the irish catholic and gambling

Discuss Irish and International politics
Post Reply
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1018
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:21 pm
Location: Dublin

the irish catholic and gambling

Post by chemicals » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:42 am

Odd as it may seem I actually agree with a lot in this article :shock:

An Bord Pleanála has granted planning permission to build a controversial €460m 'super casino' in Two Mile Borris, Co. Tipperary but what effect will such a massive gambling development have on the local community, and on Irish people?

http://www.irishcatholic.ie/site/conten ... r-children
والقس هو مجنون
bipedalhumanoid
Posts: 2675
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:55 pm

Re: the irish catholic and gambling

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:11 am

chemicals wrote:Odd as it may seem I actually agree with a lot in this article :shock:

An Bord Pleanála has granted planning permission to build a controversial €460m 'super casino' in Two Mile Borris, Co. Tipperary but what effect will such a massive gambling development have on the local community, and on Irish people?

http://www.irishcatholic.ie/site/conten ... r-children
I remember when poker machines and casinos were made legal in Queensland. These things ruin lives. It's madening to see a pub open at 8:00 in the morning (2 hours before they're allowed to start serving) to let in all the old age pensioners in who were lined up outside, anxious to put all their money into a machine that is programmed to return 60% of what goes into it.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1280
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:04 pm
Location: Co. CORK
Contact:

Re: the irish catholic and gambling

Post by aZerogodist » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:12 pm

I can't see the point of this, even if it was classed as entertainment, it's not as if people has an abundance of disposable cash, we all have seen the effects of the property gamble.

I agree with the article, but the irishcatholic does kind of over-blame crime increase in the US on super casinos.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 3003
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:02 pm
Location: Cork
Contact:

Re: the irish catholic and gambling

Post by Ygern » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:12 am

How is this different from the casinos & betting venues that already exist all over Ireland, in the form of the always ubiquitous Ladbrokes and a multitude of other private establishments?

Don't get me wrong, personally, I think gambling is akin to flushing your money down the loo; but then so are a lot of other recreational pastimes regularly engaged in in this country. A supercasino isn't more evil than Ladbrokes. Punters aren't going to lose any more money at a supercasino than they already are on things like: smoking, playing the lotto, drinking, night-clubbing, buying scratch cards, putting money on a horse, putting money on the dogs, pub-crawling <insert vice of choice here>.

People spend their incomes in a multitude of ways that they deem amusing or entertaining. Their choice may not be completely to their advantage or to everyone else's liking. Point is, it is their life and their income. Trying to insinuate that this will somehow destroy a community and wreck families is just fearmongering. If anything it will provide employment to families in the area. We can't all till fields or milk cows for a living.

Image
bipedalhumanoid
Posts: 2675
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:55 pm

Re: the irish catholic and gambling

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:40 am

Ygern wrote:How is this different from the casinos & betting venues that already exist all over Ireland, in the form of the always ubiquitous Ladbrokes and a multitude of other private establishments?
We already had them too. But there is a difference. Betting on horses requires you to study the form. pick your bets. There's a culture of chosing a few races and betting. It's not a mindless activity where you sit in a chair clicking a button for hours on end. It's also not made out to be a glamorous activity by hollywood!
Ygern wrote: Don't get me wrong, personally, I think gambling is akin to flushing your money down the loo; but then so are a lot of other recreational pastimes regularly engaged in in this country. A supercasino isn't more evil than Ladbrokes. Punters aren't going to lose any more money at a supercasino than they already are on things like: smoking, playing the lotto, drinking, night-clubbing, buying scratch cards, putting money on a horse, putting money on the dogs, pub-crawling <insert vice of choice here>.

I think you're wrong. I think they will. I think what you have to worry about more than the ladbrokes or the super-casino is the pawn shop across the road along with the need to escape the recession.
Ygern wrote: People spend their incomes in a multitude of ways that they deem amusing or entertaining. Their choice may not be completely to their advantage or to everyone else's liking. Point is, it is their life and their income. Trying to insinuate that this will somehow destroy a community and wreck families is just fearmongering. If anything it will provide employment to families in the area. We can't all till fields or milk cows for a living.
Employment sounds like an admiral goal, but at what cost to the community? I think a desert in the middle of nowhere is a good place for a casino. Some place where you have to spend some money and go to some trouble to get there. Maybe they should build it in the Burren. Noone is saying it shouldn't be built anywhere. But it is going to have a negative impact on the community. Addiction is a nasty illness, often dismissed by libetarians. Maybe it's the fact that I don't believe in free will (or even Dan Dennett's deminished version of free will) that we don't see eye to eye on this issue?

I just keep thinking of those damn pensioners. Vulnerable people in society pissing away their money due to an addiction that exists only because of the availability of poker machines at 8am. :(

Won't someone think of the pensioners?
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
Post Reply