Gay Mitchell

Discuss Irish and International politics
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Gay Mitchell

Post by Feardorcha » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:03 pm

The Fine Gael candidate for the Presidency will need opposing. In his declaration as a candidate he said he wished to advance his Christian Democratic ethos in public life and he saw the Presidency as a way of doing this. He said this ethos "will help equip Ireland to overcome some of its present economic and ethical difficulties".
He also circulated the Iona Institute's document on marriage - the one where no gays need apply.
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Gay Mitchell

Post by Bik » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:16 am

He also has a dubious stance on Irish soverignty, a few years ago in a speech he advocated having the British monarch as joint head of state.

I can't see him being elected, FG scored an own goal in putting him forward. Pat Cox appeared to be the leaderships choice but the party membership rebelled as he was seen as an outside candidate parachuted in for the Presidential nomination.

I think Michael D will make minced meat of him come election day.
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
tony

Re: Gay Mitchell

Post by tony » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:02 pm

When you hear people spouting on about ethos its time to start getting worried. I think its clear what part of society he is trying to resonate with.

http://www.gaymitchell.ie/?p=958
my political conviction is informed by a Christian Democratic ethos, based on four pillars: rights and responsibilities, enterprise and social justice.

I want to advance this ethos in public life and I see the Presidency as another way of doing so. My belief is that this ethos, if applied sensibly, will help equip Ireland to overcome some of our present economic and ethical difficulties and make us a country which others will want to emulate.
I believe in unity in diversity, but not a diversity that includes only the politically correct. Respect must be mutual so as to be really inclusive and tolerant.
This comment is disturbing. I really don't think this guy has a hope. A really bad move by FG.