Queen Elizabeth II to visit Ireland

Discuss Irish and International politics

Do you agree that Queen Elizabeth II should visit Ireland?

No
29%
Yes
29%
Don't care
43%

Total votes: 28
TomBarry

Queen Elizabeth II to visit Ireland

Post by TomBarry » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:01 am

According to Brian Cowen, there is now no obstacle to a state visit to Ireland from Queen Elizabeth.
Full story here, http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0623/politics.html

I can think of a few reasons not to welcome the head of the British monarchy here but maybe it's time to move on?
"No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says; he is always convinced that it says what he means." - George Bernard Shaw
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Queen Elizabeth II to visit Ireland

Post by Bik » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:51 am

The cost in security alone will run into the tens of millions, if Mrs Windsor herself or the British taxpayer were picking up the bill for her holiday then I wouldn't give a crap, as an EU citizen she has every right to visit here but if Cowen wants the Irish taxpayer to pick up the tab when at the same time they are introducing property taxes, water charges etc etc then he can think again.
Most Irish people will be apathetic to this visit while some will be downright hostile ( love Ulster parade anyone?), so why should we as Irish taxpayers be asked to foot the bill for Mrs Windsors trip?
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
inedifix

Post by inedifix » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:01 am

TomBarry wrote:I can think of a few reasons not to welcome the head of the British monarchy here but maybe it's time to move on?
Just couldn't resist "quoting" you, just to see the above preceded by the words: "Tom Barry wrote". Priceless :lol:

I have to agree with Bik. But on the other hand, it could be worth the expense for an in perpetuity video of eggs sailing over O'Connell Street and splattering all over her tiara.
“What we call chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized. What we call random is just patterns we can't decipher. What we can't understand we call nonsense. There is no free will. There are no variables. There is only the inevitable.” Chuck Palahniuk
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:11 am

I still remember the Love Ulster riots. I can't see the shinners being any better behaved than they were in 2006 can you? It could serve to set back the peace process or embarass the country. But the worst possible scenario is she is assasinated. Think of us poor Aussies. It's bad enough having an unelected head of state, but at least for now, it isn't the prince of piffle!
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:00 am

I agree that Mrs Battenburg (like the cake) is a far more benign presence than her son, who never ceases to do a little back-door meddling no matter what his official role is supposed to be limited to.

The one entertaining aspect of a visiting English queen will be to watch how many of the "we hate the English" mutterers* get swept away with Royal Fever & end up curtsying and fawning instead.

Most likely the ones who never express anti-English sentiments will be the ones most disinterested in a visiting monarch.

* By "we hate the English" mutterers I mean those who appear to be trained like Pavlov's dog to avow vaguely anti-English sentiments whenever the situation arises for fear of being thought un-Irish if they don't. These same people usually support English football clubs, watch English TV and buy from English chain stores without a trace of irony.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:50 am

Ygern wrote:* By "we hate the English" mutterers I mean those who appear to be trained like Pavlov's dog to avow vaguely anti-English sentiments whenever the situation arises for fear of being thought un-Irish if they don't. These same people usually support English football clubs, watch English TV and buy from English chain stores without a trace of irony.
*And avid reader of "The Sun" who probable knows only two words of Irish.

If she wants to come over as a tourist why not, it would be a better boost to promoting Irish hospitallity and tourism than any of the cronies have done so far, how much did it cost again for Queen Mary Harny to go on her "state visit" of New Zealand for paddies day.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:55 am

At least Mary Harney was elected.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:02 am

bipedalhumanoid wrote:At least Mary Harney was elected.
But elected as what?
-Aside if the people of England want to depose the monocy that's their choice.
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Bik » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:10 am

aZerogodist wrote: how much did it cost again for Queen Mary Harny to go on her "state visit" of New Zealand for paddies day.
I'm not sure the cost but it was borne in the most part by the Irish taxpayer, if the British taxpayer are going pay the costs of Mrs Windsors visit then I've no problem with her coming here but that won't be the case.
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by dugges » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:04 pm

On the grounds that she's a foreign head of State I would have no problem with her visiting.

However I'm on board with Bik, that it would be expensive in regards to security, but it would be the same for the US president.

Get the British to pay half the bill.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams