Disappointed in Donegal

Discuss Irish and International politics
benroe

Disappointed in Donegal

Post by benroe » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:10 pm

Despite Fianna Fail getting us into this mess , despite the fact that everything they have done since has only made things worse, despite the Celtic tiger all but passing us by , despite our biggest industry (fishing) being all but closed down,despite the fact that we have the worst roads,public transport(not an inch of railway or motorway). Despite the fact that we were the only county to vote against European federalism, despite Mary Cock already "representing"us 1 in 5 Donegal voters still voted for Fianna Fecking Fail.
I have nothing against Pierce Doherty,fair play to him but i am disappointed in Fine Gael and Labour for their lack of effort and i hope when the general election roles around they wont be as complacent.

It does beg the question though ,how many people have swallowed the 4 year plan.A document that will lose all relevance after the general election.....
Benroe
munsterdevil

Re: Disappointed in Donegal

Post by munsterdevil » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:30 pm

benroe wrote:but i am disappointed in Fine Gael and Labour for their lack of effort
I'm not too sure that the result was anything to do with a lack of effort to be honest, I mean the constituency basically became a playground for the country's political war, and all the party leaders were there campaigning.

However, as Bik mentioned a few posts back, many of the disgruntled traditional FF voters are turning to Sinn Féin, they won't turn towards FG because tradition won't let them!
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:45 pm

Are we going to end up with a hammed together, limp wristed rainbow coalition where every policy produced has to be designed by a committee?

We desperately need a strong majority government.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
munsterdevil

Post by munsterdevil » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:55 pm

It's also worth pointing out, as has just been on RTÉ News, that just because Pearse Doherty got in for Sinn Féin, it doesn't mean that it is just the result of a "protest" vote. He appears to be a popular man above there in Donegal South West, so Kudos to him.
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke
munsterdevil

Post by munsterdevil » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:56 pm

bipedalhumanoid wrote:Are we going to end up with a hammed together, limp wristed rainbow coalition where every policy produced has to be designed by a committee?

(Un)fortunately Biped, coalitions are one of the characteristics of the PR STV polling system, so it's likely.
benroe

Post by benroe » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:07 pm

I would rather see 2 or 3 parties hammer out a deal in public rather than another executive government drip feeding us information as it suits them.
Benroe
Hemingway
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Hemingway » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:00 pm

I giggle at the people calling for Michael O Leary to be the first Irish Dictator!
Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:25 pm

benroe wrote:I would rather see 2 or 3 parties hammer out a deal in public rather than another executive government drip feeding us information as it suits them.
You mean like FF are currently "hammering it out together" with the greens and Jackie Healy Rae. Where certain independents can hold the entire country to ransom to progress their own own agendas?

Is it just me who thinks that if you want to implement a fair and balanced but harsh budget, you need to do it without one prick telling you you're not allowed to touch education, another insisting you can't touch pensions and someone else blocking any proposal that has any negative impact on his consituency?
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:19 pm

bipedalhumanoid wrote:A
how will we get that then?
والقس هو مجنون
benroe

Post by benroe » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:36 pm

I dont think you can use FF the greens and M H Ray as a yardstick for anything except arrogance,negligence, greed and self preservation, what we will have after the election will be 2 similar sized parties with at least 1 thing in common, a hunger for power,this will be enough to allow compromise on both sides.
Benroe