Smoking ban proposal

Discuss Irish and International politics
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Smoking ban proposal

Post by paolovf » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:14 pm

I'm all for the smoking ban we have implemented in this country and regard it as a great success. However, the Irish Times are reporting that Minister for Health, James Reilly, wants to extend the ban to vehicles. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre ... ing17.html

To be honest the report is a bit hairy on the details but it seems to boil down to this:
The Department of Health officials are considering two scenarios. One involves banning smoking in cars where children under 16 are present; the other is a total ban on smoking in private cars.
I would hope that less people are forcing second hand smoke onto their kids but I'm sure that's not the case. However I don't see this as a solution and this ban seems ridiculous to me for 2 main reasons, firstly I believe a private vehicle should be regarded as a private space and secondly this is going to be so difficult to police that it'll turn into a joke like we've seen with fines for driving while operating a mobile phone.

Is this a step too far??
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Smoking ban proposal

Post by Bik » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:49 pm

Apart from the health issues due to second hand smoke, there is also the issue of being in control of the car while lighting up a smoke, rooting around for the packet etc which isn't too much different than the reasons for banning driving while using a mobile phone.

I was in a fender bender last year caused by a guy distracted while attempting to light his cigarette. I know that was the cause as his wife helpfully admonished him for it while he was trying to argue that it was my fault! :D
Needless to say we went through his insurance in the end.
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:53 am

Apart from the health issues due to second hand smoke, there is also the issue of being in control of the car while lighting up a smoke, rooting around for the packet etc which isn't too much different than the reasons for banning driving while using a mobile phone.
That issue relates to being a careful driver. It doesn't matter whether a person is reaching for smokes or their iPod, If you're stuck in traffic it's probably okay to have a smoke in your car. The suggested ban is ridiculous.
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Bik » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:13 am

As I said it isn't too much different than rooting around for your mobile or indeed an iPod.
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:10 pm

There should be a ban on smoking in any confined space where children are present. The right to light up should never supercede the rights of everyone else to not smoke. Adults can ensure their rights by chosing to leave the confined space, children can't always do that and the inside of a car is a good example of that.

As for an outright ban on smoking in cars, that's going too far. And to be honest, I'd much prefer to be sharing a road with calm and relaxed smokers than those of the agitated variety who want to get to their destination as quickly as possible to quench their addictions.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
Ryano
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ryano » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:52 pm

The cops can't stop the mobile phone users or drink drivers around these here parts...and now they're expected to detect and prosecute in-your-own-car smoking!!!
And it's necessary to protect kids from their parents forcing second hand smoke on them...but it's okay to indoctrinate them into their religion of choice!!! Next thing you know they'll be banning sunlight for producing raditation, but they wont be banning high emmision luxury cars...second hand CO kills too!!!!
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:06 pm

bipedalhumanoid wrote:There should be a ban on smoking in any confined space where children are present. The right to light up should never supercede the rights of everyone else to not smoke. Adults can ensure their rights by chosing to leave the confined space, children can't always do that and the inside of a car is a good example of that.

As for an outright ban on smoking in cars, that's going too far. And to be honest, I'd much prefer to be sharing a road with calm and relaxed smokers than those of the agitated variety who want to get to their destination as quickly as possible to quench their addictions.
+1 Could not say it better myself.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
aiseiri47
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aiseiri47 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:07 pm

An outright ban on smoking in cars is absurd. I don't like when people smoke around me and it bothers me even when people smoke right outside the entrances/exits to public buildings so that I have to hold my breath walking past them. But if they're in their car, then it doesn't affect me any more than what radio station they're listening to.

As for banning smoking in cars with under 16s, I'd give that my full support. (Assuming it's enforced, but there seems to very little properly enforced in this country.) As far as I'm concerned, smoking in the presence of children is tantamount to child neglect/abuse and should be treated as such wherever it is, whether that is car or even a private home.