly 80,000 people or less; about 2% of the Republic's population, claim to be fluent in Irish (most of whom are living in the Gaeltacht regions, of course).

The current system of teaching the Irish language, from my experience as a secondary school student, is remarkably poor. No one that I know of has ever acquired English through copying down sentences word-by-word from a blackboard, or being dragged through lessons on where an 'e' or an 'i' should go and when. These things are picked up gradually through listening to the language casually and having the opportunity to improve your understanding of it through speaking it with others. In the 9+ years I have spent being tutored in the Irish tongue, I have perhaps been given an opportunity for genuine Irish conversation 4 times. You cannot possibly expect to pick up a language by treating it as a subject. Languages are learned, not studied.

I do agree that the language is something worth salvaging, and I would love to see it grow to become as equally used as English, but the methods used to promote it have done very little to improve the situation.
tony

Post by tony » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:28 pm

bipedalhumanoid wrote:I wish Norris would do more to defend himself. IMO if you want to run for President, the people have every right to know about your views on various topics including age of consent laws.
I agree, he needs to show some strength and get past this. Paddy Power has odds of 4/7 that he will not be nominated. He need to act fast as its all slipping away on him now.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:34 am

How is he on religion?
Would he take the oath?
Does he have views on compulsory religion?

I know where most of the other prospective candidates stand - with the Catholic Church - but can't recall DN ever speaking on the subject.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:15 pm

Did you hear Gay Mitchell on radio today? He's standing for "Christian democracy", a phrase he used more than once and he wants Ireland to get back to traditional values and "beliefs".
What on earth is Christian democracy? Would it be the democracy practised in the Catholic church and the Vatican - no votes for women or anyone else so.
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:54 pm

Would it be a good idea to write him a letter asking him to expand on what he means?

It may be nothing for us to worry about and used in the way the German CDs use it but...
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
Elodie

Post by Elodie » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:08 pm

bipedalhumanoid wrote:I wish Norris would do more to defend himself. IMO if you want to run for President, the people have every right to know about your views on various topics including age of consent laws.

I hope he can get through the smear attack, but I think he'd be better off if he stood up and stated his views on the issues being thrown at him.

Well like Karl Rove said "If you're explaining you're loosing"
BubbleWrap
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by BubbleWrap » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:55 pm

I prefer Fergus Finlay. He'd get my number one vote.
I'm going to start a revolution... er... if that's ok with everyone?
tony

Post by tony » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:07 pm

Gas article in Herald today. Pretty much expresses my sentiments.
http://www.herald.ie/opinion/david-norr ... 73761.html
David Norris gets right up people's noses and that's why he'd still get my vote... scandal or no scandal
Monday September 12 2011

I LOVE the way David Norris gets up people's noses. I think I love it more than I love the man himself and I love him so much that I don't particularly like him and I still love him.

I particularly love telling people that 'yes I would still vote for David Norris even if you showed me a photo of him sharing a bath tub with the entire Castro district of San Francisco dressed only in angel wings'. I don't care: he's my man.
tony

Post by tony » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:19 pm

What an asshole Finian McGrath. He withdraws his support for a senator of immense standing who looked for clemency for someone convicted of statutory rape and then gives his backing to a former terrorist with blood on his hands.What a hypocrite.
McGuinness secures backing of four Independent TDs
Sinn Féin's Martin McGuinness has won the support of four Independent TDs and can now enter the Presidential race.

Deputies Luke 'Ming' Flanagan, Finian McGrath, Michael Healy-Rae and Tom Fleming have all given their backing, and 17 Sinn Féin Oireachtas members are expected to do the same.
Speaking this evening, Dublin North Central TD Finian McGrath said he was happy to give Mr McGuinness the final push over the line.

"If Martin McGuinness is good enough for the DUP and the official unionists and good enough for Alan McBride, the victim of the Shankill road bomb, I think it's good enough for many people in the South. That would be my position," he said.
Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mcgu ... z1YFLctYaf
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:37 pm

We know Mitchell, O Cuiv, Dana, O Murchu are all uber-Catholics but does anyone know the views of the others on the blasphemy law, compulsory religious oaths and Catholic control of schools?
Should there be a list of questions for atheists to ask of candidates, as we had in the general election?
(I find the name-calling puerile - and inaccurate.)