Queen Elizabeth II to visit Ireland

Discuss Irish and International politics

Do you agree that Queen Elizabeth II should visit Ireland?

No
8
29%
Yes
8
29%
Don't care
12
43%
 
Total votes: 28
lostexpectation
Posts: 1993
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:28 pm

Re: Queen Elizabeth II to visit Ireland

Post by lostexpectation » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:11 pm

cowen himself suggested that the completion of bloody sunday tribunal now allowed her to visit, but there are dozens of other uninvestigated killings in the north by her royal army and lots uninvestigated about operators from the republic, so by his standard it doesn't seem conditions have been met, when they have president then that person can come.
test
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 914
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:10 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Queen Elizabeth II to visit Ireland

Post by Dev » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:19 pm

As long as Ireland remains divided I'll object to an official visit from the head of the state of the UK. If she was to visit I wouldn't throw eggs or anything immature.
Bik wrote: I'm not sure the cost but it was borne in the most part by the Irish taxpayer, if the British taxpayer are going pay the costs of Mrs Windsors visit then I've no problem with her coming here but that won't be the case.
The queens visit will have a political outcome and not a financial one thus focus should be on politics and not the expense. I'm not saying we should ignore finances but I don't think we should base our decision on that alone.

Also if our nation officially invites a foreign dignitary we should be expected to cover the bill otherwise we don't invite. Since when does the invitee cover the bulk of the costs?
munsterdevil
Posts: 737
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:23 pm

Re: Queen Elizabeth II to visit Ireland

Post by munsterdevil » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:28 am

Bik wrote:
aZerogodist wrote: if the British taxpayer are going pay the costs of Mrs Windsors visit then I've no problem with her coming here but that won't be the case.
Are we going to se this excuse for when any head of state from around the globe wants to visit? Basically it's an attitude of "If you're not going to pay for everything you can't come here?"
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke
dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 577
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:34 pm
Location: Baile átha Cliath

Re: Queen Elizabeth II to visit Ireland

Post by dugges » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:50 am

munsterdevil wrote:
Bik wrote:
aZerogodist wrote: if the British taxpayer are going pay the costs of Mrs Windsors visit then I've no problem with her coming here but that won't be the case.
Are we going to se this excuse for when any head of state from around the globe wants to visit? Basically it's an attitude of "If you're not going to pay for everything you can't come here?"
Even if you have to have a day out with someone you don't like, it's courtesy to offer to pay for their food and drink.

Department of Foreign Affairs gets the budget for any state visit, and they wine and dine any visiting head of state. The British Tax Payer has to sustain the lifestyles of these wastes of space 24/7.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams
MyloD
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:41 am

Re: Queen Elizabeth II to visit Ireland

Post by MyloD » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:22 am

I voted 'don't care' but as I read through this thread I found a few very valid points I hadn't thought of. The cost of it combined with the opportunity to embarrass ourselves on the world stage to name just two.

However, as Ygern mentioned Pavlovian responses, I am tempted to suggest we conveniently leave crates of eggs stacked in the middle of O'Connell street. We provided paving cobbles for the shinners the last time, so I see this as a damage limitation exercise. :mrgreen:
munsterdevil
Posts: 737
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:23 pm

Re: Queen Elizabeth II to visit Ireland

Post by munsterdevil » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:05 pm

The cost of it is NOT a valid point, umpteen other heads of state visit here and there is nothing about it.
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 637
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:02 pm
Location: Baile Átha Cliath

Re: Queen Elizabeth II to visit Ireland

Post by Bik » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:06 am

munsterdevil wrote:The cost of it is NOT a valid point, umpteen other heads of state visit here and there is nothing about it.
The cost is a major valid point, a visit from the queen of Denmark would cost a miniscule fraction of a visit by Mrs Windsor.
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
munsterdevil
Posts: 737
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:23 pm

Re: Queen Elizabeth II to visit Ireland

Post by munsterdevil » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:11 am

Bik wrote:
munsterdevil wrote:The cost of it is NOT a valid point, umpteen other heads of state visit here and there is nothing about it.
The cost is a major valid point, a visit from the queen of Denmark would cost a miniscule fraction of a visit by Mrs Windsor.
I still don't buy it Bik, whether it costs loads or little is irrelevant, can we honestly say to a head of state, "sorry, but it's going to cost too much to have you here, whereas if you were not that well known, we could have had you no problem."
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 637
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:02 pm
Location: Baile Átha Cliath

Re: Queen Elizabeth II to visit Ireland

Post by Bik » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:11 am

munsterdevil wrote:
Bik wrote:
munsterdevil wrote:The cost of it is NOT a valid point, umpteen other heads of state visit here and there is nothing about it.
The cost is a major valid point, a visit from the queen of Denmark would cost a miniscule fraction of a visit by Mrs Windsor.
I still don't buy it Bik, whether it costs loads or little is irrelevant, can we honestly say to a head of state, "sorry, but it's going to cost too much to have you here, whereas if you were not that well known, we could have had you no problem."
That depends on the public interest. If the majority of tax payers were in favour of the visit then perhaps the cost is valid but when the majority vary from apathetic to hostile and especially in a time of recession when the cost of her holiday would pay for a school, then no thank you Mrs Windsor.
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
Gar
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:32 pm

Re: Queen Elizabeth II to visit Ireland

Post by Gar » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:55 pm

Has anyone else seen the "No Royal Visit Protest March" posters that have been put up by erigi or whatever they are called ?
I have to giggle every time I see one as the last line after the date and the details of the march says "All Welcome"

I often consider sticking in "except Liz Windsor !"
Post Reply